Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Varsity Sports?

MrToiletPaper

I'm trying to get a scholarship for college, so i'm trying to get into a varsity team, but i don't know which sport i should do.I did wrestling for 2 years and football for 3 years, and baseball for 1 year. I'm more into contact sports. If any ppl are taking any contact sports/in any varsity team, it would be great :). My parents are your typical asians, so they need me in yale or some shiza -.- The reason 4 this post is to get some advice on my future ahead, and i don't want to screw it up!

Edited by MrToiletPaper

Ask your friends which game they think your best. For me i would pick a sport that would make me better and the best in the team so the coach would recommend me to fight in bigger tournaments (by means going out the country our out of town). Its not that easy to get a scholarship you also have to maintain your studies.

look at debbie downer over here :/

Be realistic at this point in your life, I know friends who have played soccer for their entire lives, won state chanpionships, gone to nationals, and barely gotten a full ride to 2 D1 and D2 schools. If you're gonna try for academics, that's perfectly fine. Just if you don't have amazing athletic talent and ability at this point, then you better be putting like 10 hours a day into it f you wat athletic scholarships.

• 2 weeks later...

Being someone who is trying to play at the college level (not D1, D3) I have to tell you that you are being unrealistic at this point. You can't just expect to get on a team at a prestigious school without having

1. Really good grades. Harvard/Stanford/Yale will drop their academic requirements slightly, but not a lot.

2. You need to be very good. Just because they may not be the highest tier of athletic schools does not mean they don't want talented athletes.

3. Set realistic expectations. If you expect a sport to get you into a school, then think again. While some schools have coaches that have great influence over the admissions department, others, especially high academic schools, have little to no influence in the process.

i play hockey and to go d1 you have to be a amazing athletic player with good grade. i played jv for my freshman year and we went 14&1 wont the championship and now im making my way to varsity. but by all means go with what you feel your the best at but also look at the statistics of getting a scholarship

I am currently in my school's Varsity A Team in Soccer and I have offers from numberous MLS U-21 Academies and right now, I am still choosing which team I want to play for.

My tips are that keep playing hard, but at the same time keep up with your academics because I almost couldn't play due to my History grade, but I bumped it back up into an A plus.

Now getting a scholarship is going to be extremely difficult as other people nationwide are waiting for a scholarship as well. If you need that scholarship like ASAP, then I suggest trying to get the scout's attention because the scout is really your first leap towards a scholarship.