Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Ok, Lets Have The Caliber Discussion

Ok, well, after my somewhat recent purchase of a .40 Springfield XDM 5.25, I feel that there is a need to discuss calibers, mainly because it was probably the most difficult part of purchasing my gun. So, fellow HellsGamers, tell me, what calibers do you use/prefer, and what do you use it for. Also, please provide some pros and cons as to why you feel the way you do. Thanks, and I hope this helps someone who may be stuck.

-Medic401

.32 .22 .35 etc are all fun for target shooting because of the relatively low recoil compared to higher calibers, plus stopping power isnt a huge issue on paper/wood/metal/etc targets

but in the event (god forbid this ever happens, crossing my fingers it doesnt) i have to shoot someone, id prefer to rely on a .45 or .357 because even with the higher recoil the stopping power is there to minimize the shooting to ~2

im not a gun expert by any means i just happened to grow up around them so feel free to educate me on where i might be wrong

• Like 1

My carry is a Glock 27 which is the .40

In the research I've done, that's the best caliber for personal protection. If you can comfortably carry a .45 or .357 then more power to you. My personal preference is the .40

Yea my mother is in law enforcement and her duty weapon is a glock 22 which is a .40, her old off duty carry was a glock 27 as well, which is also a .40. She has since switched to the much smaller Ruger LCP which is a 380 and likes it a lot, very easy to carry and conceal just about anywhere.

Edited by Medic401

Yea my mother is in law enforcement and her duty weapon is a glock 22 which is a .40, her old off duty carry was a glock 27 as well, which is also a .40. She has since switched to the much smaller Ruger LCP which is a 380 and likes it a lot, very easy to carry and conceal just about anywhere.

My neighbor switched out his G27 for that Ruger LCP and loves it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but honestly wouldn't mind swapping out to a smaller framed gun in order to make carry a bit lighter.

• Like 1

My neighbor switched out his G27 for that Ruger LCP and loves it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but honestly wouldn't mind swapping out to a smaller framed gun in order to make carry a bit lighter.

Yea I shot her LCP once, I personally cant stand little guns (explains why i have one of the largest handguns manufactured) but I actually kinda liked the LCP.

I just did the same. I have been carrying a Glock 27 until I traded it for my AR that I posted last week. Last night my wife got me a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 with the built in laser. I can carry this thing in my pocket. She carries a Glock 42 (compact 380). Not really a fan of the round, but I found myself carrying my Glock less and less because it would pull my pants down and was just uncomfortable. .40 is by far a better defense round than 380, but when the gun is being left at home it did me no good.

• Like 2

"Stopping Power" is a myth. All reports point to a couple facts:

1. A bullet must pass the 12" ballistic gel test to be lethal.

2. On average, all gun fights are 4 shots or less.

3. No matter which caliber you use (assuming you use something larger/more powerful than a 380), it takes 2 shots to stop someone.

4. The follow up shot is the most important.

So, in conclusion, use something you like, use something you will practice with, and use something you will carry.

With that said, all hail the mighty 10mm.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

IMHO, it boils down to training. even if you carry a .22 if you are well trained to shoot it can do the job.

Let's just say ok you decide to get the .45 but if you don't train and get yourself and familiarize with the pistol, ( how to shoot, recoil, dry fire... not just pulling the trigger but holstering and unholstering, etc ) you carry, then my friend that firearm is just an expensive paper weight.

• 6 months later...

.357 with a 4 inch barrel has 571 ft•lbs at point blank range and 495 ft•lbs at 50 meters.

9mm has 373ft•lbs at point blank range and 300ft•lbs at 50 meters.

.45 acp has 353 ft•lbs point blank and 328 ft•lbs 50 meters.

I know Energy does not tell the full story. one thing about .357 mag is the sub noses can have about the same Energy as a 9mm. have rifle but no pistols yet.

when it comes to rifles I would love to have a .308 in semi auto. have an sks 7.62x39mm obvi an a ar16 in 5.56 and 6.8 spc. I trust the 7.62 and 6.8 spc more then the 5.56 I hear so many horror story about the 5.56 on the internet their most be some truth to it.