Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Excited For Windows 10?

Izuku

Just wanted people to discuss their opinions about windows 10 coming out later this year. Questions like:

Should you upgrade from windows 7/8.1 within the years time it comes out?

Direct X 12 only being on Windows 10?

How much do you think Windows 10 will be after the free year upgrade time?

Personally, I'm fairly excited for Windows 10 and will be upgrading to it once it comes out.

For me it really depends. If any of you have read the Privacy Policy for the Tech preview you will know what I am talking about.

The short of it is this.

They put a keylogger into the Tech preview, and then stated "We will share any info we gather with our partner/sub companies we see fit"

Unless they actually state that they have removed such a thing (Or there is proof it is gone) then I'll not be upgrading. Does it look good? The answer is yes. What I have seen of it it seems like a really good balance between Win 7 and Win 8/8.1

Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be free if you own a legitimate copy of windows 7, 8, 8.1

tl;dr Pirates 0 : Legit users 1

I'm going to bet that there is going to be a catch. MS offering something as signifcant as this for free seems a little odd for them. With 8.1 it was more of an update than an actual upgrade. This is a completely new OS that will be installing. It is not like them (As far as I am aware) to do something like this when it concerns Windows.

Edited by Alten

For me it really depends. If any of you have read the Privacy Policy for the Tech preview you will know what I am talking about.

The short of it is this.

They put a keylogger into the Tech preview, and then stated "We will share any info we gather with our partner/sub companies we see fit"

Unless they actually state that they have removed such a thing (Or there is proof it is gone) then I'll not be upgrading. Does it look good? The answer is yes. What I have seen of it it seems like a really good balance between Win 7 and Win 8/8.1

I'm going to bet that there is going to be a catch. MS offering something as signifcant as this for free seems a little odd for them. With 8.1 it was more of an update than an actual upgrade. This is a completely new OS that will be installing. It is not like them (As far as I am aware) to do something like this when it concerns Windows.

They pretty much confirmed it. It will be like windows 8.1 to windows 10 since you have OneDrive

They pretty much confirmed it. It will be like windows 8.1 to windows 10 since you have OneDrive

Thats what I've been reading. I might get the tech preview and run it in a VM and do some digging with that before actually upgrading. Biggest thing will be Driver support.

Big evil microsoft selling your bank info to the highest bidder amirite? It's pre release software running telemetry to gather info to improve the os, it will likely not be in the final version. People need to relax.

Biggest thing will be Driver support.

This isn't vista everything should be and has been fine for me at least. If it works on 8.1, 95% chance it's fine in 10.

Also read this and make your own conclusions, sounds like you've been reading too many sensationalist articles.

http://windows.micro...ivacy-statement

Edited by Short
  • Like 1

Now that I am home I can respond properly. I really really hate touchscreen lol.

In response to your statement

"Sounds like you've been reading too many sensationalist articles"

My statement was from reading the original PP from when the Tech Preview was first released. There was very little to it and it was from drawing my own conclusions. I see that they have massively expanded it compared to what it used to me. Originally it stated "we may collect some typed characters" It didn't really elaborate beyond that and definitely was nothing like what it is now.

The other thing that I am noticing is that the following sections are the only parts that are actually the same from when I read it.

Controlling the Transmission of Data

Use of the Program software and services is at your discretion. Many features that transmit data to Microsoft are enabled automatically. You will not have the option to turn off the transmission of data for certain features in the Program software and services.
To stop the transmission of all data, you must completely uninstall the Program software and services from all of your devices. This may require you to reinstall your device’s operating system.

Disclosure of Data

We will share your data with your consent, including as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any service you have requested or authorized.
We share some data collected in connection with the Program with third parties. For example, we may share data about the performance of a particular hardware or software component on your device with the manufacturer of that component to enable them to improve how their component works with Microsoft products and services.
We may share or disclose information about you with other Microsoft controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with vendors or agents working on our behalf. For example, companies we've hired to provide customer service support or assist in protecting and securing our systems and services may need access to personal information in order to provide those functions. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy requirements and are not allowed to use the information for any other purpose. We may also disclose information about you as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.

These two being the only bits that are the same as when I read it is a significant change. How they originally released the Privacy Statement was horrific, It really basically stated that by agreeing they could do pretty much as they please with the info within the company. THAT is where I had come to that conclusion with the Tech Preview.

Now don't get me wrong reading it as it is now I'd be more than willing to give it a try in a VM for testing. I still wouldn't use it for passwords beyond anything for sites like here or say ones that don't really have sensitive information.

Edited by Alten