Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Programming Languages

imasonaz

• Executive Council

Sell me your favorite programming/scripting/hardware description languages. Why do you prefer it over others? Why should I or anyone use it?

If you say Scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language)), you will be ignored, and laughed at.

I have recently become fond of C# due to its very handy programming environment. The main downside I have found is that it requires the .NET framework, and having a stand-alone executable is somewhat difficult to get to work.

I have also gotten more interested in VHDL, which is essentially a language made to simulate hardware, everything from logic gates to memory arrays. It can be very useful, and can be simulated on FPGA boards, but is somewhat specific in the scope it covers.

• Like 1

I got a question about those programs/languages that some of you people have said something about. Do those programs/languages get to be handy if for example you know how to work with tautologies, functions etc? I've been working in qbasic, buuuut, that's a low level of knowledge, and I'm probs still in a lower rank than 'newbie'.

• Executive Council

I got a question about those programs/languages that some of you people have said something about. Do those programs/languages get to be handy if for example you know how to work with tautologies, functions etc? I've been working in qbasic, buuuut, that's a low level of knowledge, and I'm probs still in a lower rank than 'newbie'.

Depending on the language, getting to know how rigid the language is is key. Type definition in programming languages differs depending on the language and its use. For example, VHDL and Verilog. Both are strongly types languages, they require you to be exact and very precise in your definitions. On the other hand, MATLAB is very loosely defined, functions accept almost any input, and variables are very flexible.

So to answer your questions, yes, I find if I know how a language handles something (better/worse), I will select a language to better suit and make the programming easier.

Depending on the language, getting to know how rigid the language is is key. Type definition in programming languages differs depending on the language and its use. For example, VHDL and Verilog. Both are strongly types languages, they require you to be exact and very precise in your definitions. On the other hand, MATLAB is very loosely defined, functions accept almost any input, and variables are very flexible.

So to answer your questions, yes, I find if I know how a language handles something (better/worse), I will select a language to better suit and make the programming easier.

Aight, thank you kind sir for the reply to my reply on your helpful topic :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't stop facepalming everytime I see this topic.

Sell me your favorite programming/scripting/hardware description languages. Why do you prefer it over others? Why should I or anyone use it?

If you say Scheme (http://en.wikipedia....mming_language)), you will be ignored, and laughed at.

I have recently become fond of C# due to its very handy programming environment. The main downside I have found is that it requires the .NET framework, and having a stand-alone executable is somewhat difficult to get to work.

I have also gotten more interested in VHDL, which is essentially a language made to simulate hardware, everything from logic gates to memory arrays. It can be very useful, and can be simulated on FPGA boards, but is somewhat specific in the scope it covers.

"Sell me your favorite programming/scripting/hardware description languages. Why do you prefer it over others? Why should I or anyone use it?" -

You're joking right? I hope you do know that one does not simply code's Android in PAWNO, right. How exactly is it possible according to you to have a language you prefer over others?

It'll always come down to the simplicity of the language. If you're a serious coder/scripter you'll know that you don't have the choice to prefer one language over another.

The more correct question would be: "What's the programming language you use the most and for what purposes exactly." or.. - What's the programming language you use the most and do you think it's a simply way of coding?"

"Sell me your favorite programming/scripting/hardware description languages. Why do you prefer it over others? Why should I or anyone use it?" -

You're joking right? I hope you do know that one does not simply code's Android in PAWNO, right. How exactly is it possible according to you to have a language you prefer over others?

It'll always come down to the simplicity of the language. If you're a serious coder/scripter you'll know that you don't have the choice to prefer one language over another.

The more correct question would be: "What's the programming language you use the most and for what purposes exactly." or.. - What's the programming language you use the most and do you think it's a simply way of coding?"

imo I think you're taking his question way too semantically rather than inferring that he is just trying to rile up some discussion about programming languages.

I don't know if I've stated this before but: imo

general purpose: C++ (Whatever dumb version they're on)

Windoze world: C#

*nix: C++

Web: PHP/Ruby etc...

Games: DIrectX... as much as I hate the way it's syntax is handled.. it's actually a bit better when it comes down to programming.

• Like 1

• Executive Council

You're talking application specific cases, but if you are given creative freedom, which language would you prefer over another. There are a number of languages that will do the same thing, and using a different language may be more or less difficult depending on the goal, but saying that you're restricted on every project you code is completely wrong.

• 1 month later...
Guest The_Monkey

Ruby on Rails if you're doing web stuff.

For most web stuff, I'd still stick with PHP. And if not PHP, then Python. Ruby is a distant third for me. Though I do use Ruby on the file system for SASS/Compass/Foundation along with Bower.

For most web stuff, I'd still stick with PHP. And if not PHP, then Python. Ruby is a distant third for me. Though I do use Ruby on the file system for SASS/Compass/Foundation along with Bower.

RoR is the future of big business web applications though, especially now that they have absorbed the Merb framework.

Guest The_Monkey

RoR is the future of big business web applications though, especially now that they have absorbed the Merb framework.

That remains very much to be seen at this point.

Guest The_Monkey

Since no one has mentioned these yet.

Web: ASP.NET MVC 5 (c#)

Mobile: Mono for Android/iOS a.k.a Xamarin (c#)

Desktop: WPF/XAML (c#)

Because unless you are forced to work in a Microsoft shop, fuck asp.net. Web technologies are still the way to go as they work on all devices. Knowing how to write mobile apps for ios and android are still very good to know though :)

• 2 months later...

Old post, but part of what needs to be taken into consideration is what do you want to do? Are you looking to get into a software development career or are you doing this only as a hobby?

Web development is huge right now. You could get a job doing ASP.NET/C#, Java, Ruby on Rails, or PHP. However, Java and ASP.NET jobs are probably going to pay better than PHP.That's just a fact of the employment marketplace.

Don't forget that you need to know Javascript for web development.

I use whatever works for the situation. I like C#, C++, Python, Javascript, and others.

I don't know where you are getting your facts from, but there are far more PHP oriented development positions currently available on the job market than there are either Java or ASP.NET (some might argue more than even both of them combined). As it is pretty much the backbone of pretty much every major website on the internet today, due to the versatility of the language. Not to say Java and ASP.NET don't have their uses, just they have a far limited scope and range then PHP, and those who say otherwise are not in tune with current employment needs.

You can view an article about it here. It seems fairly clear, if you want a job on the web developing, you need to know PHP.

Edited by Papa John
  • Like 1

Java is the best language I have ever used! It is written once ran anywhere (multi-platform), OOP (Object Oriented Programming), and is very easy to learn, Java has OpenGL support if you are looking into making games (ME!!!), it runs in its own virtual machine called JVM, its growing in popularity very fast, and finally it has an amazing community that will help in any case whether a bug or a virus that you want to make there is always somebody out there to help with Java.

Guest The_Monkey

Java is the best language I have ever used! It is written once ran anywhere (multi-platform), OOP (Object Oriented Programming), and is very easy to learn, Java has OpenGL support if you are looking into making games (ME!!!), it runs in its own virtual machine called JVM, its growing in popularity very fast, and finally it has an amazing community that will help in any case whether a bug or a virus that you want to make there is always somebody out there to help with Java.

While I'll give you that I like Java as a language, and enjoy fucking with it, it by far from the future. Especially given the retardations recently with huge security holes. It is clear that Oracle hates the world, and hates developers for that matter. So don't expect Java to be in anyone's future.

The only place left for Java is in embedded systems, where you can't fuck up with shitty security holes. It has no place on the web.

As I said before, the three prevailing server side web languages are PHP, Python, and Ruby on Rails, in that order. You are also going to start seeing an influx of Node.js coders, as it is the new hotness.

I myself am a PHP dev for a local State College.

While I'll give you that I like Java as a language, and enjoy fucking with it, it by far from the future. Especially given the retardations recently with huge security holes. It is clear that Oracle hates the world, and hates developers for that matter. So don't expect Java to be in anyone's future.

The only place left for Java is in embedded systems, where you can't fuck up with shitty security holes. It has no place on the web.

As I said before, the three prevailing server side web languages are PHP, Python, and Ruby on Rails, in that order. You are also going to start seeing an influx of Node.js coders, as it is the new hotness.

I myself am a PHP dev for a local State College.

Okey great opinion there bro!