Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Elemental Nails | ZS Suggestion

Snowyamur

Elemental Nails  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nailing props in Zombie Survival is very simple and easy to understand. A player takes a prop, they have their Carpenter's Hammer equipped, they right-click on the prop, and it's nailed where the player wanted it. While this is easy, actually barricading and making a cade isn't, being considered a skill in Zombie Survival that can be mastered in one's own way. Because cading is considered a skill, I thought why not make it more interesting for our few caders on ZS.

To make barricading more unique and fun, I introduce Elemental Nails. These are types of nails that people with the Carpenter's Hammer can use for cading. Nailing a prop with an elemental nail gives it a special attribute that works in its own way against the zombies. They are designed to make the art of cading unique and more strategic as it pertains to where the cade is being built, and what current wave it is.

Here's how they work:

• only the prop nailed with an elemental nail is granted the bonus effect; other props remained unaffected
  • effects of elemental nails are stackable; every extra elemental nail boosts its effect on a prop by its base stat:
    • this means that the base bonus effect provided by one elemental nail is weak
    • this also means that the bonus effect of an elemental nail is maximized on a 4-nailed prop
      • this maximum is increased to a 5-nailed prop with the Prodigy trait
  • elemental nails can't be used to nail one prop to another
    • this means you can't give your skycades elemental effects
  • elemental nail effects last forever so long as they are nailed to a prop; once removed, the effect is removed
  • only one type of elemental nail can be applied to a single prop; a player can't combine multiple elemental nails on a single prop
    • this also means elemental nail combinations don't exist
  • elemental nails can't be added onto another player's nailed prop
    • this is true only if the player is alive and didn't apply the option to prevent others from adding nails to their cade
    • this is false if the player is either dead or offline
  • the effects of multiple elemental nails can be applied at the same time
    • this would be the case of a player with an ongoing effect strikes another prop and receives a different effect

Aside from the particular mechanics above, elemental nails function as normal nails. They can be repaired, and they can be removed. As for how players get elemental nails, I was thinking that they be available from the Worth Menu, with more being purchasable from the Arsenal Crate. I have yet to decide on the pricing for elemental nails.

Here's the list of elemental nail types:

Note: this isn't a huge list; this is just a concept, so I try to keep it short and simple.

Note 2: all effects can be refreshed.

Note 3: these effects will only proc if a zombie hits a barricade with an elemental nail.

Fire Nail - adds 15% chance for a zombie to be set aflame when striking an elementally-affected prop, dealing x damage/ second over t seconds; reduces chance for a prop to be set aflame from any source by 20%.

Frost Nail - adds 10% chance for a zombie to be partially-frozen, reducing movement speed by m and attack speed by s for t seconds.

Tar Nail - adds 5% chance for a zombie to be sprayed in tar, reducing attack damage by % for t seconds.

Electric Nail - adds 10% chance for a zombie to be stunned in-place, unable to move for t seconds, but can still attack.

Corrosive Nail - adds 5% chance for a zombie to be coated in corrosive acid, taking % increased damage from all sources of damage.

Mirror Nail - reflects 2% damage inflicted back on the zombie.

Plated Nail - reduces damage inflicted on barricades by 10%.

Flak Nail - reduces explosive damage against barricades, from any explosive source, by 15%

Let me know what you guys think of this.

Edited by Snowyamur

Great, another way for me to waste more points when cading. I was wondering whether or not the nails would make it so that the props would overall have a lower maximum hp due to their special properties. Also, would we be able to hold different types of nails at the same time and are we able to add reg. nails to props that have elemental nails already in them? Sorry if confusing.

• Confused 1

Great, another way for me to waste more points when cading. I was wondering whether or not the nails would make it so that the props would overall have a lower maximum hp due to their special properties. Also, would we be able to hold different types of nails at the same time and are we able to add reg. nails to props that have elemental nails already in them? Sorry if confusing.

@Oskey

Can't tell if this is sarcasm... Trying to make cading more interesting, you know...

Regardless, even though these nails have their special properties, they would still provide the same health boost as if more than one nail was added to a prop, and they would function the exact same way as normal nails do in terms of having a 4-nail limit on props.

Yes, you can hold different types of elemental nails in your inventory all at once. To answer a question someone asked me in-game, you'll have this selection wheel that allows you to choose which elemental nails you want to use for cading, and when selected, any prop you nail will be nailed with an elemental nail.

Yes, you can add regular nails to props that have elemental nails in them, and vice versa.

I was expecting Fire nail to be "Takes reduced damage from Immolators" or "Can not be set on fire"

Weaving Nail and Vampiric nail seem over powered.  To take a hit from a Nightmare and completely reverse, potentially multiple times, could almost multiple how long a prop could survive, especially door cades

Sure I would like to see elemental nails and I would be fine with all of these being added assuming the two nails above are not added.

You could also have something like a "blast resistant" nail that would specifically take reduced damage from Bursters, Bonemeshs, Zombine nades, Bloated zombies.  Plated nail may cover to much so if it was specific to melee attacks only then bam.

Another potentially overpowered nail idea is a nail that allows humans to phase through the prop faster

• Thanks 1

I was expecting Fire nail to be "Takes reduced damage from Immolators" or "Can not be set on fire"

Weaving Nail and Vampiric nail seem over powered.  To take a hit from a Nightmare and completely reverse, potentially multiple times, could almost multiple how long a prop could survive, especially door cades

Sure I would like to see elemental nails and I would be fine with all of these being added assuming the two nails above are not added.

You could also have something like a "blast resistant" nail that would specifically take reduced damage from Bursters, Bonemeshs, Zombine nades, Bloated zombies.  Plated nail may cover to much so if it was specific to melee attacks only then bam.

That's a good point that I didn't think about for the Fire Nail that you brought up @Eton145. I'm actually surprised that this wasn't the first piece of functionality for this type of elemental nail, and because of that, I will adjust the suggestions above accordingly.

Based on this feedback, I will also be removing the Weaving Nail and Vampiric Nail. It seemed like those ideas were cool, but you could be right about it being overpowered.

As for the "blast resistant" nail, I would call it the "Flak Nail," which reduces the amount of general explosion damage barricades receive from any explosive source.

Thanks for the feedback; this is good stuff.

If Many new features in ZS, they will confusion at zs. :/ 

I know adding stuff like this might make ZS more confusing @GT4tube, but this is a risk for anything in which something new being made. No matter the extent to which a suggestion could make a videogame more confusing or incomprehensible, it is nonetheless thrown out there for people to read and consider, and that's what I want to get out of these suggestions.

I'm well aware that some of these suggestions may not be implemented into the game, but it's good to consider them because who knows? In the future, maybe this will be a possibility, maybe it won't. At the end of the day, it exists as a concept now, and that's my goal with basic concept suggestions. 

Update

- Added Flak Nail from @Eton145's suggestion.

- Added % chance for barricades with Fire Nails to not be set aflame from any source, including Immolator swipes.

- Removed Weaving Nail and Vampiric Nail; these seemed too OP.

- Added in numeric values for all nails; now they have base values for people to consider when thinking about this suggestion.