Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Holiday Cheers!

Nite

I know it's kind of late and Christmas time is almost here but I'm going to run a contest for HG Community Members only. It's simple:

1. Choose a charity. Tell me what the charity's mission is and tell me why you chose that charity. For example: Susan G. Koman breast cancer research because my childhood friend lost her battle to it. (Obviously if you're a dumbass, I'm not going to pick you.)

2. I will not only donate to that charity but I will also donate 100 dollar to HG and you (must have paypal, if you don't I'm sure I can arrange buying you steam games or something).

3. I'll pick the winner on Christmas.

Thanks.

Edited by Nite
  • Like 18

American cancer society. The sweetest girl I ever knew lost her battle to it this year. When I was 8, I stayed for hours in front of this store raising about 1000 bucks for her. If I win, keep the money and donate it all to them. I want cancer gone. Kendall bayne, fight like a knight girl. Never forget.

Kendallbayne.com if anyone is interested, you donate there too. My winnings to her family

Edited by Tyrion quadister
  • Like 2

Two years ago the als ice bucket challenge raised an incredible amount of money to fight als, and just recently scientists have used that money to find a possible cure and important information about als. We have the chance to cure a terrible disease in our lifetime because of the internet. The cure for als could be the cure for the 21st century like the polio cure was for the 20th century. Now more than ever the alsa needs funding to fight the final battle against als.

http://www.alsa.org/

I will also donate $50 to whatever charity Nite chooses.

• Like 3

American Cancer Society.

I lost my grandma due to lung cancer and it sucked big time for me. She has shaped me into a person that I couldn't be without her. She meant a lot to me and my mother, so I hope you'll be able to donate to this organization. If not, its all good. All of these charities in this post are worthy to donate and its all for a good cause.

Thank you Nite, for your generosity.

• Like 1

Nightline

They are an emotional support charity service for students run by students in university in the UK and NA.

They saved my life.

They've always been around for many people I've known and as far as I'm concerned they are the most empathetic and passionate people I have ever talked to - the fact that they can communicate with strangers on such a deep and wholesome level is a magical mystery to me.

Since I recently returned to working at my university (which involves mentoring 1st year undergrads) and getting back on my feet again, I make sure that every presentation I give, no matter what the subject matter is, I always reassure the students I am speaking to that this support group exists, because god forbid any one of those people land in the same situation I did.

Thank you Nightline.

• Like 2

Sarah's Drive for Hope. In 2012 Sarah Watkins, a 5 year old got diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia which is a type of cancer that affects the blood cells and bone marrow. Sarah's father was a teacher and a family friend of my music teacher so when my teacher heard of this she wanted to do something for them. Sarah's father is now a teacher at our school. We started a bone marrow drive at our school 2 years ago with possibly 2700 new donors. From these drives that were held in her name, at least 4 other people were able to find a match. We also held a fundraiser called Lemons for Leukaemia and all the money we got from this was donated to the Leukaemia research. We also organized a walk in Toronto that's called Light the Night.

After 2 years of fighting Sarah died on November 2nd 2014 and unfortunately lost her fight to cancer. She will forever be remembered at our school.

https://m.facebook.com/Sarahs-Drive-for-Hope-202808489862246/

• Like 1

Jackie Robinson Foundation, founded by Jackie Robinson's wife, Rachel Robinson. It's a non-profit organization that offers scholarships to minority kids for a higher and better education. Also, they preserve the legacy of Baseball Hall of Fame member, Jackie Robinson, along with what he's done for the sport as a whole. I chose this charity/foundation because I have played baseball all my life, unfortunately not anymore though, and Jackie Robinson is my favorite baseball player ever and I also sort of live by one of his quote, "I'm not concerned with you liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being."

If you aren't aware of what Jackie Robinson has done for baseball during his time, to put it into simpler terms, he broke the color barrier for the sport. Initially, baseball was a white sport only so there were no blacks playing the game. This was all obviously during the time of major segregation which was preventing Jackie from playing. Also, this only applied to the majors (MLB), while there were separate leagues for minors (AAA).

Good luck, everybody :)

• Like 1

AdoptAClassroom

http://www.adoptaclassroom.org/

This charity helps teachers to pay for their classroom supplies. Most people don't know that their teacher will often spend 600-1000 dollars on their classrooms per year just to keep their classroom supplied with supplies that they need. My science teacher this year has already told me that she spent around 300 dollars this semester for the needed tools, chemicals and other learning guides for the lessons she's required to teach. They mostly help teachers in poorer districts where a teachers starting wage could be less then 40,000 a year. As someone who is going to study to become a teacher this charity touched my heart. Teachers love and guide their students and sometimes they need a financial back which is what this provides. It helps both the teachers to be better teachers and the children of the nation learn.

thank you Nite.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry the late post.

Every single one of these are great organizations. I wanted to thank you for sharing them with me. With that being said, here are the winners.

Congrats to Huejay and Tyrion Quadister.

Please PM me a paypal. I will also be donating to your charity. Twice the amount.

Thank you.

• Like 3