Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

GMOD Hardware Optimization - Does 64-bit make a difference?

specify_

Garry's Mod is one of Valve's popular games in Steam, and is mostly known for its poor optimization for today's systems which mostly compromise of 8 threads or more. By default, Garry's Mod runs on 32-bit, but there is a 64-bit version of Garry's Mod you probably haven't heard of. Simply put, it's a much more optimized version of Garry's Mod, and it's suppose to utilize more computer resources to the game. But does it make a difference?

Here, I have a benchmark that compares the difference in framerate (32-bit vs 64-bit) in gm_construct. For all of these tests, I will be using a Ryzen 7 2700X with an overclocked GTX 1050 Ti. Garry's Mod is not really GPU-bound, so atrong graphics card like an RTX 2060 is unnecessary. In addition, many of the players in the Garry's Mod community have low-end systems. The Ryzen 7 2700X has a similar IPC performance of an i5-9400F, so these benchmarks should represent a lot of budget PCs out there. In these benchmarks, I will be using vocabulary not many people will know such as 1% Lows and 0.1% Lows. If you want to learn about them, here is a video that explains what 1% & 0.1% Lows are. Credits to Bitwit for making the video.

887616966_gm_construct(default).PNG.a693c067cf69a4d865d072fe2032f900.PNG 

Here, we see around a 26.4% performance increase in average FPS with 64-bit Garry's Mod. In addition, the 1% and 0.1% lows are much more higher in 64-bit than in 32-bit. This was done on gm_construct at high graphical settings. However, this is not the only benchmark so far.

653252912_gm_constructthreadstest.PNG.43ef5d1ff99836e821fc3113231d6ec0.PNGOut of curiosity, I decided to compare the famous -threads with 64-bit to see if there were any vast improvements in terms of performance. Average framerate didn't happen to change at all; only at around 4.24% (2-10 frames difference). Surprisingly, the 0.1% lows were consistent, but the -threads 8 had the worst 1% low out of all the three with around 10-20 fps difference.

Multicore was enabled with the console command gmod_mcore_test 1cl_threaded_bone_setup 2, and mat_queue_mode -1. It still seems Garry's Mod is not that resource hungry when it comes to cores. If you have a quad-core (8 threads) or duo-core (4 threads) processor, you won't have to invest more on a better CPU if you can't get good framerate. If you can't run Garry's Mod on high graphical settings, you will need to get a better GPU instead such as a GTX 750 Ti if you're only going to play Garry's Mod and other Valve games. In addition, a better GPU will guarantee you better framerate in triple A-titled games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

zs_hamlet_town_v1a.PNG.927300d9e9baeb3438af92f32f3df501.PNGSince this is a 64-bit & 32-bit comparison test on zombie survival, I went on the server to compare the framerate. Apparently, 64-bit is somewhat buggy and unstable which left itself with much more worst 0.1% and 1% lows than the 32-bit version. However, both the 64-bit and 32-bit are playing above 60 fps which is fine for most users. However, 144hz users like me would prefer the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version.

zs_intercity_mall_v6.PNG.44e64106c86c5fd75bb7aff9a3b0914e.PNGHere again, the 64-bit version gains a huge performance impact in framerate (40-50 FPS difference; 63.15% difference). The 1% low is better than the 32-bit which most users won't mind, but the 0.1% low is slightly worst.

zs_alexg_motel_v3.PNG.f3e81c9a5b76458604b4e2cb9db91a11.PNGThis is another map in zombie survival, and it's pretty old and classic. In here, we see there's very little difference in average framerate, but 1% lows are much more better in the 64-bit.

In short, 64-bit build is unstable, but has greater fps than the 32-bit build.

How to get 64-bit Garry's Mod

It's pretty self explanatory:

1. Open Steam and go to Garry's Mod in the Steam Library547800364_steamlibrary.PNG.a17539f61918a55d99d0ac769c7e03db.PNG

2. Right click Garry's Mod and go to Properties

3. Go to Betas and select x86-64 - Testing 64-bit builds
how.PNG.41b0bd6e535871690a1f38c81d415666.PNG

4. Done! Enjoy 64-bit!

• Like 4

@specify_ Thanks for the explanation, it is more than good but then I have a question. You have tested this on your side (client-side), let us say you have chosen the 64-bit option for the game  then joined the server will it make the same impact?

Edited by Old Bill

1 hour ago, Old Bill said:

@specify_ Thanks for the explanation, it is more than good but then I have a question. You have tested this on your side (client-side), let us say you have chosen the 64-bit option for the game  then joined the server will it make the same impact?

It should make an impact if you join the server. For the zs maps, I joined the HG server to see any performance impacts. The zs maps alexg_motel, intercity_mall, and hamlet town were all on the server with around 60-85 players. gm_construct, however, was tested on singleplayer.

Very useful info, gave me a noticeable performance increase. Silly note: If you opt into the beta, you may not be able to launch gmod by right-clicking the Steam icon from your taskbar. You may now have to launch it from your library directly.

• 1 month later...