Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

The Benefits Of Private Shard

Xenolith

I have been playing quite a bit of Dayz with some friends recently, and have noticed the following:

Public servers are always riddled with random fully geared players, the ability to ghost like crazy and get fully geared is stupid. it takes away from the gameplay an absolute ton, and I am done with it. I have spent plenty of time doing the same thing, I would go around ghosting until I'm full gear in an hour, and then go get in fights. This is fun for a time but gets very boring.

I recently started playing a small whitelisted private shard server, they have a no KOS policy, which works surprisingly well. Although the community is fairly small compared to the public server's numbers, it offers an environment to play the game like it was supposed to be. Things like farming and tents can actually last a while on a whitelisted server, ghosting is not a problem, as loot will only reset on server restarts.

I noticed the thread to apply to make a "faction". This idea will be able to be taken to a far more interesting level, sparking the idea of faction vs faction wars, rivalrys, etc.

While this is obviously optional when setting up a private shard server, I think that a whitelist would greatly benefit the communities quality of players and HG in general. Having a white list would force players to come to the hellsgamers website to sign up, increasing traffic to the site and therefore increasing new hg recruits. The whitelist process would simply be making an account on the HG forums and posting your in game name and GUID in a whitelisting thread.

Dealing with cheaters, rule breakers, etc. can simply be handled by posting proof of the offense in a forum section or by an admin directly in game.

These are just some things to think about, obviously if a private server is created, I will be bringing my dayz crew over to play with HG very often.

Hope you take all this and more into consideration, I would love to see this go up.

Private Shards are forbidden by the DayZ developers and are being shutdown currently by hosting sites.

In theory its a good idea but the game is still pre release. Things will change and will only get better.

No KOS policies dont seem very survival ish to me in my opinion either.

I recently started playing a small whitelisted private shard server, they have a no KOS policy, which works surprisingly well. Although the community is fairly small compared to the public server's numbers, it offers an environment to play the game like it was supposed to be. Things like farming and tents can actually last a while on a whitelisted server, ghosting is not a problem, as loot will only reset on server restarts.

I'm sorry, but what?

Having a no-KOS policy is the definition of breaking survival. That's introducing a law into a scenario where there are no laws, it's just pure anarchy at the end of the world. Monopolizing it to hoard belongings and just have that "I have everything I would want in life" feeling rather than playing as normal under natural selection and the "Tough shit this is survival" attitude where you have the feeling of "How am I still alive" feeling, is defeating the purpose of the game. You're not playing it as intended at all.

It's all about survival. Nothing else matters. I'm not going to feel compassion when my life is on the line. I'm not going to wait for you to say "Oh yeah, here's a pair of handcuffs. Starve to death. Have a nice day." I will shoot on sight if you pose a threat to me

• Like 2

You are all debating the KOS rule that I didn't even want to be the main point of the post, I don't care either way if there is a no KOS rule, i just think it would be nice to have a more friendly environment. Not killing people on sight doesn't mean wait to get handcuffed, if they approach and seem hostile, blast their ass! All this rule would do is promote player interaction, and create more fun scenarios. More cool scenarios means that people will want to come back and play on this server over others.

The whitelisting Idea would help to weed out the trolls and dickheads, but again, that is optional.

The main point that i am trying to push is the fact that private servers eliminate players that just ghost like hell to get geared. It makes rare items actually rare, and gives players more to fight for and gain each life. It makes people actually want to start a farm, go fishing, or some other fun aspects of the game that don't really get used in public servers.

xeno, shake N bake, and me are the ones who have tested private shard and while no kos isnt going to be enforced it stops roaming groups of dickheads from sitting spawns in groups of 2s or 3's and killing fresh spawns and making private shard makes its so much easier to control the hacker, ghoster, and spawn killers.

now i know what your thinking, but making it private shard will decrease the amount of people who play the server. that is possible the only decent reason to think about not doing a private but what it will do is make traffic to the actual hg website higher and stop groups of people 4-5 with full gear from randomly joining from the empty server they just grabbed all thier stuff from and joined a populated to kill everybody.

as a person who loves dayz i hate being in a server that is full of assholes that do nothing but rape spawns and ghost all the good items, to many times have i had a group of people sitting all the spawns that are most common. for almost an hour on the hg server i sat getting spawn killed by groups of raging assholes because BATTERIES ARE SO RARE. and when they killed me AGAIN THIS WAS ON THE HG SERVER, they called me a fa****, queer, bad at the game and so on and i was the one with only a batterie and a flashlight and they spawn kill me with full gear aks, m4s, and mosins. its those types of people that need to be eliminated and controlled.

Edited by HellBringer 666

No-KOS or not, I think that private shard servers truly sum up how the DayZ game is supposed to be played, the goal of many games is to be immersive and realistic and ghosting and getting killed by ghosters ruins that realism since you wouldnt be able to do that in real life. I think that if HG wants to improve the quality of their servers than they should opt for a private shard. Nobody likes getting shat on by a ghoster.

Edited by Shake N Bake

Alright im gonna say this one more time as it unfortunately went unnoticed.

PRIVATE SERVERS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON DAYZ AS PER THEIR DEVELOPERS. ANY AND ALL PRIVATE SHARD SERVERS ARE BEING TAKEN DOWN FROM THEIR HOSTING SITES FOR BREACHING THE DEVELOPERS RULES OF CONDUCT. DAYZ IS STILL A PRERELEASE GAME AND WHEN WE ARE ABLE TO IM SURE WE CAN THEN TALK ABOUT MAKING A PRIVATE SHARD SERVER BUT FOR NOW AND THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE WE WILL NOT HAVE A PRIVATE SHARD SERVER BECAUSE IT IS NOT ALLOWED.