Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Responding to Toxic Players

Kinta

After having recently returned, I am disappointed to see the state of the community I loved so much.  No longer are the days when random people would appear in teamspeak and become part of a community that spoke to each other and discovered new games together.  People started to become a part of a type of family, that jumped in on that multiplayer game when you needed a buddy or challenged each other in competition.  So many conflicts and an abundance of drama but unless it was severe, I'd probably see you tomorrow in a scrim, and I'd try my best to take your head off.  This brings me to an important point to those that are left in our servers.

When dealing in administrative privileges, I think we(HG) need to be careful with our use of power to moderate the rules within our servers.  We are a representative of ourselves as a gaming community and the type of behavior we display will ultimately dictate attraction to our servers, the survival of our servers, and having new people to join and play with.  I think it is important to keep in mind a few things when dealing with that one player that pushes the boundaries a little too far.

-Your response should be clear and decisive, not emotionally charged.

-Depending on the harshness of the situation at hand, it is important to give fair warning.

-You should be fair and impartial.  Exceptions to rules only breed disdain and contempt.

-Do not break the rules, as you are making yourself the exception.

-Make the rule in question being broken known, and the consequence of that action clear.

-Do not argue with the individual.  If anything, limit your interaction with them if you do not like them.

I understand we are gaming, but we are also a community.  How we behave is the type of community we make, and the more we attract people to our servers, the more varying opinions we will have.  That is why I hope that you read this, Admin.  Not because I don't think you know any better or that my opinion is better than yours.  We all need to be reminded at times and we all have our lives and emotions to deal with.  We are gaming, so let's have fun.

Edited by Kinta
  • Confused 1