Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Zs Obj Rescape

Trazix

446748Objectiverescape.png

Come try Objective Rescape for an unique experience ! Fight a growing horde of zombies and do not underestimate their hunger for human flesh.

Only the strongest players will beat this 40 min map ! Welcome to Rescape

You can post your feedback and suggestions here, I'll take a look at each one of them. You can help me to
improve the map gameplay ! Enjoy it !

CREDITS

Director Project

- Trazix

Association with

- How Super Terrible

Thanks

- AzoNa

- HawaK

Sountrack

-
Joel Nielsen

Models use by Crowbar Collective Black Mesa Team

DOWNLOAD

Do not forget to download
for best quality

Use Zombie Survival gamemod for play this map

Size 185 Mo (99 Mo bz2)

zs_obj_rescape_hg_v2
  • Workshop: Link v9
  • MEGA: Link bz2 HG version
  • Drive: Link bz2 HG version
  • GameBanana: (I am lazy)

CHANGELOG

[spoiler=Archive]

Changelog

February 02/02/16

zs_obj_rescape_beta

- Release Beta

----------

February 04/02

zs_obj_rescape_v1

- Elevator trap removed

- Collapse reduced gibs for better FPS

- Reduce 4min to 3min and message beacons add in this part http://puu.sh/mTFS9/d36f27609e.jpg

- 2 police car removed to many mb size the file too heavy

- Add many SFX sound effect (fire,thunder,rain,other)

- Sky camera atmosphere improved

- Reduced music too strong

- Reduced size the map 169 to 164Mo

- Add 2 news beacons

- Zombine error fixed

- Minor fix

----------

February 14/02

zs_obj_rescape_v2

- Improved graphic level design

- Atmosphere more gore some room

- Optimization little bit

- Size 164 to 169mb

- Minor improved

- Minor fix

----------

February 19/02

zs_obj_rescape_v3

- Removed many particle effects and props that were causing CUtlLinkedList overflow! (exhausted index range) (65535) This should hopefully be a permanent fix

- Removed all NPC

- Balanced this map (more hard)

- Size 169 to 165mb

- Minor fix and improved

-----------

March 05/03

zs_obj_rescape_v4

- Zombie spawn changed place to the top for avoid spawn kill and points farm (train part)

- Fixed fence never disable, zombie can't never take the fast zombie

- Fixed orb red when you take you are stuck

- Balanced the map (more hard)

- Removed completely the particle train part

- Removed some props to cade

- Removed 40 free points

- Removed free ender + electrohammer + 10 bolts crossbow

- Reduce 20 seconds (elevator part)

- Reduce 20 seconds (after collapse)

- Damage multiple 1.3x to 0 (disable)

- Add new spawn zombie (collapse part)

- Add 50 seconds in a hallway

- Add 2 news music

- Old fire come back

March 16/03

zs_obj_rescape_v5

Balanced this map (more hard)

Revised system headcrab Unlocked

Add board nail directly on spawn human

Add 2 news spawn zombie

Add elevator trap same like evac

Add 2 news music

The end of this map more intense

May 15/05

zs_obj_rescape_v5c

Compile the map in normal (hammer)

Balanced the map (a bit more hard)

Balanced the end (more hard)

Cannot more troll on begin the map with the hole

Add new system poison zombie, fast zombie and wraith permanent

Add new texture from Black Mesa

Add some trigger_push front the zombie spawn (avoid spawnkill)

Add sprite on the valve

Removed 1 free aegis

Fixed fire invisible

Fixed props board invisible

Fixed door black

If the human is unable for deactivating the power it will be turns off in 3 min for avoid delay

September 13/05 Ultimate Version

zs_obj_rescape_hg

Gameplay more hard and more intense

Remove 2 minutes of the map (around 40min now)

3 room balanced and 2 hallways

Poison zombie is unlocked when objectif start

Zombine unlocked at train part

6 News spawns zombie

Door spawn zombie open a bit faster again

Add 8 spots bonemesh (single)

Add many anti-aegis spot (like hallway)

Props unbreakable by human at the restaurant part

Armory removed

All free item removed (ammo, heal, aegis)

Zombie permanent removed

Change Pukepus to Nightmare at the end

Human can not more spawn kill here http://hpics.li/77ef568

Fast zombie is authorized this part http://hpics.li/1dc97e6

Improve lighting more beautiful some place

Remake wood lift more realistic at restaurant part

Tips/Info

Before wave 1 start 2.10 to 3.10min
14 Zombie spawn and 19 redeems
Weapon advise: Shotgun
12 Music

September 28/09
zs_obj_rescape_hg_v2

Some door open very too fast and dont give time to human for advance
Fixed exploit bonemesh permanent
Remove 3 spot bonemesh
Moved 1 spawn zombie too close from human
Set intermission 1.20 to 0.45sec
Put back same props like v5c
All porps for cade is is now unbreakable by human
Add 2 free station heal
Removed 1 minute of the map
Minor fix difficult to explain which can make this map a "bit" more easier

Edited by Trazix
  • Like 12

Huge criticism post incoming. You've been warned.

[spoiler=Post]Note that some of the things I mention may have been your intent while making the map, but it's important to get outsider viewpoints on some parts.

Right off the bat, the beginning area is incredibly human centric, a lot more so than any other objective map (with the obvious exception of vertigo). This coupled with the large (but necessary due to the map file size) load in time equals a very boring intro.

My biggest complaint about the map is the cues. I'm not going to keep mentioning them because they are bad in 90% of the places they are used. Some objectives have no cues whatsoever, making it confusing for any first time, or even tenth time player. There's no timer, no sounds upon activation of checkpoints in a lot of places. A liberal application of message beacons, SOUNDS when doors break and better cues is necessary for this map to be well received in other communities. Also, one cue says "defend for 90 seconds" and another says " defend for 1 min 30 seconds". You should probably make it consistent.

23baa96b2d.jpg

Side note: Bad texture placement in lobby.

The music is loud relative to other objective maps. I use pretty much the default sound settings and I would have trouble hearing other people talk.

The early objectives give barely any chance for zombies to do anything besides kill afks, and yield lots of opportunities for a savvy human to aegis certain spots and camp. I'm aware there are trigger hurts but the first few objectives are quite meaningless like a lot of objective maps suffer from, I think.

Map suffers from "single doorway syndrome" for a lot of zombie spawns. Can be potentially abused, you'd need to see how strong humans typically are at certain points.

8e7b6d4feb.jpg

This looks bad, I think it should be a staircase.

The 6 free weapons, although locked by a code, will be quickly discovered and plundered every game. Up to this point, only very, very bad players will have died to zombies. I would personally depower it.

9691a65491.jpg

This broken board will make people ragequit, guaranteed. Make it break when a player steps just beyond the electrified pipe.

f86339f3a6.jpg

Errors for people without hl2:ep1/2. Good time to bring up another point about npcs: Back in 2014 someone submitted a map with npcs in it, and it was rejected with that being cited as a major reason. They can also easily create lag when you've got 70 people hauling at once.

The boards at the part mentioned in the above picture are WAY too strong. This is a reoccuring annoyance. I understand the benefit in delaying humans, but if you get into a scenario where it's possible, but very difficult to fit through, everyone but the top players will die trying to get through. An easy solution is to link them all, and have them all break at once. (These boards only break upon being stepped on under certain circumstances)

7ca13eb458.jpg

Huge clusterfuck of death if the human ratio falls by this point. Also of mention is the lack of props at prospective defense points. This would be a good place to add an aegis kit.

e2a6d6901a.jpg

Annoying inconsistency with boards breaking, or not breaking, throughout the map. It can logically be assumed these are safe, but they're not.

The parts after this are very maze-like. This isn't a good thing when done to this extent. This map is confusing to the point where many, not just a few playthroughs are necessary to grasp it. Losing because of a memorization requirement is going to be annoying.

d36f27609e.jpg

This is the most confusing area in the entire map. You don't know what to do, there's no cues or beacons, you dont know where to exit, you don't know where zspawn is. Beacons required.

64aae19925.jpg

Oh boy, this is kicking the hornet's nest. A lot of people have been banned due to maps that feed points. I'm not sure how standards have changed but this can cause a lot of problems. Expect people in the early hours to pick this for the big bonus.

c60630a256.jpg

Super vague, again. The elevator troll isn't something you're going to win favours for. It's late enough that only experienced players will be alive and it's very uncommon for troll mechanics to be this late into a map, especially when the map offers SIX free top tier weapons at this point already.

8d24c4302b.jpg

The ending difficulty is severely undercut if as I understand it the zombie spawn is before the bottom part in this picture. You can barricade the doorway and ignore the interior, minus one dedicated obj monkey.

Map needs to be polished a lot but has potential.

• Like 5

Huge criticism post incoming. You've been warned.

I well understand your message, I agree on some idea and i will soon change its quickly

I would like to respond to your message but my excellent English prevented me

Also i need to see how is it with 70 players to see if the end is balanced and and if there are enough props or no some part

For the music i wait more reviews

And npc_zombine error i think is fixed

Thank you for taking the time to help me

otherwise i want clarified this map is study well the human does not need to advance to trigger_once, for enable the anti delay it activates itself, especially at the end

Edited by Trazix
  • Like 2

My suggestion is to add more ambient sounds to the map, some areas had no sound effects at all even though it has a raging pit of fire in it. Add steam effects for boilers, flame sounds next to a flame pit, electricity sounds for the broken electric pole, rain and thunder sounds when outside, when the ceiling collapses add a crashing building effect. Consider removing some of the music, it is too loud and too often, I think the sound effects I described would be much better than the music on the map. Finally add some skyscrapers to the skybox, this will help a lot with the atmosphere.

Edited by Lumpymayo
  • Like 1

My suggestion is to add more ambient sounds to the map, some areas had no sound effects at all even though it has a raging pit of fire in it. Add steam effects for boilers, flame sounds next to a flame pit, electricity sounds for the broken electric pole, rain and thunder sounds when outside, when the ceiling collapses add a crashing building effect. Consider removing some of the music, it is too loud and too often, I think the sound effects I described would be much better than the music on the map. Finally add some skyscrapers to the skybox, this will help a lot with the atmosphere.

I already thought about putting SFX the only problem the sound is very heavy (size Mb) the map is already 168 mo: / I'll try to see what I can do for SFX and ambient sounds I will remove the 2 police car at the end it cost me too much memory in exchange we will have more sound.

It is true on one side of the map there is nothing, there's something missing, to be honest I do not know what to do I need some time to find something original so it doesn't matter in exchange you have everything else :)

Edited by Trazix

(post)

Okay, I'll cover the sections you don't agree with, and elaborate further. Remember that at the beginning I mentioned how it may have been the author's intent to have some things the way they are, it's just one individual's thoughts. Mentioning everything I like would double the post length and wouldn't help.

[spoiler=post]The beginning paragraph is the only one I would keep if I had to simplify my criticisms. You just need to think back to when vertigo, pharmacy etc. was new ( at least relative to the people playing it) to realize how important a clear objective is. Did you notice I said nothing about the valve into steam-pipe objective? It works because There's only two paths, they don't have multiple, small rooms with them and you have time to figure it out because zombie spawns are behind. Asking for cues to be fixed is probably the least time consuming task short of the nodraw texture in the lobby. You don't have to hold people's hands, but at the lever room near the end of vertigo, it used to be an instant death until people went into singleplayer to figure it out because zombies severely outnumbered people every time (and this has happened with every obj map until lots of people memorize it)

In regards to single-doorway spawns, one only needs to take inspiration from the several broken doors and "far below" zombie spawn much later on. Those are much harder to barricade. It's not too big of a deal, but it can become a big problem (like it did with vertigo). The "ramp in the doorway" doesn't make sense from a logical standpoint, and is inconsistent with the rest of the map, that's all. I don't see how this is being negative.

Errors come from a lack of the zombine model. If you plan on having this on only HG that's fine, though. NPCs do cause engine lag, and the huge pile of fast zombie torsos later on will do it for even the heftiest of machines. That's a valid criticism too. Up to this point there's only one board that breaks upon standing on and I already mentioned it will cause ragequits, this one probably will too. The same solution can apply to that pit, make it break just before someone stands on it instead.

Next paragraph is fine. Linking the boards is a great compromise to avoid the problems vertigo has. After the office in vertigo, people can get stuck trying to make tight jumps. Same thing can happen here, without doing that.

Was recently informed you get points for winning maps anyway. Guess that's retracted. You can't deny that new zs players won't have died at this point, though.

Can you name an objective map that has a death-mechanic more than halfway in?

Dump: No.

Vertigo: No.

Pharmacy: Unless you can't see big yellow arrows, no.

Evac: Last one is the train. Underground is escapable once trapped.

Enervation: Not halfway.

Etc etc. It can be left in, but considering that not even 2 days deep into playing zs I got people into the HS secret room, I have no idea how that's salt. I was almost never a victim.

Last comment on the map, when I say "vague", it boils down to "no cues" which I cite as an important thing I won't be repeating.

I forgot to mention, 168 mb is huge. Another thing you should consider is "trimming" the map. There's places where you could tone down on the textures (custom or not) without impacting the visual quality. That and the sounds obviously add a lot. 168 mb is a lot for people to take in. Consider the population increase when construct or flatgrass is played; new people love those low download times.

Edited by marche

We are now in 2016, people have space in their hard drives, good internet connections, and huge maps comes with a huge weight.

I completely agree with Azona, we are in 2016 is over the map with 50Mo, a new source engine is planned for better graphic the size of the map will almost the double. Take the example of some games 5 years ago agame does not exceed 10GB, in 2016 we reach 60 GB. For this map it's the same i use custom props and a level disign high quality.

A lot of people who play on our server play gmod for the reason that it's easy on their outdated hardware. Not everyone has 970's and SSD's. The map file size is a huge deal also for load in time because the larger the map the longer it takes to load into the server, downloaded or not. The fact that most people are using 2010-era hardrives, so it takes a bit longer for them to load in.

ok i can understand that i can still drop to 160MB easy but could no more, 160 mo I think is not excessive yet especially with the FastDL, so i put more time before wave 1 start 2.10 to 3.10 it should not be a problem if the time is right

Edited by Trazix

Update zs_obj_rescape_v1 available

You can see the changelog for more info

the error zombine_npc come if you ever have joined server with the model zombine, this error will never come for HG server. But I think I fixed the problem, I added directly model with a software packt

Edited by Trazix

This is the last version before the test, I don't think i will release another version

I improved graphically some room

I added zombie corpse all the map

Before

http://hpics.li/3d2f4f7

http://hpics.li/1e3e48a

After

http://hpics.li/d2b66c2

http://hpics.li/ee61a91

More pictures example

http://hpics.li/2bb933c

http://hpics.li/bdc6a1d

http://hpics.li/c1034e5

My post above with new room was added also

Edited by Trazix
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Rescape is now on serveur hg we play already with 70 players, so.. How to say ? It was the Apocalypse !! Dammm

But some things are not balanced i work on rescape_v4b i will release very soon.

Know that this is the beginning of this map nobody know this map hard level. I am sure in 1 years you will ask me for a new version very hard because it will be too easy

CHANGELOG (V4B)

Frist time we play this part with 70 peoples, easy 20 peoples die in 10sec so i balanced this part more easy

Before

http://hpics.li/489e85c

http://hpics.li/a18fc29

After

http://hpics.li/2d78390

http://hpics.li/8743312

- Reduced hallway board

- Remove all board break on pressure

- Add more board

-------

This part is very hard i balanced

http://hpics.li/1a3ad1f