Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Thoughts on a Pub server?

DAPPERxDUCK

Pub Server  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know a lot of people previously wanted to play scrims again, but it seems the community died down after that topic was initially posted. Currently, we have our Crackhouse server, Iceworld server, and the GunGame server. The first two seem pretty consistently populated depending on the time of day, but the GunGame I have yet to see populated more than 1 person at a time. 

Has anyone considered the possibility of a Pub server? Just one with a bunch of random maps and with normal CSS gameplay? I know I for one don't always like playing on deathmatch and I have seen plenty of servers with regular players on it playing and staying populated. This wouldn't be one for competitive gameplay per se, but it would give players the regular CS experience without the pressures of competitive CS. 

Game setup could even include that you start with $16000 to avoid the headache of the pistol round onward that usually seems to discourage people from playing as well as takes out the economy aspect of it. Maps could be a mix of standard and community made custom maps that would be voted on near game end (usually after 15-20 rounds). The servers I've played on and thoroughly enjoyed have even included open voice chat so that everyone can speak and enjoy the community aspect of it. 

I think this could help boost our CSS community as well as build our recurring player base as a whole. Let me know what you guys think and by all means, if I sound crazy, please let me know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KikkoMan said:

I would have to agree on this. Having a casual server with a map cycle that rotates should be good. I've seen servers like this do very well.

If you look at some of the oldest servers around (Old Geezers and Old Farts Community for instance) they have thrived and have PACKED servers every single night of the week with regular players. I know they've had the playerbase for a long while, but we could help bolster our numbers and even pull people in that are looking for a server when places like that aren't populated or are in fact full. CSS as a whole has died down, but it won't fade away if we don't allow it. Look at 1.6 and even Condition Zero...there are STILL people playing because they enjoy it. I think we owe it to our community and CSS as a whole to give players a place to call "home".

So here's my honest take about this. I don't think it's worth it. We had a pub server (classic rotation) for the longest time and it was never populated. People are afraid to admit it but CS:S is dying and there's nothing we can do that would set our pub server apart from others.