Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Boost your FPS like HackerMan69

Uni

Have you ever wanted some free V-Bucks? Have you been lagging in GMOD as your grandmother does in Minecraft/Roblox? Well worry no more, here is Uni's guide to making your GMOD run like minesweeper.

• Please know that the advanced option in gmod by the name of "Enable Muti-core Rendering" does not do anything to help you secure your v-bucks, now what you do need if a .cfg file that auto executes every time you start up your game.
  • I know you are all lazy as a potato grown in my backyard, so you won't have to do much "coding".

1. First, go to your gmod file directory, "SteamLibrary>SteamApps>Common>GarrysMod>garrysmod>cfg", now you want to move the fpsboost.cfg file into your cfg folder.
  2. And surprisingly, this is the last step that you will need to do before you get your gmod running like my water cup, go into your autoexec.cfg file in your cfg folder, and then type "exec fpsboost.cfg" This will allow for the file to recognize the file and activate it once the gmod console loads up!
  3. And if you have a really crappity crap computer, here is something else that you can do besides setting up the cfg files like a champ. Put this code into your gmod launch options as follow. " +mat_dxlevel 90 +mat_trilinear 0 +mat_antialias 2 -windowed -noborder -w 1920 -h 1080 -novid"
  4. Change the mat_dxlevel to 80 or even to 70 depending on how trash your computer is, and as for the resolution setting, just adjust it as you need it to.
  5. And at last, you can go into your task manager to increase the priority for gmod, just open up Task Manager, select the Details tab, find hl2.exe, right-click the program, and then set the priority of hl2.exe to either Real Time or High, now I would personally suggest putting it on High, because Real Time means that your computer will put all its cores/processor into that one program, which could potentially slow everything else down, which isnt what you want.
  6. And that completes my guide on how to boost your fps like a real champ, if it doesn't work for you, then most of the lag is probably caused by the number of entities generated on the server you are on, so there's nothing you can do about that, but uhm, yea free vbucks.

Possible Confusions:

1. If you could have find the option to change the priority of gmod on your system, follow this guide right here: https://www.wikihow.com/Change-Process-Priorities-in-Windows-Task-Manager

Edited by Univerous
  • Thanks 1

Even as someone who is experienced with Source related games and modifications to increase the overall graphics of a game, this was rather confusing. Could you possibly specify when you listed, "... just open up Task Manager, select the Details tab,  find hl2.exe, right-click the program, and then set the priority of hl2.exe to either Real Time or High..." Because I tried that on different versions of Windows only to find nothing. Adding detail or even screenshots would greatly help. Now I normally get 500fps+ in game on my PC when made unlimited, but my laptop can't get above 30fps in any game or server even with an Nvidia GFX 1050 in it. I've personally done everything to it and I've come to the conclusion that it just has a manufacturing defect, because with an Intel i5, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM, and an excellent network, lag doesn't make sense.

Edited by Admiral MacK
  • Thanks 1

Mack, your problem is most likely caused either by your laptop's misuse of GPU and CPU, or just gmod in general, and unfortunately I do not have other methods of making GMOD use more of them since it is a source engine game released way back. Sorry I cannot help further : (

Edited by Univerous

It's all good. I normally use my laptop for work related things only but, eh just something that has to be dealt with on a laptop. Thank you thought for creating this thread, some of the things you mentioned above actually improved usage on my desktop. Worked for Team Fortress 2 as well thankfully.

Edited by Admiral MacK

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This may be too late to post, but there's no way to actually utilize resources a lot of resources to Gmod because of its source engine. The game is poorly optimized for multi-threaded uses so a CPU such as Ryzen 7 2700X will not perform better than an i9-9900K (as expected). Gmod isn't as resource heavy as it seems, but the low fps doesn't always mean your PC is the bottleneck.fps.thumb.PNG.2be62cfface1d8656156da1f825bc68e.PNG

I have a Ryzen 7 2700X paired with a GTX 1050 Ti. This is a high-end CPU (8 core, 16 thread) paired with a budget-friendly GPU GTX 1050 Ti. Even with multi-core option enabled, my framerate is somewhat around 60-70ish fps and CPU utilization is quite low. In fact, it only seems Garry's Mod is only taking advantage of 8 threads instead of 16 threads. In addition, GPU usage is low because the CPU is not utilizing all of its resources to the game. And like you stated: 

And at last, you can go into your task manager to increase the priority for gmod, just open up Task Manager, select the Details tab, find hl2.exe, right-click the program, and then set the priority of hl2.exe to either Real Time or High

Since I have a good CPU, setting it to Real Time was no problem. However, this only improves FPS by quite a few (around 1-8). I did notice that CPU usage increased quite a bit, but it was only on the 8 threads that were utilized in GMod.

The only way to truly increase your FPS is by buying a CPU that has extremely good single-core performance such as an i9-9900K or the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series. However, many of you viewing this topic just want to boost FPS for free, so what you can do is do what the guide tells you. If you have a really low-end GPU (4600 Intel HD Graphics or GT 710

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...