Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Does the Refresh Rate of your Monitor Matter?

scottcjohn

I like most would like to place more blame on my low 60 Hz monitor hampering my CSS performance. At least Nvidia helps. And only encourages me more to make a monitor upgrade sooner. Anyone else feel a high refresh rate monitor helped them after their own upgrade?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/what-is-fps-and-how-it-helps-you-win-games/

I personally use 60Hz on my 3 main monitors and I've never had an issue. I've used 90Hz with my Oculus Rift S VR headset, and the change is almost unnoticeable. As for 144Hz monitors and above, I have heard from some fellow gamers that it does actually improve the quality of the game(s) as long as your rig is built for what you want it to handle.

In conclusion, as much as I would like to have a triple monitor, 144hz setup, it's much more of a way of showing off than actually improving the overall ability to play or enjoy the game.

I upgraded from 60 to 144 and the change was pretty insane. It won't turn you into an MLG pro, but if you feel like you've reached a plateau, you will see a pretty large improvement. 

I plan to get a 240 hz monitor when I have the extra change. But most people have a 144 right now and not a 240 hz monitor so it's not something to worry about right now.

It's definitely not just a way to "show off." There's a huge difference and if you're staying on 60hz, you're limiting yourself.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...