Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Skateboarders Help Me!

Raptor

Hey so i'm pretty new at skating and want to be decently good at it in a year or two. (Kickflip, grind, some other basic tricks). Can anyone on here that skateboards tell me if its possible to get that good in that short of a time and how to learn tricks. I've literally seen every youtube video to Ollie and it can't help me. Then again i'm pretty beginner so just teach me! :D

• Like 1

Skating takes dedication and practice, being able to overcome both the fear of falling (which is a natural response), and overcoming the difficulty and preciseness of tricks. Start with an Ollie, and really focus on the steps. Your time-frame is decent, I've been skating for over 5 years and its super fun to chill with friends and just go skate. There are really good tutorials on youtube I suggest watching them and then going and trying to replicate it. If you get stuck watch the video again and repeat.

• Like 1

There is no real "Skate like a pro quick" scheme. To be able to perform even an ollie you have to feel it out more than think about what you're doing. Be in control of your board and your feet, and manipulate your movement into the board to perform a jump off the ground. When you lift the front of the board up, shove it down while dragging your foot and lift up the back part of the board to jump with your body.

A good way to practice is taking the wheels off of your trucks, and placing your skateboard on a flat surface (preferably grass or carpet, something that won't bust your ass if you fall) and getting your tricks down that way. It's much easier when there aren't any wheels; ironically, this is like the version of training wheels for skateboard, a-la "no wheels".

Best of luck bro, you'll get it in no time.