Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Build Issues

BooT

Hey guys, VO here with some nice computer issues.

I wasn't sure where the right place to post this was so if you have a better idea of where this thread might belong, feel free to move it or lemme know so I can inform an admin.

Recently I started a new build, I started from scratch.

ASUS Pro Gaming 970 Aura

XFX 980 Raedon video card

AMD FX8350 Processor

Corsair RM750x power supply

ssd/hdd/cdrom etc

then a network card, and that's all i pretty much threw in there.

So when I power up my tower, everything gets life except for my monitor and I cannot figure out why.

At first I didn't have the proper monitor cable so I ordered the one that would fit, still no juice.

Any idea why this might be!?

I can get pictures of what the Motherboard looks like and all of the connections if need be.

If you need any other information, just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

a) Did you check your power cables that leads from the PSU to the motherboard, and all peripheral devices? and if so, when was the last time your 'monitor' was working, if it was at all working

b ) What kind of monitor do you have?

c) Is your monitor blinking amber (LED) or does it at any point detect it (that means change from SOLID blue/green etc... to blinking amber)

Edited by enigma#

a) Did you check your power cables that leads from the PSU to the motherboard, and all peripheral devices? and if so, when was the last time your 'monitor' was working, if it was at all working

b ) What kind of monitor do you have?

c) Is your monitor blinking amber (LED) or does it at any point detect it (that means change from SOLID blue/green etc... to blinking amber)

Yes, from the looks of it all of my power cables are in the right spots. All fans are running and all of the LEDs as far as I know are up and running.

The monitor has the stand-by mode on and won't wake to a keyboard or mouse or computer restart.

It's an HP 2311x model. Contemplating that the monitor might be too out of date, however it has the port for the DVI-E (I think it's E) connector

Since the new build has turned on the monitor hasn't been on once.

Also I noticed that when I try to open the CDROM drive, it doesnt open and the light remains a green blinking LED.

Edited by BooT

Well, if you're not getting power to anything but the PC 'appears' to be running, something is probably wrong inside.

If you can look inside, is the motherboard LED amber or green? Your motherboard (newer ones) especially have a diagnostic LED (not all of them) though...

I would try ruling out that it isn't any other problems such as RAM, your video or another peripheral device. In my experience, it has been known that these are the common issues associated with a PC not booting properly. In your case, you may see your PC 'booting', but you don't see it on your monitor.

In this case, I would suggest, with one stick of memory, try booting up and seeing if it does the same thing.

Other suggestions would be, reseat your video card, change the PCI-E slot if possible. I doubt the latter personally being an issue but eh, you never know

• Like 1

It looks fine, with the information given.

I would suggest going through the what I said and seeing what you get.

That LED is still red. I tried moving some satas around but no changes..

I tried booting with one stick of memory as well and still nothing.

Computer still runs but no monitor. I mean I'm pretty damn sure i have all the right things.

The motherboard doesn't need any special things hooked up to it does it!?

That LED is still red. I tried moving some satas around but no changes..

I tried booting with one stick of memory as well and still nothing.

Computer still runs but no monitor. I mean I'm pretty damn sure i have all the right things.

The motherboard doesn't need any special things hooked up to it does it!?

no, most motherboards are not overly picky so I do not suspect anything of that nature.

If it 'posts', then you are fine however, we are dealing more with a POST issue rather than your video card. It's kinda hard to tell.

Have you tried reseating the video card and/or trying it on a different PCI-e slot?

Edited by enigma#

no, most motherboards are not overly picky so I do not suspect anything of that nature.

If it 'posts', then you are fine however, we are dealing more with a POST issue rather than your video card. It's kinda hard to tell.

Have you tried reseating the video card and/or trying it on a different PCI-e slot?

I just gave it a shot and still nothing man :(

What in the hell did I do wrong?! I have no fucking idea....

I mean would geek squad be able to help with this shit if I paid them for it? I've been trying to avoid that though.

Edited by BooT

Ok, we can rule out the video card / monitor being the issue.

It's time to go back to the basics and work on the motherboard / RAM.

Assuming what you say is correct, you will have to start with the RAM sticks themselves, like I said, you will have to work with each individual RAM module and insert them one by one and try POSTing with them. If they do not boot with each, there is good chance one of them is faulty. (or possibly all of them, a combination?)

The next possibility is with the last picture you linked, i noticed the first RAM module looks a bit off... is it the same type? It looks a bit different than the rest. I could be off in my vision or reasoning.

< XFX 980 Raedon video card >

Are you sure that's the gpu you have? Was also wondering if all your parts are brand new or if you put in any parts from a previous build or something? Reason I ask is because in the pictures you linked your ram sticks look like different brands, could be the root of the problem like enigma mentioned.

Ok, we can rule out the video card / monitor being the issue.

It's time to go back to the basics and work on the motherboard / RAM.

Assuming what you say is correct, you will have to start with the RAM sticks themselves, like I said, you will have to work with each individual RAM module and insert them one by one and try POSTing with them. If they do not boot with each, there is good chance one of them is faulty. (or possibly all of them, a combination?)

The next possibility is with the last picture you linked, i noticed the first RAM module looks a bit off... is it the same type? It looks a bit different than the rest. I could be off in my vision or reasoning.

Well the tower booted each time with each separate memory stick.... D:

That fourth memory stick is different though, but it still works just as well haha, i was gonna change all of them eventually but then my previous build totally died..

Let's rule this into play because I've never dealt with this type of cable.

Was this the right cable? https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ports on the video card:

http://i.imgur.com/U6y9lgx.jpg

Edited by BooT

Are you sure that's the gpu you have? Was also wondering if all your parts are brand new or if you put in any parts from a previous build or something? Reason I ask is because in the pictures you linked your ram sticks look like different brands, could be the root of the problem like enigma mentioned.

I definitely typo'd there.

I meant to say I have the XFX R9 380X Radeon.

Well the tower booted each time with each separate memory stick.... D:

That fourth memory stick is different though, but it still works just as well haha, i was gonna change all of them eventually but then my previous build totally died..

What do you mean it booted?

Did you mean it boots into Windows, or do you mean you can hear the fans run?

Let's rule this into play because I've never dealt with this type of cable.

Was this the right cable? https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the ports on the video card:

http://i.imgur.com/U6y9lgx.jpg

The top one will work since it's DVI-D but the bottom one won't.

I would really like to know which RAM modules you have.

What do you mean it booted?

Did you mean it boots into Windows, or do you mean you can hear the fans run?

The top one will work since it's DVI-D but the bottom one won't.

I would really like to know which RAM modules you have.

I mean as in i can hear the fans running. Still no picture to the monitor.

I tried connecting a different HDMI and trying the TV out too, no picture.

And i never checked what I had in memory til now.

Patriot Viper 4GB

3x 2GB Samsung (jank random ass memory sticks)

• Executive Council

Ok, here's what you need to do, seriously. You haven't connected your internalspeaker, have you? There are 3 pins on the top right of the header connections, on the very bottom right of the board. This is the most basic way of troubleshooting your computer.

Here are the beep codes for ASUS motherboards: https://www.asus.com...rt/FAQ/1029959/

This will quickly tell you if your computer is even getting past POST, instead of guessing like you have been. Fans spinning means -nothing- except the PSU works.

Secondly, I don't why no one has read the manual. There are a set of LEDs in the top right of your motherboard that tell you what is going on, for this exact purpose.

(Your manual, read it: http://dlcdnet.asus....AURA_UM_WEB.pdf)

Q LEDs check key components (CPU, RAM, VGA card, booting devices) in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error ir found, the corresponding LED flashes until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design provides and intuitive way to locate the root problem within seconds.

From top to bottom, the LEDs are:

• Boot_Device_LED (Orange)
  • VGA_LED (White)
  • DRAM_LED (Yellow)
  • CPU_LED (Red)

Read page 1-26 of manual.

(so far, this has all been to help you learn)

TL;DR:

From this picture: http://imgur.com/c9i732C it looks like the Red (CPU) LED is lit. This might just be the timing of when you took the picture, but if it stays lit, your CPU is bad.

Edit: According to the supported CPU list, this is your CPU, and it is supported: FX-8350(FD8350FRW8KHK,4.0GHz,8C,125W,rev.C0,AM3+) Could you please verify the part number?

Silly question, did you notice if the stock cooler had thermal paste on the bottom side when you mounted it?

Edited by imasonaz

Ok, here's what you need to do, seriously. You haven't connected your internalspeaker, have you? There are 3 pins on the top right of the header connections, on the very bottom right of the board. This is the most basic way of troubleshooting your computer.

Here are the beep codes for ASUS motherboards: https://www.asus.com...rt/FAQ/1029959/

This will quickly tell you if your computer is even getting past POST, instead of guessing like you have been. Fans spinning means -nothing- except the PSU works.

Secondly, I don't why no one has read the manual. There are a set of LEDs in the top right of your motherboard that tell you what is going on, for this exact purpose.

(Your manual, read it: http://dlcdnet.asus....AURA_UM_WEB.pdf)

From top to bottom, the LEDs are:

• Boot_Device_LED (Orange)
  • VGA_LED (White)
  • DRAM_LED (Yellow)
  • CPU_LED (Red)

Read page 1-26 of manual.

(so far, this has all been to help you learn)

TL;DR:

From this picture: http://imgur.com/c9i732C it looks like the Red (CPU) LED is lit. This might just be the timing of when you took the picture, but if it stays lit, your CPU is bad.

Edit: According to the supported CPU list, this is your CPU, and it is supported: FX-8350(FD8350FRW8KHK,4.0GHz,8C,125W,rev.C0,AM3+) Could you please verify the part number?

Silly question, did you notice if the stock cooler had thermal paste on the bottom side when you mounted it?

I was asking about his Standby LED not the diagnostic LED. The diagonstic LEDs usually flash like the manual says DURING the POST process if you read the manual carefully. You have no need to be accusative of us here.

And yes, we did check if his CPU is compatible. AMD3+ is a fairly compatible socket,

Boot, you can check if you have the Speaker module plugged in and see if it does 'beep'

I mean as in i can hear the fans running. Still no picture to the monitor.

I tried connecting a different HDMI and trying the TV out too, no picture.

And i never checked what I had in memory til now.

Patriot Viper 4GB

3x 2GB Samsung (jank random ass memory sticks)

Yeah, mixing RAM like that is no bueno, especially when they're different CAS latencies and possibly different voltages.

So at this point, you're saying that does not 'boot' indeed. I would use the Patriot Viper as your reference point and put it into Bank 0 then try again. Plug your monitor into the DVI-D point as our troubleshooting point.

• Executive Council

I was asking about his Standby LED not the diagnostic LED. The diagonstic LEDs usually flash like the manual says DURING the POST process if you read the manual carefully. You have no need to be accusative of us here.

And yes, we did check if his CPU is compatible. AMD3+ is a fairly compatible socket,

Boot, you can check if you have the Speaker module plugged in and see if it does 'beep'

Yeah, mixing RAM like that is no bueno, especially when they're different CAS latencies and possibly different voltages.

So at this point, you're saying that does not 'boot' indeed. I would use the Patriot Viper as your reference point and put it into Bank 0 then try again. Plug your monitor into the DVI-D point as our troubleshooting point.

I said it might be the timing of when the picture was taken, but he said it stayed on, which would indicate a CPU issue. But seriously, beep codes are the quickest way to tell if your computer is POSTing or not, which you were still trying to determine. Jumping around and guessing isn't a great way to troubleshoot.

I said it might be the timing of when the picture was taken, but he said it stayed on, which would indicate a CPU issue. But seriously, beep codes are the quickest way to tell if your computer is POSTing or not, which you were still trying to determine. Jumping around and guessing isn't a great way to troubleshoot.
I was asking about his Standby LED not the diagnostic LED. The diagonstic LEDs usually flash like the manual says DURING the POST process if you read the manual carefully. You have no need to be accusative of us here. And yes, we did check if his CPU is compatible. AMD3+ is a fairly compatible socket, Boot, you can check if you have the Speaker module plugged in and see if it does 'beep' Yeah, mixing RAM like that is no bueno, especially when they're different CAS latencies and possibly different voltages. So at this point, you're saying that does not 'boot' indeed. I would use the Patriot Viper as your reference point and put it into Bank 0 then try again. Plug your monitor into the DVI-D point as our troubleshooting point.

So I got concerned about how the processor was sitting in there so I decided to take it out. I dont think it was sitting in the slot properly due to the plastic piece thingy that came screwed onto the motherboard.

Now that I look at the processor, some of those little tiny pins are bent out of shape. Could this have something to do with my issues?

PS Sorry bout the late response, I've been working all day the past few days...

EDIT:: I think I am going to send this back to AMD and replace it. next time I'll make sure i put the chip all the way in before putting the fucking fan on top of it.

EDIT2:: Well it's too far gone to fix and the warranty won't allow me to return it so I guess until I can afford to buy a new processor chip, this is resolved. Thanks for all your help guys, sorry I am so dumb... I am very upset about fucking up like this. ):

Edited by BooT

So I got concerned about how the processor was sitting in there so I decided to take it out. I dont think it was sitting in the slot properly due to the plastic piece thingy that came screwed onto the motherboard.

Now that I look at the processor, some of those little tiny pins are bent out of shape. Could this have something to do with my issues?

PS Sorry bout the late response, I've been working all day the past few days...

EDIT:: I think I am going to send this back to AMD and replace it. next time I'll make sure i put the chip all the way in before putting the fucking fan on top of it.

EDIT2:: Well it's too far gone to fix and the warranty won't allow me to return it so I guess until I can afford to buy a new processor chip, this is resolved. Thanks for all your help guys, sorry I am so dumb... I am very upset about fucking up like this. ):

Oh that sucks :/ but don't throw it away just yet! Those pins could be re aligned easily if they're not completely broken! This same thing happened to my boyfriend's fx8120 before he switched to Intel and all we did was grabbed a credit card and just sorta pushed the bent pins gently until they were aligned correctly with the rest. The cpu worked completely fine after that. Maybe show us a picture so we can see how badly bent they are? Also a pic of the plastic piece you mention?