Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

What Makes For A Good Map In Your Opinion.

Vinny Mac

Okay, so we all have our preferences when it comes to maps and what not. For those who have a general love for some of the maps in ZS, what makes you enjoy certain maps, excluding ZE, because ZS and ZE are two different beasts and both generally have different feels to them.

I enjoy maps that involve climbing up tall towers. It's something about a massive disaster happening under your feet that give you the chills and makes a game like ZS really fun :)

He just said excluding ZE... generally the maps you just described are ZE.

Anyways, I enjoy maps that are big and good for solocading.

Maps are quite the topic to talk about.

1. So basically first you need to make sure the map is large, detailed, however not too detailed to the point of vomiting and not too large in which people can get lost easily. ( Good Example: Mall, MLT , Town. Bad Example: Subway { too big and complicated, only people with extensive knowledge of the map can truly win })

2. Use step 1 and add lovability to it, what I mean by lovability is the fact that the map, in most situations, is the first to be chosen, how do you achieve this? Simple, add a few elements that create suspense in either certain areas of the map or the entire map itself , for this example I'll be using Ancient Sand, a map that, despite being very big and not too detailed, can create suspense in areas such as The Pit, or the open areas in houses .

3. Use Color Theory, we humans tend to connect colors to feelings, so for example, Zombie Spawn has a red lamp, Red represents danger and the feeling of uncertainty, Blue represents peace and quietness, so use it in either the human spawn or a popular cading spot that is very safe compared to others.

4. Make it balanced, meaning that make the map in a way that puts raw skill into the mixture, nowadays we have maps that are basically: guns + bunch of boardy bois = win. This is absolutely wrong, make it so that if humans don't use game knowledge to their advantage then they are doomed.

5. Make it team-based. In a way this is usually already apparent in most maps, but take for example ZM_Surrounded, the map has 3 main, on-the-ground, entrances, so zombies need to either split up to weaken the entrances if the human numbers are low or focus on one side to completely destroy the cade.

In short, look at maps like Infirmary, Insurance, Rampage (ZS version), Ancient Sand, Mall , Surrounded, and Last Mansion. These are key examples of what makes a good map.

• Like 1

I like most maps because I generally always have fun! :) Although I prefer larger maps with lots of places for me to run around. I actually think we need a couple very large maps like the ol' gm_atomic for that exact reason. (Although those maps need a somewhat high population to be fun.)

Edited by ValueSensei

These are all ultimately different points of view, which is ultimately appreciated. A diverse and opinionated group deferring to what they ultimately like in the map is neat, from those who like the spots to where they can quietly tinker away while the team are working on the mains, to those who like that a bit of exploration and suspense to a certain degree can give a map a different taste from others, or simply having more than one spot to cade.

I might as well throw my two cents into the pit, considering I made the post, I probably should've added it to the post topic.

I really like a map that experiments a bit, sometimes they can cause either the most inbalanced map or you can truly have something special. zs_natalyas_ship (If I typed that in correct) Does have decent spots to cade, but then there's the boats, in which people tend to levitate more to the boats than to seriously take time to make a cade, especially if they consider the armory to be in a poor spot.

ZS is gayyyyyy

Your invaluable addition to our discussions will surely be heard for many millenniums and generations of mappers.

Edited by Vinny Mac