Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Decisions Decisions

DeVoniiX

So I could buy a 75-300mm telephoto lens but it also comes with a macro and wide-angle lens attachments along with a 32gb SD card and a cleaning kit for 125.00$ or I can just buy a 500mm/1000mm telephoto lens which cost 80 dollars but wasn't made by canon but by a third party company.

I normally take photos of planes 2000 ft or above so I'm not sure what to do, those wide angle lens can be useful for city skylines since I am relatively close to Seattle and came out with amazing shots with a normal zoom lens. Who knows, maybe I'll just buy both.

Most of my shots are here

• Executive Council

So I could buy a 75-300mm telephoto lens but it also comes with a macro and wide-angle lens attachments along with a 32gb SD card and a cleaning kit for 125.00$ or I can just buy a 500mm/1000mm telephoto lens which cost 80 dollars but wasn't made by canon but by a third party company.

I normally take photos of planes 2000 ft or above so I'm not sure what to do, those wide angle lens can be useful for city skylines since I am relatively close to Seattle and came out with amazing shots with a normal zoom lens. Who knows, maybe I'll just buy both.

Most of my shots are here

To me, it would depend on the f/ stop. That's one of the bigger indicators for me on the quality of the glass, unless I'm looking for a lens for a specific purpose.

Personally, 3rd party lenses can have the same quality, depending on the brand, there are tiers to the lens qualities and build qualities of the lenses themselves sort of like this: Professional name-brand "prime" lenses, entry-level name-brand lenses, high-quality off-brands (Tamrom, Sigma, etc), budget off-brands (Ramron and Sigma make some of these too), junk. I try to stay in the top 3 groups, balancing price to value. Read reviews and such, and if you can, rent them before you buy them, if they're >$500.

More specific details would help a lot more with this decision...

• Like 1

To me, it would depend on the f/ stop. That's one of the bigger indicators for me on the quality of the glass, unless I'm looking for a lens for a specific purpose.

Personally, 3rd party lenses can have the same quality, depending on the brand, there are tiers to the lens qualities and build qualities of the lenses themselves sort of like this: Professional name-brand "prime" lenses, entry-level name-brand lenses, high-quality off-brands (Tamrom, Sigma, etc), budget off-brands (Ramron and Sigma make some of these too), junk. I try to stay in the top 3 groups, balancing price to value. Read reviews and such, and if you can, rent them before you buy them, if they're >$500.

More specific details would help a lot more with this decision...

The 75-300mm has a f/4-5.6 and the 500mm / 1000mm is an f/8 and its definetly not a known high quality off-brand.