Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

9Mm Or .40 Cal

Shot

9mm vs .40 Cal  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm leaning more towards the .40 glock 23 to carry around but I will end up wanting something for home and the shooting range.

having trouble deciding but I like to see peoples opinions. I've heard many interesting facts about both sides from the negative to the positive.

I think I mentioned before I have the Glock 23 Gen 4 and really like it a lot.

I know that the Army is ditching the Beretta 9mm; Just not enough fire power. They will likely go back to the Colt .45, but it hasn't been decided yet.

45 is a good gun, but doesn't have good bullets per mag ratio.

If you are new to firearms stick with the 9mm. If you are more experienced choose the .40. I prefer the .40 over 9mm.

Comparison:

• .40 is going to stop someone way faster than a 9mm. Yes you can shoot more bullets with the 9mm faster than the .40 but if you know how to handle the .40 you only need the one shot.
  • Also for home defense you will be close to the intruder and will most likely not miss a shot from 5ft. It beats riddling your walls with bullets before you neutralize the threat.
  • The military is seeking a new side arm. Rumors are they are going back to the .45. But the military also uses the M240B. Does not mean you should purchase one because the Military prefers it. They have different uses and scenarios for their weapons than you and you should choose your firearm for your needs.
  • (Because I doubt you are kicking down doors and need a magazine with more capacity to neutralize more targets) Just know how to handle your weapon and you wont need more shots to protect yourself.

For a gun at the range find any gun that you like. If anyone asks you "Why do you need that FN FAL?" Just respond with "Shooting shit is awesome."

• Like 1

I didn't see a "both" option. Collect them all. No sense in having one and not the other

Lol, true. But its the sense of one being better for home defense while the other one has a different purpose and is issued to 5 military branches, FBI, CIA, and multiple police forces for the ability to incapacitate multiple threats in a short duration. I agree they are both very fun to shoot at the range but for people that don't want an arsenal and just want one firearm I'd recommend the .40.

I'm leaning more towards the .40 glock 23 to carry around but I will end up wanting something for home and the shooting range.

having trouble deciding but I like to see peoples opinions. I've heard many interesting facts about both sides from the negative to the positive.

It's nice to get different opinions but make sure to try both at the range before you decide. For 9mm pistols I'd recommend the Beretta M9 or the HK VP9. For the .40 I'd agree with you on the Glock 23.

I have both a 9mm and .40 glocks. I prefer the 9mm. The ammunition is cheaper.

Completely depends on what type of ammo you are buying. You can find ammo cheaper than dirt online for the .40

If you are buying from the sports store, a lot of the times they are going to be more expensive.

I prefer a 9mm because of its fire rate and magazine capacity. Plus like FaZe said ammo is cheaper.

What type of ammo is your go to? Do you use it at the range or for home defense? Because different ammo has different uses and different prices.

Edited by ♣♦King♠♥

Both are fine for carry weapons and both will get the job done. I carried a Glock 27 (40 cal) almost exclusively until the Glock 42 (380) came out. If you can get your hands on one, try out the Glock 42. Hands down, it's the best gun I've ever owned. Simple to carry (due to it's low profile) and the handling of it is nothing short of fucking amazing.

• Like 1

Both are fine for carry weapons and both will get the job done. I carried a Glock 27 (40 cal) almost exclusively until the Glock 42 (380) came out. If you can get your hands on one, try out the Glock 42. Hands down, it's the best gun I've ever owned. Simple to carry (due to it's low profile) and the handling of it is nothing short of fucking amazing.

THE CHOICES!!!!! I may just end up saying fuck it and getting one of each

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 9mm S&W 5906 and Glock 17. I also have a .40 Taurus 24/7 OSS. I use the .40 for home defense. The 9 mainly for target practice and at the range. My favorite personal concealed weapon I carry is a Walther PPKS .380. I am dead on accurate with it. I can nail a bird 40 yards away. Yeah it is small and about the same knock down as a 9mm but I love its accuracy. No wonder James Bond carries it.

The 9mm S&W is heavy frame and even unloading the clip I still keep a nice pattern. The Taurus has a little more kick even though it is heavy but not as heavy as the S&W. Unloading on a target 40-50 yards my grouping is well less than desired. Steady slow pull center mass is not an issue. Yet if your just using it for home defense it is the way to go. The cost isn't that much usually only 2 or 3 bucks more a box for .40. I have only shot the Glock a few times.

• Also for home defense you will be close to the intruder and will most likely not miss a shot from 5ft. It beats riddling your walls with bullets before you neutralize the threat.

If you use a pistol for home defense rather than a shotgun, you're already making a mistake IMO. The last thing that should be worried about during a home defense situation is bullet holes in a wall.

Personally, I would go with the .40. As said, the magazine capacity, if used in a real situation for home defense, shouldn't arise as an issue as long as you're accurate. That, and as long as you hit them, the stopping power will go a long way. 9mm would do better for a target practice gun, but for personal defense the .40 should be a pretty simple choice.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...