Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Those Who Moved Out At 18

HappyPants

God, if you can. Don't.

Fuzzy's post is very true. Moving out at 18 is very difficult to maintain income unless you have a nice paying job. It was difficult enough for myself and my girlfriend at the time. If moving out is your only option, then good things to learn quickly is how to cook healthy meals, cleaning your place occasionally and not forgetting to turn things off when done. These few tips should make living by yourself a bit easier and less stressful. I wish I had advice like this a year ago. :push:
  • Like 2

In a way i agree with fuzzy where if you have the choice don't. but probably not for the same reason. I wish what i would have done if i had the option was to stay at home and work. collect and save money. It was hard going from no bills to rent, electricity, phone bill, internet ect without having shit saved up. it was living paycheck to paycheck for awhile. but if you don't have the option of staying at home as i did then all i can say is keep a decent paying job steady. pay bills on time, don't let that shit pile up. but try to have fun too because the stress can eat you alive. im not trying to scare you from moving out because it was a great experience and made me grow up really fast. just be ready for what life may throw at you.

• Like 1

Apart from what others have said (job situation, ability to not move out etc), you may want to examine your current life situation in terms of the other aspects.... namely the following:

1. Social situation

If you intend on moving out on your own at 18 into a place, you may want to consider shared accomodation. It is cheaper in general. You may not have the option and we don't know your life story so there's that possibility.

When you arrive (~3000 miles away), I'd strongly suggest getting to know your neighbours and surroundings. Try to familiarise and at all possible, get on their good side. It is better that you have friends then foes or people that resent your existence around you. The reason why you want that is that, they may be willing to help you out in a hunch with for instance, food or chores around the place. However, not everyone is willing and it honestly depends on the person. YMMV with the former.

2. Saving is a huge aspect.

Depending on where you live, try to find flyers, coupons... whatever you can to chop down your daily expenditures Be thrifty as fuck with your food and spending on the necessities. You will find that it may be a pain in the butt for the first while but it will help you in the long run.

If you're working, reduce the amount of time you eat out. Pack your own meals and preplan them as much as you can.

If you're a big drinker, consider reducing it. They all add up and will reduce some stress.

3. Internet and such.

Having the latest and greatest tech toys is nice but sometimes living within your means is even more important and even more important at 18... saving for the rest of your life is more. Shop around and try to see if your apartment or wherever you are planning to live offer discounted services for internet, cable (dsl, internet service etc...), tv for less. Whatever you can do to scrounge that cost is better anyway.

4. Develop a strong working relationship with your job and co-workers

This one is a tricky one because it depends on if your job is somethingthat is temporary or permanent. I find that if you're a migrant or contract worker this may vary. As much as you hate certain aspects of your job, you never want to destroy bridges at your job... especially at 18. You have a huge potential market and network ahead of yourself. This can apply for school too. Make sure if you are working and/or going to school... you leverage your professors and classmates for help and do the same for them. Kindness and respect goes both ways. Once again, YMMV for this one as it depends on your situation. All I'm saying is that most of the time... it's not worth burning bridges down small little quarrels and emotional impulses. You're 18... don't worry about the little shits that happen here and there. Focus on creating a huge network and potential for yourself so you can better yourself and people around you. Also don't be afraid to apologise. People are way to arrogant sometimes for their own good and forget that they too make mistakes.

There's always more but living on your own is a learning experience and its always best experienced rather than just read on a monitor or screen.

Edited by enigma#
  • Like 2

God, if you can. Don't.

Uhm, keep a steady paying job, don't be late on payments. And, enjoy life <3

Fuzzy's post is very true. Moving out at 18 is very difficult to maintain income unless you have a nice paying job. It was difficult enough for myself and my girlfriend at the time. If moving out is your only option, then good things to learn quickly is how to cook healthy meals, cleaning your place occasionally and not forgetting to turn things off when done. These few tips should make living by yourself a bit easier and less stressful. I wish I had advice like this a year ago. :push:

In a way i agree with fuzzy where if you have the choice don't. but probably not for the same reason. I wish what i would have done if i had the option was to stay at home and work. collect and save money. It was hard going from no bills to rent, electricity, phone bill, internet ect without having shit saved up. it was living paycheck to paycheck for awhile. but if you don't have the option of staying at home as i did then all i can say is keep a decent paying job steady. pay bills on time, don't let that shit pile up. but try to have fun too because the stress can eat you alive. im not trying to scare you from moving out because it was a great experience and made me grow up really fast. just be ready for what life may throw at you.

Apart from what others have said (job situation, ability to not move out etc), you may want to examine your current life situation in terms of the other aspects.... namely the following:

1. Social situation

If you intend on moving out on your own at 18 into a place, you may want to consider shared accomodation. It is cheaper in general. You may not have the option and we don't know your life story so there's that possibility.

When you arrive (~3000 miles away), I'd strongly suggest getting to know your neighbours and surroundings. Try to familiarise and at all possible, get on their good side. It is better that you have friends then foes or people that resent your existence around you. The reason why you want that is that, they may be willing to help you out in a hunch with for instance, food or chores around the place. However, not everyone is willing and it honestly depends on the person. YMMV with the former.

2. Saving is a huge aspect.

Depending on where you live, try to find flyers, coupons... whatever you can to chop down your daily expenditures Be thrifty as fuck with your food and spending on the necessities. You will find that it may be a pain in the butt for the first while but it will help you in the long run.

If you're working, reduce the amount of time you eat out. Pack your own meals and preplan them as much as you can.

If you're a big drinker, consider reducing it. They all add up and will reduce some stress.

3. Internet and such.

Having the latest and greatest tech toys is nice but sometimes living within your means is even more important and even more important at 18... saving for the rest of your life is more. Shop around and try to see if your apartment or wherever you are planning to live offer discounted services for internet, cable (dsl, internet service etc...), tv for less. Whatever you can do to scrounge that cost is better anyway.

4. Develop a strong working relationship with your job and co-workers

This one is a tricky one because it depends on if your job is somethingthat is temporary or permanent. I find that if you're a migrant or contract worker this may vary. As much as you hate certain aspects of your job, you never want to destroy bridges at your job... especially at 18. You have a huge potential market and network ahead of yourself. This can apply for school too. Make sure if you are working and/or going to school... you leverage your professors and classmates for help and do the same for them. Kindness and respect goes both ways. Once again, YMMV for this one as it depends on your situation. All I'm saying is that most of the time... it's not worth burning bridges down small little quarrels and emotional impulses. You're 18... don't worry about the little shits that happen here and there. Focus on creating a huge network and potential for yourself so you can better yourself and people around you. Also don't be afraid to apologise. People are way to arrogant sometimes for their own good and forget that they too make mistakes.

There's always more but living on your own is a learning experience and its always best experienced rather than just read on a monitor or screen.

Thank you guys so much! And also for the good wishes. I never really planned on moving out so soon, but an opportunity came up that I didn't want to miss out on, and all this advice and whatnot sure does make me feel a better about all that's going on. Thank you all <3

• Like 2