Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

in progress New Moderator Warning System

A Tax on Tyson

You know when a player, usually someone new, is screwing around doing things like shitcading, repairing skycades, spawncamping, double nailing, and breaking the rules in general? What generally happens is the mods who witness it type repeatedly in chat to desist whatever the offending player/players are doing. What tends to happen though is that most players who are prone to such behavior never seem to read the chat or have their mic enabled. Multiple people, mods included, will tell them to do something as simple as "remove these nails" or "get off the skycade" over the mic or in the chat, and they never seem to get the hint. The mods tend to give the players a grace period before they're banned/zlocked ect. just in case they missed the warning which they often do and it never turns out well. Rarely do the players ever adhere to theses warnings because they either didn't catch them or are just flat out ignoring them.

I was thinking about using a system like pic related that lets a moderator blanket text over player(s) screens in bright flashing red or some other obvious color so that there is absolutely no possible way they can miss these warnings. Those who continue to break the rules are then dealt with after a minute or so as those who ignore said warnings are by process of elimination either trolling or new to the gamemode. Moderators can also use this system to instruct the server globally to cease things like repairing skycade, spawn camping after wave 3, or server-wide mic/chat spamming.

The problem is I'm not sure if it's possible to manipulate the game engine into doing something like that, but if it is, I'm confident that kleiners shitcading and trolling will go down immensely should this system be used appropriately. I'd do it myself but I'm no coder.

post-30386-0-75117000-1438125876_thumb.jpg

Edited by A Tax on Tyson
  • Like 10

I don't think the coding for something like this would be too hard to implement. There would have to be multiple commands for them, one for serverwide messages, one for private messages that display onscreen.

The problem would come if it starts to get in peoples way. Maybe instead of the afk message where its midscreen, it flashes grey and white on the top, bottom, or sides of the screen for the serverwide, and for the private ones it can do the same thing, but midscreen, so that they do not miss it. Otherwise it seems like a good idea.

Edited by DigitalPrintz

The thing is, with CS:S atleast through SourceMod, the only way that admins were able to do that made it visible to all players on the server, and it usually just got abused.

Having a policy and not going straight to a punishment when trying to deal with players is there for a reason. If you warn a player through both voice and text, then you continue with whatever punishments are fit for their actions. This is why admins are required to warn before taking action for most cases.

I don't have much experience admining in GMOD, but in CS:S or CS:GO, using all talk or psay, or whichever preferred way for admins to reach a player, usually does the job.

This would most likely be a great idea if its possible to make it player specific and not appear to everyone in the server.

Problem with zs is that most people aren't paying attention to chat, they're trying to pay attention to not dying, or doing something else. One of the things I like with the serverwide one, is that during certain things like skycading, we can tell the entire server not to repair the skycade while it is not being damaged by zombies, which is against the rules and considered exploiting. For the entirety of my modding on zs, only 4 or 5 out of maybe 20 or 25 people doing it have ever acknowledged that they have seen the message, either by stopping doing it, or by actually saying "sorry, didn't know"

I know that a good number of the games on csgo don't require all of your attention to play it, like jailbreak, so that may be the reason why most of your messages are seen, since players are looking at chat as well while waiting for something. Unfortunately for voice chat, theres a load of players on ZS trying to guide the team or communicate certain things, such as where bosses are, or the status of the cade, so voicechat is usually ignored if its directed at certain people.

Edited by DigitalPrintz

it would be nice, problem is mods usualy dont even warn over chat or voice so... i doubt they will use it.

too bad this is entirely false.

+1 to this idea. zs gets intense and there are so many players that chat can get full and hard to keep up with.

i generally try to use !p to message people which tends to work a bit better than trying to warn a player in general chat. 99% of offenders of our rules just don't know them and a simple reminder via psay command tends to work really well and be effective.

in fact i've had such good luck with it, i haven't even had to ban a single player and only a few kicks. the ones looking for attention are deprived of it when you use psay as they want everyone in the server to see them as a disturbance.

i think psay is good for warning for small stuff like banned words or spamming

while this new system would be good to get the attention of shitcaders or people standing on skycade props quickly and efficiently

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

you all realize this has been implemented right? just without the big flashing in front of you, its more subtle but still easily visible by all server population. it appears in the middle of your screen as text. i use it every now and then. its useful to tell humans to fall back if they are delaying a map or spawn camping zombies.