Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

New Cpu? Suggestions?

Seth ⛧

I want to improve performance on my pc and want to know if it is a good or right thing to do, to get a new cpu...I currently have an AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core that is going along with a GTX 970. now i know that i am bottle necking my pc, so you don't need to keep telling me that... I understand. What i want to know is which cpu should i get that will not bottleneck my pc and is not extremely expensive. I don't want a $1000 cpu suggestion. I just want a cpu that wont "bottle neck" my pc and at the same time be a good upgrade to where i will notice the change in performance.

Please don't get off topic and tell me that I'm in "TERRIBLE DANGER", and that i need a new cpu NOW or anything else, I get it...

Also, how much do you think it will improve performance? is it vital to have a good one?I just need a simple yes, i should upgrade or no, I shouldn't and a suggestion on which one to buy. (please keep it decently cheap ;P)

Edited by Seth_

Intel G3258 4 Pentium 3.20 GHz 3M Cache 2 Core Processor (BX80646G3258) for only 66 dollars on amazon

Even tho this cpu is a great deal go with an i3, as some games complain that it only has 2 cores and refuse to start (where as the i3 is detected as a quadcore, 2 cores 2 threads).

• Like 1

Even tho this cpu is a great deal go with an i3, as some games complain that it only has 2 cores and refuse to start (where as the i3 is detected as a quadcore, 2 cores 2 threads).

If i were to get an I3 like the one you suggested, would i actually see a change in performance? would it be a big change? or small?

Buy an intel i5-4460. It's a trusty and humble i5 processor that will aid you well (at least it's going good for me). It costs from 100 to 150$. I wouldn't suggest going for anything lower than i5 since your GPU is quite powerful and will need a stronger processor along with it. In this day and age, if you ask me, there is absolutely no need to spend more than 200$ on a CPU. If you want to game with an i7-6xxx or an i7-5xxx, then you should also be a fucking movie special effects editor. i5 is good enough for gaming.

Buy an intel i5-4460. It's a trusty and humble i5 processor that will aid you well (at least it's going good for me). It costs from 100 to 150$. I wouldn't suggest going for anything lower than i5 since your GPU is quite powerful and will need a stronger processor along with it. In this day and age, if you ask me, there is absolutely no need to spend more than 200$ on a CPU. If you want to game with an i7-6xxx or an i7-5xxx, then you should also be a fucking movie special effects editor. i5 is good enough for gaming.

do you see a big performance change with having that cpu?

The thing is, I paired it with a GTX 750Ti and I runs smoothly on processor hungry games (Minecraft, GTA V, No Man's Sky etc.) mostly those sandbox games in which RAM and CPU are put to a test. In my case, the GPU is bottlenecking the processor a bit. I've also seen articles on reddit and videos on YouTube in which it is strongly recommended to pair an i5 processor that is at least from the 3rd generation along with a GTX 9xx for no bottlenecking to be present. And yes, I do get a performance increase compared to a dual core processor of any kind (whether that an i3 or a simple Dual Core). It is simply the best solution for the buck. Check some videos on YouTube in which they pair the i5-4460 or any other 4th gen i5 with a GTX 970. I think you will only see the good sides :)

If i were to get an I3 like the one you suggested, would i actually see a change in performance? would it be a big change? or small?

You would see big changes as an i3 has much better ipc then current amd cpu's and lots of games are still poorly threaded using only 2-4 threads max.

The way I look at it.

1. Go with i3 spend around $200 (mobo, ram, i3 6100)

2. Go with locked base i5 (this hurts me) for around $270 (mobo, ram, i5 6400)

Prices are usd.

• Like 1

You would see big changes as an i3 has much better ipc then current amd cpu's and lots of games are still poorly threaded using only 2-4 threads max.

The way I look at it.

1. Go with i3 spend around $200 (mobo, ram, i3 6100)

2. Go with locked base i5 (this hurts me) for around $270 (mobo, ram, i5 6400)

Prices are usd.

Isn't the i3 6100 $118? or am i wrong?

- this is the one your talking about right? https://www.amazon.c...1-1&keywords=i3

Edited by Seth_

Isn't the i3 6100 $118? or am i wrong?

- this is the one your talking about right? https://www.amazon.c...1-1&keywords=i3

Think short meant it would cost you around $200 or more to get the CPU with the right motherboard and ram. Which is your best bet right now since you're coming from a pretty weak 4 core fx cpu, you will for sure notice a performance boost of about 10-20+ fps and sometimes up to 40+ fps depending on the game you play. It will still give you a bottleneck on the GPU but it's a lot less compared to what you use now. Your best bet to reducing that bottleneck to almost nothing would be to go with a stronger i5 like the 6600k or better yet you could save up for an i7 6700k and not have to worry about bottlenecks for a couple years. Good thing is any motherboard you get with the i3 6100 right now will fit the 6600k and 6700k just fine.

ALSO, is an i3 6100 or anything intel compatible with a GA-78LMT-USB3? if not i wil be more than willing to upgrade motherboard as well because the GA-78LMT-USB3 is outdated af.

No, Intel CPUs are not compatible with that or any other motherboard made for amd CPUs. If you do decide to switch to the i3 6100 you will need a new motherboard and new ram, because the stuff you have now will not work with it. You need to look for motherboards with the 1151 socket type and you will have to buy ddr4 ram. If you don't want to buy all that and decide to stick with the motherboard you have now you are only limited to fx chips which are all pretty horrible at gaming compared to Intel chips.

No, Intel CPUs are not compatible with that or any other motherboard made for amd CPUs. If you do decide to switch to the i3 6100 you will need a new motherboard and new ram, because the stuff you have now will not work with it. You need to look for motherboards with the 1151 socket type and you will have to buy ddr4 ram. If you don't want to buy all that and decide to stick with the motherboard you have now you are only limited to fx chips which are all pretty horrible at gaming compared to Intel chips.

have a motherboard suggestion?