Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Starting Guitar

SleepingPhoenix

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've seen you around in JB. I've had around 12 years of experience with guitar, and I always recommend ACDC to beginners. It might not be your fav., but it is easy to learn, easy to play, and fun to play that's for sure. ACDC isn't my favorite, though i do enjoy some of their stuff, but I will be the first to admit that the songs are very fun to play. Try starting with TNT. Very very very simple, but it is a good introductory point for rock/metal and whatever. After that try learning something a bit harder, even if you don't learn the full song, baby steps. I would suggest then advancing to something like Iron man.

These are old rock songs yeah, but they are a great resource for beginners, because they are friendly and fun to play. If you find these challenging I would suggest picking up a book at your local music store for beginner guitars and reading through it. I find that having an acual book to go off of makes me concentrate a bit more on it rather than looking at it online.

As far as where to get the tabs, it's just a quick google search away. Tabs are very simple to read and require no knowledge of reading music whatsoever really. If you'd like me to help you with understanding them I will try my best!

Really anything you need help with I'm your guy bro! Everyone starts somewhere, and those are the types of things I started with.

Forget about songs, look up basic chordwork, scales, playing in position, etc.

Going right into songs without learning how a guitar actually works can lead to bad habits, and improper handling of a guitar that can hurt both it and you

Also, if you have the option, learn acoustic before electric. I started on electric but also play acoustic; playing acoustic not only takes a bit more pressure on the frets to make a note, strengthening your hands and reinforcing fret positions, but also the larger wideness of the body makes it uncomfortable to look at the fretboard while playing; a habit easily developed and one you do not want to have.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned some easy ones when I first started like: Tom Petty - Free Falling | Bob Marley - Three Little Birds (basically 4 down strums the whole way, easy as fudge)...I did use this guy to start out just learning rythym and stuff and he gives some good song ideas: http://www.justinguitar.com/

Happy callus bulidng!

Edited by Frankalincolnlogs

• 1 month later...