Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Obj Horizon Remake - Improvement Suggestions/ideas

EngineTrap

RQf29Kr.jpg(^The new building and skybox design: Current Progress 38% Expecting to finishing the whole map by early or mid September)

As many are aware, Im currently remaking the now almost 2 years old zs_obj_event_horizon, for many reasons the two most prominent and important being that i feel the map didnt age that well in comparison to other maps and current maps i have made and to balance and expand the map beyond mostly hallways (despite the fact the map has a lot of very unique features i havent seen in any other maps yet like skycading and also being the only obj map remaining that has never been won in over a year).

So go ahead and comment what stuff you liked about the original map, what stuff you didnt like and would like to change and what things you would like to see that hasn't been done in previous maps. HOWEVER below are some obvious bullet points i already noted and im already gonna do/i already did just so you guys dont mention them ok? If you do mention them i will ignore them so dont even bother. Also take in note this is a complete remake from the ground up, So dont mention bug fixes since those wont carry over.

[spoiler='[size=5]The Obvious list of stuff i have noted and im currently applying/will apply[/size]']-No hallway simulator (Im doing my best effort to avoid hallway based defenses, im achieving this by adding lots of fights occurring in the unique apartment/office rooms of the skyscraper rather than in the middle of the hallway)

-Better optimization (I was a derp when i made the original horizon, i have gone to great lengths this time to optimize the map as much as source allows with techniques i learned while making void)

-Smarter Spawn Design (Zombies have feelings too, so just like in void im making sure going zombie in this map isnt a chore by adding lots of variety to the spawns and routes zombies can take, lots of boss choices, less cading and removing any rng that could affect zombies like random spawn shuffling like the one seen in rampage, npst and blackout. At the end of the day zombies always take the bad end of the stick gameplay wise, specially in obj but im still gonna try to make it as enjoyable as possible.)

-More running time (After a while and some critique of how a lot of defenses in obj void happen between really small timeframes and how that's a bit cliche, i realized that one of the most fun aspects of objective is the run in between objectives, and having lots of those adds to the variety and tension of the map as its this type of sections where players usually get killed in thus adding to the difficulty. So expect a lot of those in this new remake.)

-More objectives (You're gonna have to get a lot of items and do a lot of tasks as a human in order to progress, like getting a crowbar from a room far away in order to pry open an elevator door, finding a keycard among a mess of boxes,etc. Just stuff to keep gameplay more diverse because arriving to a room and having to wait a while for the door to open although fine in concept and every objective does this at least once, its a bit boring when put to the test)

-Other detail stuff (Having the map have better visuals, cubemaps for reflections, unique custom models, a map file size under 190 mb, custom soundscapes since the original had an awkward silence going on atmosphere wise, a more subtle not ear raping soundtrack since some people complained about that lol, and other stuff you guys probably dont even care about)

• Like 1

Need more kleiner filters.. By like double.. Falling elevators.. Random explosions.. air strikes?!@#.. ENTS that storm through wiping out whoever is in the path.. Turrets.....COMBINES!#?

I was definitely planning on doing that since i want to increase the difficulty in early areas more, but yeah sure consider it a thing that will happen, i love kleiner filters lol

add more memez

The tone of the map this time is gonna be more serious and more realistic than the original, But there's still a few memes left in the map some open to the eye, others hidden as easter eggs and references.

[spoiler=example]2f683e53f0c75d6a3247b4891ee476ac.png

Edited by EngineTrap

Ok now my personal suggestion about how you actually can improve this map even more:

Dynamic events: the map should have more events who make people always be carefully about where they go because they wont expect what it can be after a certain place in the map, so adding a few new events definitevely will make the map extremely more interesting imo (Traps are probably something people dont expect, but dont add too many! it can be very annoying after a while)

Balancing: Make sure to dont give too many free loots for humans (with that i dont mean dont give anything to humans but just dont make a room full of guns and put guns only in certain places of the map) and unlock decent classes for zombies based on where they are, i saw a lot of time people giving up because bad classes. (add bosses like you did on void, but not infinite and not too many in a single part)

Hallways: Please decrease a bit the amount of hallways in the map or just make them a little more shorter

Tone of the map: Avoid any kind of memes or bullshit like that, this is an objective map with serious tone so keep it the same as the old horizon

Damage multiplier: i was thinking about that, since the map can be very hard, a damage multiplier can be very usefull even for any other server who want to try this map without getting raped aswell (Damage for humans and for Zombies like nerf or buff them)

Optimization: the map was very very laggy on the actually version who HG use so i hope the map gets optimized even more than Void aswell (especially on big areas)

Additional parts on the map (Optional): add new shops with new names or even add totally new areas in the map to give more longevity for the map

also i hope there will be no changes in terms on soundtracks because i loved the current one on obj event horizon so keep the current one lol

I hope i've helped you and good luck!

• Like 1

Ok now my personal suggestion about how you actually can improve this map even more:

Dynamic events: the map should have more events who make people always be carefully about where they go because they wont expect what it can be after a certain place in the map, so adding a few new events definitevely will make the map extremely more interesting imo (Traps are probably something people dont expect, but dont add too many! it can be very annoying after a while)

Balancing: Make sure to dont give too many free loots for humans (with that i dont mean dont give anything to humans but just dont make a room full of guns and put guns only in certain places of the map) and unlock decent classes for zombies based on where they are, i saw a lot of time people giving up because bad classes. (add bosses like you did on void, but not infinite and not too many in a single part)

Hallways: Please decrease a bit the amount of hallways in the map or just make them a little more shorter

Tone of the map: Avoid any kind of memes or bullshit like that, this is an objective map with serious tone so keep it the same as the old horizon

Damage multiplier: i was thinking about that, since the map can be very hard, a damage multiplier can be very usefull even for any other server who want to try this map without getting raped aswell (Damage for humans and for Zombies like nerf or buff them)

Optimization: the map was very very laggy on the actually version who HG use so i hope the map gets optimized even more than Void aswell (especially on big areas)

Additional parts on the map (Optional): add new shops with new names or even add totally new areas in the map to give more longevity for the map

also i hope there will be no changes in terms on soundtracks because i loved the current one on obj event horizon so keep the current one lol

I hope i've helped you and good luck!

PYOeRsv.png

How hard would it be for "random events" ? ? Could NPC combines be used?

Not a huge fan of RNG but it depends on what you mean by random events, explain further pls.

Also on npcs note yes and no. Only some npcs seem to work somewhat properly on zs, most of them neutral like dropships, helicopters, rollermines, etc.

I probably could get citizens and combine to work on a neutral level (not attacking the player or anything) in zs but i wouldn't put that to the test in this particular map considering how long it takes to script a simple sequence with npcs.

Maybe a RNG 1-10 with random disasters / weather conditions etc..

Maybe could have up to three or so random events occur throughout various areas of the map

..Maybe a meteor hits and sets all the humans on fire.. maybe the temp drops and the ground freezes..

Or a dropship comes in and drops a load of combine.. just basic entity combines with no scripting

Edited by Wonderland

Good effort!I don't think we should trouble her to create lots of random events though. Let him create the whole map first with only a 1 or 2 random events, then we can add on to it along the way through playing the map and seeing in which parts humans tend to fail/win. Let's actually focus on the main stage which is the map itself and not the random events.

• 5 weeks later...

Remove crane part. It lags too much (and I have i7 CPU and 1070 TI) and for some reason the end of wooden plank part I keep getting pushed to the left side. It should be fixed.

Also remove the compactor part. It gets shitcaded often and result in massive population death.

you realize crane part isnt a matter of fact that it lags you. lags the server because of how many entities it has to move. the crane part and compactor part is fine, it also is being fixed in this version. no need to remove

Remove crane part. It lags too much (and I have i7 CPU and 1070 TI) and for some reason the end of wooden plank part I keep getting pushed to the left side. It should be fixed.

I made 100% sure the crane part gets smooth 100 fps in this new version. in the old one you get bad fps because the entire map renders that at specific point, an issue which i fixed here with ease. If you're refering to the server part however im afraid this is just the server being the potato it is and there's 0 i can do about it.

For the getting pushed thing it was due to an anti advance clip that is sorta badly placed and takes a bit too long to dissapear causing people who arrive first to slam into an invisible wall and fall. this anti advance clip is gone way sooner in the new version so it shouldnt be an issue.

Also remove the compactor part. It gets shitcaded often and result in massive population death.

having bad caders is gonna kill you anyways later on so this is more of a thing of the team being bad than the map's fault. Besides most of the times we make it out ok of the compactor so i dont see the issue really. Also if you're refering to the "nailing a thing below the vent so everyone falls and dies" thing its fixed in this new version. you dont arrive to that area like that anymore so it shouldnt even be an issue in the remake.

Edited by EngineTrap