Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Returning To The Old Votelist System

Porter2455

VOTELIST SYSTEM  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over quite some time many players have wanted to request this change. With a big update coming soon, I figured this would be a good time to bring it to the forefront and try get this to occur. What I am talking about is the votelist sytem.

When I say the votelist system, I am referring to the map vote that comes up after a game ends. It is a very important part of a zs server, as it controls the frequency of maps played and the amount of maps available to choose from at any given point. Many people only know the current system, but it has not always worked like this.

Before I explain each system, I will throw some numbers for future use. To start, there are about 120 maps on rotation on HG ZS in this version. With the update looming in the distance, the map rotation will most likely see some switching around. Since some maps will be removed and others added, I will keep rotation at 120.

The current system works as so:

• Once a map is played, it goes on cooldown.
  • Once 40 maps are played, all maps are able to get put on the list.
  • There are 15 spots for maps on the current list.
  • The maplist is in the same order for everyone.
  • A random map is played every 5 maps, and 10 survival maps must be played before 1 objective map can be played.
  • When voting for a map, everyone's vote counts as 2 points.

The old system worked as so:

• Once a map is played, it goes on cooldown.
  • Once 70% of the total rotation was played, all maps would go off cooldown.
  • Every single map that could be voted for was on the list.
  • The maplist was in random order for everyone.
  • When voting for a map, people who did better in the game had more points to influence to vote.

Over the time this system has been in place, it clearly has issues. To the players I have talked to, this vote suffers from Overplaying of Maps due to :

1. A Low map reset counter

2. A severe lack of choice when choosing maps

3. Players being unable to swing the vote

All of these problems play into one another, but for structuring purposes, breaking it down worked well.

Point 1:

The current votelist system encourages maps getting overplayed severely. Due to only a third of the total amount of maps are required to play through before a reset, often times the same maps are chosen over and over again. When 70% of the 120 maps (which is 84) are required to play through, it really encourages underplayed maps to be played more often.

Point 2:

Only being able to choose 15 maps is a very annoying problem. You are left completely to the mercy of rng, with most of the maps locked away to players. The old system of having every available map was very nice, as if a map wasn't on reset yet, you could easily vote for it. Now the old system does have the problem of burning through objective maps early. To its credit, the current system does a good job at spreading out 1 objective over 6 survival maps. If a small tweak could be made to do the same for the old system, that would be very nice. With mappers bringing new objectives to the table, the revival of ZE to the server, and a much bigger variety of choices in survival, the time between a special map would be very reasonable in the old system.

Point 3:

A big reason that maps are being overplayed nowadays is the equal voting system. It was a bad idea to remove weighted voting from the current system, especially now that voting is hidden. Many players don't know most of the maps on a list at any given time, so they will vote a very popular map that they know(which leads to maps like banana mall, with 2 versions, to get played 3-4 times in 24 hours), a map with a cool name(stanley parable is a really big offender there), or simply the map at the top of the list, which happens to be the same for everyone in this system. The weighted system allows players who contributed more in a game to swing the vote harder. These are usually the veteran players who know the maps, so they will avoid bad maps that no ones wants to play or get several people together and pile votes into a lesser known map, which switches up gameplay. Also, the list is random, which means that maps near the top are not at a huge advantage to win every time as maps at the top of the list are different for everyone.

The old system would also do away with the rtv and random map system, which have both quickly become annoying. Now, whenever we get bad maps which end in a replay, we always get rtv spam between rounds which usually never succeed at anything other than chat spam. While the random map system was a good idea in mixing map choice up, there is no player input whatsoever, resulting in people just being angry for being on the map.

tldr: The current votelist system has several issues and I think the old votelist system would work better. Vote in the poll if you feel the same.

That's my main gist. I really feel that the this system coming back will help the server tremendously. If you want this idea to have a chance at implementation, please vote in the poll above what you feel should occur. The more support this post gets, the more ATB has to respond, so tell people on the server to vote in it. Thanks for reading, and good luck point-whoring.

• Like 13

Personally I completely stopped playing lot of time in the server because of this votelist. This current votelist is a DICTATOR votelist with 120 map around, we keep playing same map overplayed most of cader are tired to cade and we keep replaying and RTV the map, that makes no sense. If we take the example of the old votelist you can vote all you want with power points vote depending if you was the god of the game also there is a slot map name random for everyone that will avoid always voting the map at the topof the list. This is a perfect votelist who gonna increase the population currently we are stuck between 0 – 15 ppls for 15 big long hours and we are forced to wait the weekend for have some good spick of peoples,

• Like 8

HI Everybody,

I also noticed that we often play the same maps since this new votelist.

The problem is that regular players start getting tired of playing the same maps and so some play less.

Personally I think we should go back to the old system especially so terrible fixed it.

Please, Save HG and back to the old votelist...

• Like 5

This is a perfect votelist who gonna increase the population currently we are stuck between 0 – 15 ppls for 15 big long hours and we are forced to wait the weekend for have some good spick of peoples,

This happens way to often from Monday to Thursday, often during the morning there is no population and very low population later on at midday and evening. The only time population ever tends to go up is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, where it peaks at 50+ - 60+ at most, which is what most wants, as it gets more fun.

This is a perfect votelist who gonna increase the population currently we are stuck between 0 – 15 ppls for 15 big long hours and we are forced to wait the weekend for have some good spick of peoples,

Great point. When naturally lower populations have a wide vareity of maps to chose from it makes it much much better. Being forced to chose a small portion of maps that are not made for lower population stinks.

• Like 1

I've removed Shoutvote and added GLMVS with custom code that adds all the maps automatically. It just needs a ZE and Obj map cooldown system

You are the best Forrest! Thank you for the work you do for the server!

Edited by Porter2455
  • Like 1

I haven't been here long enough to recall the old votemap system, but the current one is lame. I had no idea we had over 120 maps on the rotation; I'm used to playing the same 20 or 30.

same, and i also feel some of the maps in the rotation is just BAD, a lot of the maps are small and have barely and places to cade.