Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Modifying Maps To Be Playable

Matt Marche

As most of you know, there are many maps that have gaping and apparent flaws to them.

I have basic hammer experience and this is all that is required to fix a lot of maps.

I was wondering if HG would be willing to use them if I fixed them and gave them ready-to-go versions of maps, with the author's permission of course.

For example, zs_bungalows would be MUCH better with a very simple change: a human only trigger hurt throughout the water that does 1 damage per second. This would allow people to still travel through water, but would eliminate the previous issue of humans being nigh invulnerable in the corner of the water.

If I knew my changes would be used, I would gladly make them ASAP. There's at least 10 maps off the top of my head I could make small changes to to make them more enjoyable for both sides.

• Like 7

If you want someone to do the fixing, I'll do them.

I did lots of fixing of ZS maps in the past and I can help you out on everything and anything (being the mappers leader or whatever ye call it)

However any work that you do I'll need to run through before it goes live; QA is important especially in ZS.

Give me a PM or something so we can work stuff out.

• Like 1

Yes, because having to update it four or five separate times and each time creating a new issue that needs another fix is considered "well."

Let me see, the first time it was uploaded was when everyone was complaining about the lack of new maps and the only reason your map was added is because, I assume, you added it. In which case, you could've added new maps when half the community was begging for them.

Next, your map was horribly overpowered for humans. It was long corridor after long corridor with a metric ton of props to cade with. It was so laughably bad that point whores begging users to vote for it so they could farm point after precious point.

After you issued a "fix", you simply removed props from what I remember and that giant gaping hole in the middle of the map.

It was still horribly overpowered so you did something in the next version, but either way we still found out you could leave the map and the spawn area using just a spotlamp and that the spawn area was great to cade because there was only one way up to it.

Yeah, your map went over great.

In regards to the ban comment, I didn't even notice. I'm on the server right now.

Edited by theGerryC

In regards to the ban comment, I didn't even notice. I'm on the server right now.

Ban Evasion? Ooooh I can't have that gerry! You've been a very naughty boy haven't you?

Also yeah my map went over great. Thanks for agreeing with me once again :)

Also have you played the LATEST VERSION? That's the proper version. Unless your e-peen levels rose through the roof last time I saw you. Which I guess has happened judging by the quality (or lack thereof) of your shitposting.

• Executive Council

As most of you know, there are many maps that have gaping and apparent flaws to them.

I have basic hammer experience and this is all that is required to fix a lot of maps.

I was wondering if HG would be willing to use them if I fixed them and gave them ready-to-go versions of maps, with the author's permission of course.

For example, zs_bungalows would be MUCH better with a very simple change: a human only trigger hurt throughout the water that does 1 damage per second. This would allow people to still travel through water, but would eliminate the previous issue of humans being nigh invulnerable in the corner of the water.

If I knew my changes would be used, I would gladly make them ASAP. There's at least 10 maps off the top of my head I could make small changes to to make them more enjoyable for both sides.

You might attempt to contact the original map author and see what they say. Some map authors take offense to their map being modified. But as long as no issues crop up then we would be fine with it. QA would be done on ZS Debug to try and ensure quality. As long as it passes that and is approved by GMod division leadership then it can be put onto the live server.

You might attempt to contact the original map author and see what they say. Some map authors take offense to their map being modified. But as long as no issues crop up then we would be fine with it. QA would be done on ZS Debug to try and ensure quality. As long as it passes that and is approved by GMod division leadership then it can be put onto the live server.

Thank you for the response.

I'll be contacting the authors of these maps to ensure I'm not going to cause any trouble by doing this, of course. Once complete I will get them sent to leadership.