Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

My Laptop Gateway Fx Need Help With Problem

Doomed Monarch

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is going to sound crazy, but it sounds like it needs a "reflow" Gateway laptops are notorious for this problem and its caused because of when they switched from using lead based solders to tin based solder, the new tin ones that gateways uses now gets cracks in the solder lines and won't get a good connection, doing a reflow is very risky and very dangerous and I don't take responsibility for you breaking your laptop, but if you want to do it foliow these steps.

#1 Strip laptop down to bare mother board, take out the processor chip and all plastic materials.

#2 Pre heat oven to 425 and get a cookie sheet and place balled up tinfoil ontop of the cookie sheet, wait 10 minutes then put the mother board on top of the tinfoil and bake it for 10 minutes, yes this will smell terrible and could possibly mess up your motherboard.

#3 Cool for 10 minutes.

#4 Put laptop back together and try

Sources: I work as a computer repair technician, and the success rate is about 80% which isn't that bad

I hope it works, good luck!

Edited by GrimReaperV1