Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

144hz or 60hz

Btr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

240Hz. I just recently switched to 240Hz from 144Hz, and side by side, 144Hz is very noticeably more sluggish compared to 240Hz. A lot of people probably wouldn't notice the difference right away, and some maybe not ever able to notice it, however, I happen to see the smallest changes in visual responsiveness and input and this one is bigger than I thought. However, for most people 144Hz is plenty good enough, especially vs 60Hz. I've been very surprised lately, through conversation, to find out certain relatively good performing people who frequent the CS:S DM servers are still using a 60Hz refresh rate.

14 minutes ago, spankzzzzz said:

I've been very surprised lately, through conversation, to find out certain relatively good performing people who frequent the CS:S DM servers are still using a 60Hz refresh rate.

Most people who play CS:S DM typically seem to be an older crowd who don't play games where they feel anything higher is necessary. But personally, 144hz has been a great improvement since I upgraded a few years ago. I recommend at least upgrading to at least 144hz if you're playing any games that support it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucas15 said:

Most people who play CS:S DM typically seem to be an older crowd who don't play games where they feel anything higher is necessary. But personally, 144hz has been a great improvement since I upgraded a few years ago. I recommend at least upgrading to at least 144hz if you're playing any games that support it.

That is definitely the case, and actually I know 2 of guys just bought 165Hz and 144Hz monitors, respectively and they are blown away. It's always cool seeing/hearing people upgrading and their perspectives changing

13 minutes ago, Fortis said:

Like Icon said earlier, think about it like this, your hz must = fps or you won't notice any difference, if you're fps is 144 then a 144hz is right for you, if you play a game that gets you less than 60 fps then getting a 144hz monitor won't show any difference. I recommend checking your fps and determining what games you play. 240hz will only benefit you if you are getting above 144fps (or whatever your current monitors refresh rate is)

I tested this out in CS:GO, which I play at native resolution (1080p) and lowest graphic settings on both. I consistently average 400-600fps depending on a lot of things, sometimes dipping down to ~300fps in very populated servers, but generally 400-600fps, sometimes 700+fps on random parts of certain maps. Also upon further research into both monitors, my new one has less than half the pixel switch response times, which does matter but I do notice a sluggish feel even when on my desktop dragging windows around and moving the cursor around, which I can tell it's purely the refresh rate difference doing that, not anything else.

• 3 months later...