Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Ever Since I Moved To A New Apartment, My Computer Is Slow

Drew Horton

After moving to a new apartment, every time I play CSGO my frames have dropped to a lovely lovely ~20. On occasion they'll spike up to 60 but generally they're in the 15-20 FPS range. I've done a entirely clean install of Windows, updated all drivers, reinstalled CSGO twice now. I've tried all the launch option things people say, and lots of console commands. For about 3 days everything was smooth but now it's back to crap.

Computer is about 5 years old.

i7 2600k

2 Radeon 6900s crossfire

32 GB RAM

Windows 7

I'm going crazy. Is it possible that it's my CPU heatsink? The temps seem okay, but whenever I start it up my BIOS always tells me that it's over the reccommend temperature, somewhere around 80C. It's never like that once I'm in Windows, but I've only used Speedfan to measure.

Any advice?

Try using cpuid hwmonitor to see your temps in Windows

Also once you have it open, leave it open in the background and try playing CSGO for a bit, then once you see the fps drops go back to hwmonitor and check where your temps are at.

Edited by porkcow

Its quite possible that your crossfire setup got messed up. Make sure the bridge is secured, it might have been knocked off partially during transport, or like others have stated there may be a dust build up. Honestly the best thing I can think of for diagnosis purposes is to try with 1 video card and see what framerate you get, swap it with the other card and see what framerate you get, and then put both back in since if one card's fan is failing and overheating its going to affect the other.

Well guys it looks like it might be my CPU. Just went through a few programs and it looks like the cores in my CPU are running near 100 degrees C, which is obviously not good. I'll have to get a new heatsink for it.

What heatsink do you have? Did you check that it's seated correctly and tight over the CPU? Or that it's not covered in dust? It could have been knocked loose in the move.