Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Zs_Ancientsands_V4

So this is going to be a pretty massive update for ancient sands. There is a strong love/hate relationship with this map. i really like the setting and details of this map, however there is much to be added/refined.

07/31/2015

Most of the under the hood stuff is done. went from about 15k worthless portals down to 3k ONLY using func_detail. geez.

added some hint/skip to optimize portals and now at a nice 4.5k. always more can be done with hint/skip but for now it will do since i will be changing more parts of it.

lighting was also a big issue/easy fix. so that's done

other than that, just map balancing and giving it a makeover to make it feel new and fun again

beta 1

fixes include:

-massive overhaul of visleafs and portals for general optimization

-LOTS of func_detail added to improve portal generation by hammer

-ridiculous brightness turned down

-teleport added for zombie spawn so zombies don't have to walk so far down the cave

-more weapons added to christmas land (will be harder to unlock teleporter)

-new areas/cade spots

-player clip to prevent skycading in christmas land

-added some lights in zombie spawn to shine on the teleporters to make them a bit more obvious. looking into a way to label them so zombies know which teleporter goes where.

-extended ladder in well cade to make it easier to go back up after falling down.

to be added:

-push triggers to keep humans out of zombie spawn and cave

-increase difficulty to unlock christmas land

-more map balance (can fast zombies be unlocked at round 2? i feel this would balance the map out pretty well)

-more barricading locations

-signs on zombie spawn teleporters to tell zombies where each teleporter goes

bugs:

-random brush next to christmas tree that literally came from no where and does not appear in hammer. gonna have to talk to skay about this.

-push trigger not working (more than likely i'm doing something wrong)

download:

-beta1 bsp

-beta1 vmf

Edited by IMI4tth3w

Pls no fasties on wave 2 it will destroy the map altogether and make on of my best maps on the server unplayable.

and by "unplayable" you mean "i won't be able to point whore with snipers on the roof top past on wave 2 as easy now"

the only issue with the map is the size and 90% of zombies don't know or utilize the teleports. giving fast zombies on wave 2 will force humans into cades much sooner and make it more difficult to built multiple ridiculously overpowered cades. the map is already quite OP for humans. if there's 3 or more half decent cades, its pretty much GG, and hg has caders that can throw up some decent cades rather quickly. zombie spawns can be difficult as well.

at this point i'm just entertaining ideas for actual modifications to the map now that most of the optimizing is out of the way. please feel free to let me know if my thinking is wrong and if there is a better/other solution

Edited by IMI4tth3w

and by "unplayable" you mean "i won't be able to point whore with snipers on the roof top past on wave 2 as easy now"

the only issue with the map is the size and 90% of zombies don't know or utilize the teleports. giving fast zombies on wave 2 will force humans into cades much sooner and make it more difficult to built multiple ridiculously overpowered cades. the map is already quite OP for humans. if there's 3 or more half decent cades, its pretty much GG, and hg has caders that can throw up some decent cades rather quickly. zombie spawns can be difficult as well.

at this point i'm just entertaining ideas for actual modifications to the map now that most of the optimizing is out of the way. please feel free to let me know if my thinking is wrong and if there is a better/other solution

How about in zombie spawn you lighten up the room and add signs to the teleporters so they know where they want to go on the map.

Edited by The Gaming Limit

How about in zombie spawn you lighten up the room and add signs to the teleporters so they know where they want to go on the map.

The ladder for the spike pit needs to be fixed, too difficult for players to climb down. 15+ Zombies before wave 1 starts is fucking stupid.

literally forgot to put those in the updates, but i added lights to shine on the teleporters in zombie spawn to make them a bit more obvious. and i extended the ladder in the well. good looking out guys i'll add that to the list