Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Running Server

Thacoolmon

So me and a couple of friends plan on starting a Minecraft server because of the fact that we would like to custom make our own server. I was wondering what some good specs for a devoted server PC would be, I'm also thinking of using Linux as OS because I've been told its best for server devoted.

I plan on having a single Minecraft server, eventually I would like the capacity to have up to 5000 people. Any suggestions?

Judging by the state of this question i would highly recommend not trying to setup your own server for minecraft. Running a server is not easy to do. Well i take that back it is but to do it properly it is not. It also requires a lot of time invested and not to mention the costs. You will first need to verify that you have the connection to handle something like this just as Lemon has stated. If you are dead set on building a server then pm me. I can help you with 99% of it.

5000 people is not going to happen on a home internet connect, even if you did have enough bandwidth, there is more than likely something in your service providers Terms Of Service that would be violated. But something much smaller is do-able. Minecraft is more dependent on RAM than anything else. Don't need a real fast processor or an insane about of bandwidth to run 30+ slot server. Here's a good wiki page that should point you in the right direction.

http://minecraft.gam...ments/Dedicated

Note: On that page, internet speeds are labeled in Megabits(Mbit/s) NOT Megabytes(MB/s)

OS is preference really. Linux or Windows with both work fine, just depends on your hardware. Windows will you much more resources (I.E. Ram) than Linux will.