Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Destiny

jajolt

Ouch the reviews are not looking favorable so far.

Yeah, I'll have my hands on it in an hour for my personal judgement, however I think people seemed to be expecting halo for ps4 and single player but they miss the point of the game. No idea, I could be optimistic Cuz it's my $60, we will see in a bit.

EDIT: still a majority positive on metacritic

Edited by jajolt

Alright, I have spent probably a good 4-5 hours playing destiny, leveled up to level six, played the tutorial and then played with adam, so, here we go.

Let me start off by saying that I have been skeptical about this game since I first saw it. I was in a gamestop back in April getting a game for my vita when I saw it, I looked at the back of the box and I thought it looked like a shit game. However, by E3 there was enough hype for me to at least like the concept of it. I also was not able to participate in the alpha or beta due to my housing situation (which is SUPPOSED to resolve in a few days :P). Finally, I am not the best at FPS games to begin with. It's not usually my aim, but my positioning is shit. But, when you combine my shitty positioning and terrible aim with a controller, I suck ass cheeks. Regardless, hearing so many good things about it, wanting a new console game, and watching videos made me decide to break my rule of "Third Person Shooters on console, FPS on PC" and try it out. So, I went to preorder. Then I played borderlands on my PC with a controller just to practice.

---------------------------------SKIP TO HERE FOR GAMEPLAY--------------------------------

When I first launched the game, I had no other thing to notice besides how visually enticing the game is. It is full 1080p, but as I later found out when I began gameplay, is at the cost of running at 30fps.

The game starts with a video that pretty much explains the story like most games, but the thing that set it apart was the fact that it looked AMAZING. Here is a picture of one of the parts of the beginning video:

1n9pIgH.jpg

Graphics aside, I designed my character (there's a decent amount of options, but not a lot), and moved on to the tutorial. The tutorial is really easy, even if you can't do controller + fps at all. The beginning missions are also pretty easy but they get longer and harder (heh) as you go along. Regardless, at the end of the tutorial I was taken to this area (still not sure what the whole thing is called), but it's where you can check your mail, go to the gunsmith, etc etc. At that point you are now online and there are other people in your world. It was at that point that I had adam come in and play with me because I didn't really want to play with randies when I am not good at aiming with a controller. However, if you and one other friend are in there then two randies will join. Initially, you have a primary and a special gun (does a shit ton of damage zoomed in but has a small clip), but you get more as you go along. Not being familiar with destiny at all, as I was leveling up I was not even paying attention to the fact that I got new guns each time. It wasn't until the end that I found this out and put on a scout.

The controls are a little different, mainly at the menus. It relies on a cursor based off of your left stick to move around to different submenus in the menus. Also, weapon switch is the triangle button which was weird to me, I've seen it usually on the arrow pad. The vehicles are pretty intuitive. Unlike borderlands. where you move your vehicle with your mouse/look around, this one uses your move (left) stick, like wasd on a keyboard. Also, Adam told me that the preorder sparrow dlc thing includes a boost that you wouldn't see if you don't have it.

You don't die much (at least until the later levels) because you regenerate health fairly quickly and the NPC's are not the smartest. If one of them is standing up on a rock and you are almost dead from that, you can just stand under the rock and heal up. It won't take long and he won't notice you there. There is this thing in certain areas of missions called the "Dark Zone" where if you die, you wait 30 seconds instead of like 5 and you have to run back from the beginning of the dark zone (unless you are revived). Normally, if you die you respawn in 5 seconds. That being said, it takes no more than 2 seconds for your teammate to revive you.

The storyline is not enforced as much as it might seem. It's about the same as borderlands, with a few more cutscenes. The story was a little interesting but not enough for me to memorize the entire situation and why I'm there. Basically what I remember is that humans took over venus and mars, tripled the population, had a golden age, the world got destroyed, and now you're some sort of guardian.

One of the biggest features of this game is the customizability. It is pretty linear at the beginning (meaning you are forced to making certain decisions for upgrades) but I believe that you get more choices later on. You get to eventually choose several different weapons, armor, etc. The biggest deciding factor on what unlocks you get later is the class you choose. I chose titan.

The overall gameplay could possibly get boring, but the leveling system is decently rewarding, and there are different challenges presented to you each time that retest your critical thinking.

I'm tired so I'm probably leaving out a few things but overall I give it a solid 8.5/10. There are a few things here and there that are irritating but overall it is a good game, and the best $60 I've spent in awhile. And if you've already been thinking about getting a ps4, then pick up the white ps4 with destiny. It is worth it and you get destiny for free.

• Like 2