Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Audio Technica M50X

DinoCorn

So i have a pair of some Razer Kraken (not the best headphones), and i am looking on the market for new pair of headphones. While on my wild quest on YouTube i stumble across the Audio Technica M50x and i see that many people rate it a nice pair of head phones with nice flat sound. Unlike beats that the bass just over rides everything. I was just wondering if anyone here has a pair and recommends it or not. It has a solid price point at 169$ currently on amazon and i want to get a good buy. Reply what you think :D

Beats headphones are over-priced fashion products that happen to make noise on two ends. The bass is muddy, the mids are lacking in warmth, and the treble lacks in detail and gets scratchy at loud volumes which just plain hurts. So we can't really compare the M50X to beats. We really can't compare anything to beats.

M50 has been a standard and favorite at that price point for years. They don't reproduce sound completely flat; they favor bass but still sound good for the price.

An example of a flat (reference) headphone are the AKG K550.

I haven't listened to the M50x; you should try to find a store that will let you try them in your ipod or something. They shouldn't require an amp. You will know within seconds if you like them. Try Radioshack or Best Buy.

If you do try them at a store, plug them directly into your ipod; using the plugs at one of those headphone test stations where the cable is split into 10 for each headphone is horrible, the power is split between all the headphones and what you hear is very underdriven sound.

tl;dr buy them, if not them get the M50's they should be dropping in price and theyre a great headphone to begin with. when burning them in, the more you use them the better they will sound until theyre completely burned in, dont go full volume straight out of the box.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the ATH-M50s which I've been using full time for about a year. The first thing that sticks out is how comfortable they are; the closed back also results in some nice isolation albeit not soundproof. My roommate needs to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention at times. After a year of daily use i would say the drivers hold up pretty well over time. The bass is punchy but not muddy or drowned out by the highs. Mids are ok but at this point I've heard better (see Audiotapes post).

Keep in mind that the M50x has the same drivers as the M50s producing the same sound. The only thing different is the color choices and removable cable. I would go for M50s cheap if you can find them or just go with better quality headphones. Browse head-fi before you purchase anything!

Good luck. DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT BEATS JUST NO.