Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Or Used Cars

Rudabaga

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on if you should buy a used car or a new one. My economics teacher says that buying a new car is a losers game. He says that once you drive the car off the lot, it's going to almost cut the value of the car in half. I agree with that but in my opinion if you plan on driving that car till it's dead, I'd prefer for it to be new. You have no clue how the person before you drove their car. The only things you can go by are how everything looks and if they've been in a wreck. Nowadays cars can last up to 300k miles before breaking down and not being worth fixing. My all of my family has a different type of Japanese car and we've had to fix only one thing on any of them. My dad has a 2009 Honda Civic w/ 50,000 miles on it. My mom has a 2007 Lexus ES350 with 50,000 miles on it. My brother has a 2003 Nissan Frontier with ~245,000 miles on and it's been in a wreck. All the wreck did was exterior damage and a few head lights/tail lights. I drive a 2007 Toyota Matrix XR with 180,000 miles on it. The only thing we've ever had to replace is the brakes on my car because my dad use to drive it and he didn't go easy on them. I plan on driving my car until it turns into a pile of rust. Therefore the next time I buy a car it should be long from now. Cars will probably have drastically changed by them but I'm still curious to hear everyone elses opinion. I personally believe that if you want to buy a new car, don't expect to sell it unless you have constant problems due to your poor choice of manufacturer (Ford). Drive the new car into the grave and I think it's a good investment.

By the way, I'm sitting in a pointless class with nothing to do for an hour and a half. If you can't tell I'm very bored and just looking for something to do. You'll probably be seeing these types of random threads throughout the week from me.

• Like 3

I personally believe that if you want to buy a new car, don't expect to sell it unless you have constant problems due to your poor choice of manufacturer (Ford).

I drive this; a 1999 Mercury Sable GS

1999_mercury_sable_4_dr_gs_sedan-pic-41804.jpeg

Which is basically a 1999 Ford Taurus GL and it has 201091 miles currently and I have had it since it had 186000 miles and since I do regular maintenance it works just fine.

The Body isn't as great as this one because when I bought mine from Tidewater Auto Auctions in VA it came with body damage. (Also had to replace both of my CV axles in the front and Both rotors in front and rear drums like 6 months later.

Now for the Pun in this Lack lol

My wife drives this;

2009+Toyota+Matrix.jpg

A 2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD. Has 67,000 miles right now.

Now we bought this car used and for cheap. Though this car is basically a Pontiac Vibe, No issues so far since August. (Knock on wood)

With buying new cars dude I totally agree that if you buy a new car you know what you're getting into b/c YOU are the first owner for this car sadly with any car once you drive it off the lot it's value is shit but oh well that car economy for you and it comes with the territory if you going to buy a new car. Since most of the cars your family owns are Toyota, Lexus those two shouldn't be any issue at all even at 250,000+ miles.

The frontier though I have my doubts because older style Nissan vehicles are prone to problems and the Honda will last forever.

My next vehicle will be a Honda Civic Coupe brand new :P

Which is basically a 1999 Ford Taurus GL and it has 201091 miles currently and I have had it since it had 186000 miles and since I do regular maintenance it works just fine.

The Body isn't as great as this one because when I bought mine from Tidewater Auto Auctions in VA it came with body damage. (Also had to replace both of my CV axles in the front and Both rotors in front and rear drums like 6 months later.

I was mostly referring to the newer Ford cars, they had their good ones back in the day but now they just produce crap. Plus I'd take your wife's car over yours any day. :)

I had a 2009 altima I bought in 2011, I think going a few years older than the newest is the best compromise for technology and your wallet. $5000 is good to get a reliable car in Florida at least, $10k for something newer and still reliable, and between $15-20k you can get almost a brand new car thats very reliable albeit not the most options (toyota corolla/civic)...or you can use $10-20k to get yourself an older car but with more options in that year (2007 benz/bmw) etc. Just go to carmax or look on autotrader at your budget and reviews.

I only lease or buy new. Usually you get a better warranty and less problems with the car. Plus it gives you the satisfaction of being the first owner.

My girlfriend bought her 2010 Mazda 3 "certified" used and had so many problems with it. Car dealership did shit for her. I bought my new Mazda 3 back in 2010 and I had a great experience. No problems at all. You never know the previous owners and how they handle the car.

I now have a 2013 honda accord. Love it. No problems so far. Knock on wood.

But the value depends on how long you owned it and wear and tear. I paid 24K for my Mazda 3 and got about 13k for it. They were selling the same car used for 17K. My Honda cost me about 34K. If I sold it right now under a year I'd only get about 25k and that's only because I had extra and a warranty on it. If not I'd only get 19K

I just bought yesterday a 2007 Cadillac CTS with 50K miles on it for $13,700.00 including all taxes, registration and dealer fees. Here is the link:http://www.colemancaddy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2007-Cadillac-CTS-4dr_Sdn_3.6L-Lawrence_Township-NJ/2121372823

My was a one owner car, I have no problems so far.

Edited by Colonel Potter M.D.

I'm currently leasing a Hyundai Elantra 2013 at $196 a month with no down for 36 months. I also got a bluetooth and entertainment package.

Hyundai also has a 100,000 mile or 10 year warranty on all its cars so I don't have to worry about the car except for paying for the gas which I only have to replace the tank every once in a while due to its high MPG.

At this rate I could lease 2 new cars every 6 years for less of what it would cost to buy a new car, upkeep, gas etc.

I think its a win win for me because everyone loves new cars and its good to keep up with the new technology that comes into the car.

hyundai-elantra-coupe-chicago.jpg

Edited by ExGBrian

I'm currently leasing a Hyundai Elantra 2013 at $196 a month with no down for 36 months. I also got a bluetooth and entertainment package.

Hyundai also has a 100,000 mile or 10 year warranty on all its cars so I don't have to worry about the car except for paying for the gas which I only have to replace the tank every once in a while due to its high MPG.

At this rate I could lease 2 new cars every 6 years for less of what it would cost to buy a new car, upkeep, gas etc.

I think its a win win for me because everyone loves new cars and its good to keep up with the new technology that comes into the car.

hyundai-elantra-coupe-chicago.jpg

Except you're leasing the car, therefore you don't actually own it.

Except you're leasing the car, therefore you don't actually own it.

That doesn't make a huge difference. I don't want to own a pre-owned car, that is more expensive to buy then to lease for 3 years, and that will last another 10 years if I spend a some extra thousand dollars on its upkeep. I can lease a brand new car every 3 years and be happy. I get a nice new car, upgrade, etc while your sitting with your owned car for the next 10 years. And my leases will end up being almost around the same price as actually owning a car due to the fact that I don't have to pay for upkeep and my lease is cheap as shit.

3 Year lease for my car = 7,046 total nothing extra.

If I continue getting leases for around the same price that would mean 3 new cars for 9 years thats the same price for a brand new car itself. And I don't have to pay warranty or anything on my leases.

Oh and I also don't have to pay taxes on the car due to my dads business making it tax free. So theirs that too.

Edited by ExGBrian

That doesn't make a huge difference. I don't want to own a pre-owned car, that is more expensive to buy then to lease for 3 years, and that will last another 10 years if I spend a some extra thousand dollars on its upkeep. I can lease a brand new car every 3 years and be happy. I get a nice new car, upgrade, etc while your sitting with your owned car for the next 10 years. And my leases will end up being almost around the same price as actually owning a car due to the fact that I don't have to pay for upkeep and my lease is cheap as shit.

I'll happily sit in my pre-owned car for the next 10 years. It gets good gas mileage and isn't terrible looking. It's a lot more expensive to lease a new car every 3 years then what I'm doing. All I have to do is keep it well maintained and it'll last another 100k miles.

I'll happily sit in my pre-owned car for the next 10 years. It gets good gas mileage and isn't terrible looking. It's a lot more expensive to lease a new car every 3 years then what I'm doing. All I have to do is keep it well maintained and it'll last another 100k miles.

You're right it might last another 100,000 miles. But at what cost? Anything can happen to any car at anytime and it can set you back thousands of dollars. But its true you might still be saving money rather than leasing.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm getting the satisfaction of getting new cars every few years for cheap while your sitting in your car slowly watching it wear away.

Everyone likes new things, people think its un-affordable but sometimes it is affordable, and maybe its worth paying a little more to be happy.

Edited by ExGBrian

You're right it might last another 100,000 miles. But at what cost? Anything can happen to any car at anytime and it can set you back thousands of dollars. But its true you might still be saving money rather than leasing.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm getting the satisfaction of getting new cars every few years for cheap while your sitting in your car slowly watching it wear away.

Everyone likes new things, people think its un-affordable but sometimes it is affordable, and maybe its worth paying a little more to be happy.

I understand why you do it but it's just not something I couldn't see myself doing. I need a car to get to work, school, and other activities. I would love to get a new car every few years but that's a want not a need. I'll just stick to taking my cars to the grave lol.

Edited by lackadaisical

I was mostly referring to the newer Ford cars, they had their good ones back in the day but now they just produce crap. Plus I'd take your wife's car over yours any day.

Totally agree man, Ford's newer cars at total crap and would never own one imo.

Her's over mine eh? Your god damn right lol.

I understand why you do it but it's just not something I couldn't see myself doing. I need a car to get to work, school, and other activities. I would love to get a new car every few years but that's a want not a need. I'll just stick to taking my cars to the grave lol.

This!

Your best bet would be to find a new car that was used for test drives and stuff. Still low miles, probably under 700 or so, but you can get a good discount on them and still have the full warranty. Other than that I would not recommend buying new. Often times the dealer will get someone that doesn't like that car and wants something else, since the car is no longer "new" it has to be sold as "used" I've seen tons of used car with not even 1000 miles on them.

What happens when you crash that lease and it's your fault?

• 1 year later...

Your economics teacher is correct when they say some cars depreciate like crazy. It really all depends on the car that you want. I can only afford to buy a used car atm so thats what I did. If I could buy a new car I don't think I would just because I can think of so many used cars I could buy with half the money and then throw the other half that I would have saved into mods for the used car.

• Like 1

My parents normally buy the 2013, then trade it in after so many miles, I think 30k or so, for the 2014 and continually do that. Used cars can be good, just have to find the brand that doesn't shit out like a Corolla.

I know what you mean, for a Toyota the Corolla is a P.O.S.

Everyone I know who has one hates it and too many problems.

I am on my second Corrola and love it. First was a 2005 and this one is a 2009. Paid 11k 2 years ago with only 60k miles and have done nohting but replaced tires on it. Gets about 38 MPG on the highway and 32 in town. Buying any used car is risky because you really dont know how its been treated in the past. Best idea is to have someone meet you at a mechanic to look over the car first if you are buying from somone and not directly through a dealership.

My corolla pictured. I use it to carry my kayak to the river and back as well as my vehicle i use to go camping. Yakima Whispbar is the rack i have installed on the car

WR5e78k.jpg

Edited by PooStar_Nutbag