Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

First Firearm

Decoder

I'd recommend a glock, its a very reliable cheap sidearm and ive been using mine for about 10 years, also it won the award for the best pistol in 2013 and is cheap for ammo, ive also never owned one in my life and only seen one in counter strike and made this all up.

• Like 6

what are you planning on using it for? for a daily carry i'd recommend a small .22lr caliber pistol or maybe a 9mm if its small enough. ammo cost is an important factor when it comes to deciding what kind of gun to buy. like a box of .38 special in my area is close to 40 bucks. however .22lr is pretty cheap generally anywhere you go.

I'd recommend a glock, its a very reliable cheap sidearm and ive been using mine for about 10 years, also it won the award for the best pistol in 2013 and is cheap for ammo, ive also never owned one in my life and only seen one in counter strike and made this all up.

G FUCKING G

Really depends on what you're looking to use it for, just regular range use, cc or oc depending on what state you live in and what you're comfortable with. I have a springfield XDM compact 9mm that i use for cc and for range comps when I shoot IDPA (international pistol shooting). Plus its easy to cc as well. xdmc907.jpg

First question from me would be what do you plan to use this for?

Personal protection

Hunting

For show

Side note do you have a conceal and carry licence this plays in to what size the gun is if so.

• Like 2

If you are in New York, you'll never get a gun. Just putting it out there, if you are anywhere else, it'll probably be cheap and not that bad. But as the others were saying, what are you going to use it for? For protection, hunting, or for the usual show off. Or are you looking for a gun to be tested, or shown off at a gun contest. Anyways, what is the use of guns at this age? Just buy a knife and shank them. Same thing, and anyways I'm sure if you carry a gun, the police are gonna own you about it unless you are a UNCOVER AGENT?!!!! Anyways, what the hell is the use of a gun, just stay the fuck home, its summer and its hot as fuck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what are you planning on using it for? for a daily carry i'd recommend a small .22lr caliber pistol or maybe a 9mm if its small enough. ammo cost is an important factor when it comes to deciding what kind of gun to buy. like a box of .38 special in my area is close to 40 bucks. however .22lr is pretty cheap generally anywhere you go.

That is the worst possible information you could EVER give someone, is to carry a fucking .22.

The MINIMUM, and I mean ABSOLUTE MINIMUM caliber you should EVER carry is a .380 for personal protection.

You will just piss off whoever you shoot at with a .22.

I know I pulled some thread necromancy here but OP if you are still looking to get a gun PM me and I can help you figure out what you need to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more. Glock's the best choice for u. I don't have a firearm by myself, but I also want to buy one, and from what I've read from the Internet, glock is very good in relation to its price :)

• Like 2

.22 is a bad choice. It doesn't have much stopping power. Sometimes a smaller pistols isn't the best for beginning shooters because there is less to grip. A good mid sized pistol is probably best for him. Just like what they have said a XDM will be best for the long run.

First question from me would be what do you plan to use this for?

Personal protection

Hunting

For show

Side note do you have a conceal and carry licence this plays in to what size the gun is if so.

You need to answer this question before we can help you any further.

I will say a few things about pistol sin general (all completely objective). Pistols are useless unless the caliber passes the 12" ballistic gell test, meaning the round will not penetrate enough to efficiently stop a person from attacking you. 380 is borderline and a lot of people do not carry them because of this (I personally LOVE my SIG P238 due to the size and comfort for concealed carry, but that's my choice). With this in mind you should look to something 9mm and above. In general, a gun fight happens at less than 20 ft with less than 4 rounds in less than 10 seconds, and stopping someone requires 2 rounds no matter what caliber. The 1911 worshippers who say "I don't want to have to shoot twice" are full of BS, any round you can kill someone in one shot but a quick off the cuff exchange is going to require more than that. with that said I would suggest a semi-auto in either 9mm or 45 ACP. My personnal favorite is the 357 SIG, but it is a boutique round that kicks like a rabid mule. That is ok, but you will want to carry something that you know you can hit a target rapidly with 2 or 3 rounds every time. 40 S&W is an unpredictable round that is snappier than the 9mm and 45. It's an alright round, but you have to be careful because a lot of guns have had quality issues with the 40 caliber and it's harder for the follow up shot.

Subjectively, let me say this. I have a pistol in pretty much every caliber and I love them all. I love the 40 S&W because I can do a simple barrel swap and have a 357 SIG AND a 40 (I get an erection everytime I hold a 357 SIG, so I may be a little biased). But my personnal preference for carrying would be this: 357 SIG or 9mm for concealed carry, or 45 for open carry. Conceal carry guns are going to be smaller so that they are easier and more comfortable to conceal, but for open carry a 1911 is a fantastic machine that has barely any kick for the size of caliber you're shooting. If I was just going to get a fun range gun that my life doesn't depend on, go .22 LR. Cheap, easy to find, no recoil, and great fun for hours.

If you really want to get a 1911, I would say stay the F%$# away from Taurus, Kimber is over priced, I LOVE my SIG 1911 Spartan, and RI has a pretty cool Tactical 1911 for around $550.

Asking someone which gun they would suggest is like asking someone to tell you whose kid is the best. Everyone is going to say their own is the best. You need to find a gun that you like, a gun that you trust, a gun that you will practice with, and a gun that you will use if you need to. When you answer the question "what is this gun going to be used for?" we can help you narrow it down based on quality, price, etc.

PS. Sorry for the rambles.

Edited by Bacardi151

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...