Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Upgradable Trait Cards

Uni

The cards system is exclusive to the HG community, it gives the players an option to upgrade their weapons slightly using points gained in the game, as well as their total Health Points & Maximum Sprinting Speed. This is great and all, but it would be pretty neat to add in stuff that increases your weapon accuracy, reload speed, fire rate, and such. Although it would have to be really balanced and tested so that the cards are at their correct rarity and that they give a decent but not overpowered boost to the humans. Just thought it would spice things up a bit and maybe even create new builds based on the new cards. (Oh also how about a legendary bandolier card that increases the amount of ammo you get by for example 5-15% each level.)

I'm not sure what impact having this would make on what we currently have when it comes to permanent upgrades. We have cards for specific weapons that increase the stats for those specific weapons.The stats that improve as a gun card levels up could include:

• Damage
  • Accuracy
  • Reload speed
  • Clip size
  • Penetration

and these stats vary from gun to gun. A firearm like the Ricochet Magnum can get an extra clip size when reaching Level 5, but an assault shotgun like the Ender Automatic Shotgun wouldn't at the same level. Making it so each weapon has its own independent level, card, and upgraded stats is balanced such that a player doesn't become too strong using any firearm, which would be the case if we made the stats listed above universal upgrades. On top of that, establishing specific upgrade improvements for each gun enables choice and freedom to decide what the player wants to focus; it's more fun this way, and for the case of Zombie Survival, it forces point-whores to spend more to get more.

Most importantly, keeping upgrades specific and separate across different weapons is logically-plausible. A universal upgrade that increases a gun's accuracy by 5% would be a boon for a weapon like the Grim Reaper Machine Gun, whose spray is ridiculous, but would be completely useless for a weapon like the Gluon, whose accuracy is pinpoint. By making weapon upgrades specific for every weapon, although it takes more work, it's the best approach towards making weapon improvement sensible and fair across the board.

This kind of suggestion would just be more work on our developer for little impact and gain, so I don't think this is a route we would want to take, especially since so far, our card system is functional and fairly-balanced about 90% of the time.

increases your weapon accuracy, reload speed, fire rate, and such.

Fire rate is an attribute that we would want to avoid increasing for balancing reasons. The faster a gun fires, the higher the DPS if all the bullets hit a single target.

Zombies need to close in on a human to attack, and one of the main reasons why people, who foolishly run outside to shoot zombies with little practice, die from getting caught is because they can't dish out enough DPS to kill a 300 health target, dealing only 20-30 damage on average per shot. Fire rate is a contributing factor to this issue, but it's fair for the zombies to deal with because that way, they are able to run up and kill humans that decide to run around.

If we increase fire rate, humans could kill zombies before they even reach them. Even if most of the shots fired are missed, humans could easily reload their gun and fire fast enough to kill what's left of a zombie. This is one of the benefits of having multiple people firing at once because essentially, the more people shooting results in higher DPS not because there's more damage output, but because there is a higher fire rate from more bullets being shot in a short interval. This concept is what makes heavily-populated barricades difficult to breach.

The point I'm trying to make of all this is that fire rate is a stat we stay away from for the reasons above.

(Oh also how about a legendary bandolier card that increases the amount of ammo you get by for example 5-15% each level.)

No offense, but this sounds like a point-whore idea, especially for point-whores who profit by shooting. Bandolier is fine and balanced as it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Snowyamur I think you are thinking way ahead here,  we can’t assume the cards will be automatically OP for the humans team when they don’t even exist yet, now although I do agree with the points you made, after balancing and testing out the cards, it would be fair and a great addition to the game because who doesn’t like more stuff to waste their points on. You should be rewarded for spending a big portion of your points to upgrade something that only boosts your stats by a tiny bit, but not too op like you said.

Very bad idea. Humans are fine the way the are right now. Pls dont make them more op, we already have cards for guns is that really not enough??? Along with the fact that it would need a lot of balancing to work in the first place

• Like 1

we can’t assume the cards will be automatically OP for the humans team when they don’t even exist yet,

On the contrary, we can already assume how overpowered cards like these can be because we currently have traits that boost the attributes you mentioned.

For instance, although fire rate increase cards don't exist, a lot of us who've been playing ZS for a long time know that fire rate is one of the strongest contributing factors for huge DPS and survival success because the more bullets a player can shoot, the more damage that's inflicted in a short time interval. This is a huge weakness for being a zombie boss because it means you die faster, and given that you're slowed when under continuous damage from waves of bullets, giving increased fire rate to humans would only piss off the zombies who are bosses because they'll be constantly slowed and killed faster than considered fair for both teams.

That's not to say Berserker is bad, since with that trait, while taking damage increases fire rate universally, the downside is others not being able to heal you, which is a huge disadvantage because that means if a player wants to be healed, they're going to have to buy a medkit and heal themselves, or be extremely careful about their own health. This kind of fire rate improvement mechanic is balanced because it's sacrificing survival chance for extra DPS, and not all weapons can benefit from the DPS boost, which makes this trait even more balanced since players have to choose their weapons carefully to maximize the benefit of this perk.

Having the legendary Bandolier upgrade card being an option is also overpowered, and even though it doesn't exist in the current build of ZS, the trait itself exists and continues to be widely used today. If players could get more than 25% ammo from Arsenal Crates by upgrading its trait through cards, than that's broken in the sense that profiting becomes so much easier. We would basically be making profit gain from shooting the easiest way to profit, and there's no fun or challenge in that.

because who doesn’t like more stuff to waste their points on.

Not me. I don't like wasting points to purchase upgrades for gear and weapons I don't use, and that's the same for a lot of players on ZS. Even among our regulars, this concept holds true.

You should be rewarded for spending a big portion of your points to upgrade something that only boosts your stats by a tiny bit, but not too op like you said.

Yes, but we shouldn't be rewarded with becoming overpowered players by boosting stats that are huge game changers; again, I bring up fire rate as an example. Even boosting the fire rate by a small amount makes a huge difference in how much damage can be dished out, and once again, given that zombies have to run to a cade to attack, dying many times in the process, we don't need to make the process more of a living hell for them.

@SnowyamurLets say a gun fires 11 bullets per 5 seconds and deals 20 damage with each bullet, but if someone upgrades their firerate card to make that gun fire 11.5 bullets per 5 seconds, the total amount of damage would only change from 220 to 230, and considering the fact that is would most likely be a legendary card, I dont see how that is overpowered. Im sorry if im taking this the wrong way, but it would seem that you disagree with everything that I say, I wanna buff zombos, nah, I wanna buff humans, nah, so like what do we do then............we don't develop by just denying every suggestion we see, whats so bad in just testing it out for the dev? what we are saying now are just predictions of what would happen once we add in the said things. You cant just automatically assume something would be overpowered because you dont like the idea of it at first sight. sorry if I sound harsh tho, not trying to be rude.