Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

960Ti Gpu?

XxwonderbredxX

Hey guys, It's time to upgrade my 650ti GPU for a 960ti.

My question is which 960ti should I go with? There are a lot of different brands and to be honest I don't know much about them, I went with my ASUS 650ti 1GB because I like ASUS and I like their GPU tweaking program.

So, is the ASUS 960ti any good?

Price range is anything under $250. Preferably more around $200. Might look to get one tomorrow for Cyber Monday.

My build specs are

Mobo: ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4

CPU: Intel i5-3570K 3.4GHz (Overclocked at 4.0-4.4)

PSU: Seasonic X-SERIES 650W GOLD

RAM: 16GB G.SKILL SNIPER

MSI and EVGA has really good GPUs, ASUS 960ti is good, but i think EVGA, msi and asus are really good, But might give EVGA or MSI the slight advantage here over the asus

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121928 the ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX 4GB version. and it says under system requirements "Power Consumption: up to 150W1 additional 6 pin PCIe power required" I don't understand what the additional 6 pin PCIe is for and what it is. Does my PSU support this?

• Executive Council

you realize thread says 960ti right?

I'm talking about 960ti.

Calm down y'all, I misread/type-o'd. For one, there isn't a real promising release date that I've seen for the 960 Ti (unless you made a type-o, too), some are saying maybe 2016 at this point. With no real confirmed specs or release date, I'd say good luck, have fun. Without at least a benchmark, it is difficult at best to get an idea of the card's value.

I would say save your pennies, don't short yourself. I was cheap a few years ago and went for a GTX 660, and it was not so great. I recently upgraded to a GTX 690 4GB, and it is a huge improvement, even within the series, and was cheaper and better than the 960's I've seen. Say in 6 months you have enough to put in $100-$200 more, you'll get easily a vast improvement in the GPU you get.

Edited by imasonaz

Calm down y'all, I misread/type-o'd. For one, there isn't a real promising release date that I've seen for the 960 Ti (unless you made a type-o, too), some are saying maybe 2016 at this point. With no real confirmed specs or release date, I'd say good luck, have fun. Without at least a benchmark, it is difficult at best to get an idea of the card's value.

I would say save your pennies, don't short yourself. I was cheap a few years ago and went for a GTX 660, and it was not so great. I recently upgraded to a GTX 690 4GB, and it is a huge improvement, even within the series, and was cheaper and better than the 960's I've seen. Say in 6 months you have enough to put in $100-$200 more, you'll get easily a vast improvement in the GPU you get.

A 690 is way more expensive than the 960. $200 more. I'm not a crazy gamer. The highest game I play is GTA V, the next is Dead Island 2/Saints Row 3/CS:GO. So I wouldn't say a 960 is a waste or not a bad card for my usage.

Edit: not the 960ti. Just the 960. I thought it was the ti version.

Edited by XxwonderbredxX

The 960 compared to the 970 is a waste of time and money. Really you should be setting your sights on the 970 since its a much better value for money and is considered the bang-for-buck card right now (its probably one of the best cards to fall under this category for years now). Or if you can't afford to step up 80-120 USD (which is rough aggregate estimates) get a 380 or if you can wait, the 380x is around the corner. 380 w/ crimson drivers puts the cards effective speed over the 960 (where the 960 = 100%) it'd be ~125-130%. Which for similar prices, is very tempting, however temps and power usage is a thing you need to watch out for.

• Like 1

• Executive Council

A 690 is way more expensive than the 960. $200 more. I'm not a crazy gamer. The highest game I play is GTA V, the next is Dead Island 2/Saints Row 3/CS:GO. So I wouldn't say a 960 is a waste or not a bad card for my usage.

Edit: not the 960ti. Just the 960. I thought it was the ti version.

I thought you might mean just the gtx 960. If you're set on the $200 area, go with the 960, and make sure you get a 4GB version. You could go with a clocked version if you want, and you would have a pretty good GFX card that could play most of the games you listed at 1080p 60fps.

I thought you might mean just the gtx 960. If you're set on the $200 area, go with the 960, and make sure you get a 4GB version. You could go with a clocked version if you want, and you would have a pretty good GFX card that could play most of the games you listed at 1080p 60fps.

The 380 is cheaper and around neck and neck why wouldn't he get that (other then le green team master race \s).

Damn for the price of the 960 4gb he could even get the 380x, that across the board is like 15% better then the 960.

Edited by Short
  • Like 1

The 960 compared to the 970 is a waste of time and money. Really you should be setting your sights on the 970 since its a much better value for money and is considered the bang-for-buck card right now (its probably one of the best cards to fall under this category for years now). Or if you can't afford to step up 80-120 USD (which is rough aggregate estimates) get a 380 or if you can wait, the 380x is around the corner. 380 w/ crimson drivers puts the cards effective speed over the 960 (where the 960 = 100%) it'd be ~125-130%. Which for similar prices, is very tempting, however temps and power usage is a thing you need to watch out for.

The 380 is cheaper and around neck and neck why wouldn't he get that (other then le green team master race \s).

Damn for the price of the 960 4gb he could even get the 380x, that across the board is like 15% better then the 960.

I think I'll go with the 380x 4gb Asus Strix version. I saw benchmarks and reviews and you guys are right.

I never thought I'd ever switch from nvidia to AMD. :pp

• Like 2

I think I'll go with the 380x 4gb Asus Strix version. I saw benchmarks and reviews and you guys are right.

I never thought I'd ever switch from nvidia to AMD. :pp

Only thing about amd i noticed from owning a few of their cards before, It takes months for them to send out a driver update; to the point at times it can be very frustrating. Since you have a new game that came out and your card is under-performing by a land side, and you have to wait 2-3 months for a simple driver update to fix it. I'm pretty sure you will be switch back to nvidia after a while. Since it happen to me 'lel'

Edited by isaac

Only thing about amd i noticed from owning a few of their cards before, It takes months for them to send out a driver update; to the point at times it can be very frustrating. Since you have a new game that came out and your card is under-performing by a land side, and you have to wait 2-3 months for a simple driver update to fix it. I'm pretty sure you will be switch back to nvidia after a while. Since it happen to me 'lel'

Would you say my 650ti would preform better than the 380x until the drivers update comes out?

Cause I'm thinking anything is better than the card I have now.

Edited by XxwonderbredxX

Would you say my 650ti would preform better than the 380x until the drivers update comes out?

WellinformedSourAsianlion.gif

What.

Not at all, anyone who thinks the grass is that much greener on the other side should look at tech forums for both brands and you will see both have issues.

Edited by Short

• 4 weeks later...