Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

College

Oreo

There was one of these earlier this summer, but now that I'm actually here I'm curious to here from all you college freshmen: where you're going to school (if you'd like) and how your experience has been so far moving in and meeting new people.

I just moved to the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and I'm pretty far from home, so I've been missing my friends and girlfriend and family a lot these past couple of days. Made friends with my roomates and I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to find a group to fit into but hey, it's only the first couple of days and maybe itll go better.

people already past their initial freshman move in, feel free to share youre stories, and if your at RIT hit me up!

Just wait for classes to start and clubs to go public. Normally there's some sort of day dedicated to where every club is out on display somewhere in a concentrated portion of the campus.

For homesickness, use Skype/your cell phone to converse frequently with family/loved ones at home.

Source: me from last year.

University of South Florida, about to finish my Associates/2ed year this semester. so far I've loved it, I've joined a few clubs related to my career field and hobby interests and have made a few good friends (as most people who join the same clubs as you tend to have close to the same interests and personality). But for the most part just give it some time with classes and such to be honest I met a lot of people just in class, you tend to see them around and if you don't feel awkward you can always say hello to them, but that's how i got to know people just from being there as long as you aren't dead quiet and sit in the back lol, but sounds like you already made friends with you roomy which is good as sometimes you get the jackass room mate which has happened to me.. -_- but hang out with his friends if hes from around there as well as its an easy way to get to know more people and to be introduced around.

Like Ragequit said though skyping and calling are the two best cures for homesickness that I know of for sure short of going home as often as you can.

Also a little off topic but if you ever want to save a good amount of money make sure to rent your books just a heads up lol. http://www.chegg.com/ is a great place to go to rent all books, its what I've been doing since I started and compared to my friends who don't I've said a ton of money. just some helpful info also google the name chegg if you don't trust the link.

University of South Florida, about to finish my Associates/2ed year this semester. so far I've loved it, I've joined a few clubs related to my career field and hobby interests and have made a few good friends (as most people who join the same clubs as you tend to have close to the same interests and personality). But for the most part just give it some time with classes and such to be honest I met a lot of people just in class, you tend to see them around and if you don't feel awkward you can always say hello to them, but that's how i got to know people just from being there as long as you aren't dead quiet and sit in the back lol, but sounds like you already made friends with you roomy which is good as sometimes you get the jackass room mate which has happened to me.. -_- but hang out with his friends if hes from around there as well as its an easy way to get to know more people and to be introduced around.

Like Ragequit said though skyping and calling are the two best cures for homesickness that I know of for sure short of going home as often as you can.

Also a little off topic but if you ever want to save a good amount of money make sure to rent your books just a heads up lol. http://www.chegg.com/ is a great place to go to rent all books, its what I've been doing since I started and compared to my friends who don't I've said a ton of money. just some helpful info also google the name chegg if you don't trust the link.

I will add you my friend! I wanna go to that University after my 18th birthday, since I'm in Europe. If you could, maybe you could tell me more about that University :D

From what I see here, going to college in the USA is fun! I can't wait to finish secondary school, then I'll try and find a suitable one, probs on the East Coast. If anyone has any suggestions for IT and such, please let me know! :D