Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Community Streets: Creating a map together

How should the map be constructed?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is this?

Last night in the Discord's content creation channel, Aquadango came up with the idea of "zs_community_streets," a collaborative map made by EVERYONE, in which every mapper here contributes a piece of the map and then is combined into one. I liked the idea so much that I decided I will be the one to compile all the pieces together into a single map. 

Who is this?

Everyone is allowed to submit pieces, whether you are a beginner who just learned to make a hollowed-out box or someone who has been designing masterpieces for years already. The more submissions, the better! It does not take long to learn the basics of Hammer. If you don't know anything about basic map design, you should watch the tutorials by "Tophattwaffle" on YouTube. Keep in mind, your submission does not have to be a wonderful work of art to get in. So long as the submission fits, it will be accepted.

How is this? (a few guidelines)

I trust that everyone will be able to know their limits when submitting pieces. Try to avoid intentionally making overpowered spots (don't create a secret weapon bunker full of T6 weapons of course), and don't make anything incredibly huge. Of course, anyone who submits a piece will be credited in the final project.

You are free to create as many custom models, textures, or sounds as you want for your map parts. If you choose to add custom content like this, please put the content into a folder called "comstr" to make adding everything smoother. For those unfamiliar, within the Garry's Mod "garrysmod" directory in your Steam, there are folders for resources, such as the ones "models," "textures," and "sound" for the resources I mentioned. Within these folders, make a new folder called "comstr" to store your custom content. Once you are done with your own part of the map, send me the VMF and your comstr folders through Discord, preferably uploaded as a .zip or .rar to any file hosting site. Once I have all the pieces, I will combine them into a single map.

As for content from Valve games, only use content from Half-Life 2 (and the episodes), Counter-Strike: Source, and the content included with a fresh install of Garry's Mod. Practically everyone has these games already, so feel free to use them!

When is this?

Depending on how many people express interest in this project, I might change the date before I stop taking submissions. But, as of now, I will be accepting submissions until the 22nd of this month. I dunno when it will be done after that point, but it will be finished at some point before the sun implodes.

If you are interested in contributing, RSVP below! Remember, you don't need to be a master of map creation. Everyone's participation is welcome and wanted!

Edited by Freezepond
Adding poll

As I was looking at a couple tests a few people made, I thought of a different way of combining all the submissions.

THE KOWLOON WALLED CITY!

In that former city, there was no regard for sensible construction. Apartment buildings, shacks, and other improvised buildings were stacked on each other. Then I thought "What if I assembled a map like this?" Rooms can be tied together without reason.

With this idea in mind, I will probably put the buildings together pretty closely. If you want to test your luck with submitting a few separate rooms, I can string them together in some ungodly but entertaining complex. But, it's up to you what you want to build. If you explain what you have in mind for the part you submit, I will try my best to implement it how you imagine.

• 3 weeks later...