Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

I'm not sure that any of you guys will read this, but this is my way to giving back to the community,

I present to HG,

Ultimate Guide to Recording/Streaming using Open Broadcast Software.

(if you fucking copy and paste this and put your name on it I'm going to fucking make your life a living hell, i spent so many hours fucking typing this piece of shit and i will honestly make it my life mission to annoy / disturb / destroy your life.)

This guide includes Noob friendly instructions to:

1.) Download and Install OBS.

2.) Set up and Configure OBS for streaming and/or recording.

3.) Install Plugins for OBS, like and Explain why you should use OBS and the benefits it has over Shadowplay, Mirillis Action!, Dxtory, Fraps, or any other recording software.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why am I making a guide / Why should YOU use OBS as your primary video capturing software?

If your already hooked and want to use it, Continue to the next category.

1.) It's lightweight & friendlier with all systems. If your system is Shadowplay capable, you can set an option in OBS that will utilize NVIDIA's features, It has support for Intel's Quick Sync feature on CPU's that can even further lessen the impact that capturing has on a system, and is also compatible with AMD/ATI Hardware (like me ;D)

2.) It has amazing customization, You can swap from your Desktop, Game, Video File, Browser, by using hotkeys or switching though "scenes". You can also install plugins that can load browser elements or videos or a teamspeak overlay on top of your recording file/steam.

3.) It's completely fucking free. No strings attached.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downloading/Installing OBS.

1.) Click on this text to head over to the website.

2.) Do you see where Get OBS #.### Beta is? Click the button below it that says Windows 7/8/10. It should start downloading.

3.) After the program is finished downloading, Run it. Follow the instructions that appear on the installer.

4.) When It's finished installing, There should/might be a shortcut on your desktop that says Open Broadcasting Software. Delete the shortcut.

(Why should I delete the shortcut? Because it's pointing to the 32 bit version, and since its the middle of 2015, You should be running on a 64 bit operating system.)

(If for some reason your still running on a 32 bit system, Ignore step 4 & 5 and/or proceed to disconnect your PC/Laptop, Fill your shower/bathtub with cold water and throw your PC into the shower/bathtub.)

(In the case where you don't have a shower/bathtub, Go to the nearest terrorist organization closest to your current location and sacrifice your computer.)

5.) Click your start menu, Search Open Broadcasting Software (64bit) and right-click it, then click Open File Location. Right click OBS/OBS.exe in Windows Explorer and click Send to -> Desktop (Create Shortcut).

6.) Right click OBS/OBS.exe again, Click Properties, Click Compatibility, Click Change for All Users, and then click Run this program as Administrator. Click OK on everything.

Setting up OBS for Recording.

If you want streaming, go to the next category, if not or you want both, keep reading.

1.) Start the program.

2.) On the OBS main screen, there should be Not Streaming in the middle, on the top section of the window, click profile -> rename, and then type in: "Recording".

3.) Click Settings -> Settings on the top of the window. Then hit Encoding.

You now have a couple of options on Encoder, I will explain them.

x264 - Most hard hitting, but better quality than all three, click this if you have a system that can handle this.

Intel Quick Sync - Use this if you don't have access to Nvidias NVENC and x264 hits your computer too hard.

Nvidia NVENC - Codec that Shadowplay uses to be like.

4.) x264 Settings - (Exactly like this, Don't complaing about problems with recording if you changed something.)

RAhpPBO.png

(This will guarantee that OBS will output at the highest quality.)

6.) Click Video on the left bar,

Use your common sense, If your computer is beefy, and your games average FPS is HIGHER THAN 60, then set your FPS to 60, THERE IS NO NEED TO GO ANY HIGHER.

If you start your recordings and CPU encoding is high,

Lower your FPS to 30 and/or set Resoution Downscale to 1280x720 and set a filter if quality is not up to your taste.

7.) Click Audio on the left bar,

If you hear your mic on recordings and you think its too low, set your Mic/Aux Boost to 2 or higher.

Make sure your speakers and microphone are the same ones you use for gaming.

8.) Click Hotkeys on the left bar,

Self Explanatory, Set your hotkeys and It's highly recommended to use Push-To-Talk.

9.) Click Advanced on the left bar.

IphkIr8.png

Setting up OBS for Streaming.

1.) Start the program.

2.) On the OBS main screen, there should be Not Streaming in the middle, on the top section of the window, click profile -> rename, and then type in: "Streaming".

3.) Click Settings -> Settings on the top of the window. Then hit Encoding on the left side.

You now have a couple of options on Encoder, I will explain them.

x264 - Only viable and reliable option for streaming.

Intel Quick Sync - High bitrate & Bad Quality. Don't use this for streaming.

Nvidia NVENC - Codec that Shadowplay uses. This is not viable for twitch due to the high bitrate this causes and unless you have good upload speed, this is not going to work.

4.) x264 Settings - (Exactly like this, Don't complaining about problems with recording if you changed something.)

If you need to test your upload bitrate to see what your internet can handle, click this text.

sF6h4Bf.png

5.) Click Broadcasting Settings on the left bar,

(This guide covers Twitch.tv only, Please use your friend Google for other streaming services.)

Click this text for an easy way to find your ping to certain areas (Lower/Greener is better.)

In order to get your stream key, replace the yourtwitch with your user name for twitch and copy and paste the link into your browser.

HELLSGAMERS FOURMS MESS'S WITH TWITCH LINKS TO DASHBOARDS ;_; SORRY GUYS, USE GOOGLE.

9vq5dhn.png

7.) Click Video on the left bar,

Use your common sense, If your computer is beefy, and your games average FPS is HIGHER THAN 60, then set your FPS to 60, THERE IS NO NEED TO GO ANY HIGHER.

Oh yeah, Up your bitrate by 1000-2000 if you switch to 60 FPS.

If you start your recordings and CPU encoding is high,

Lower your FPS to 30 and/or set Resoution Downscale to 1280x720 and set a filter if quality is not up to your taste.

8.) Click Audio on the left bar,

If you hear your mic on recordings and you think its too low, set your Mic/Aux Boost to 2 or higher.

Make sure your speakers and microphone are the same ones you use for gaming.

9.) Click Hotkeys on the left bar,

Self Explanatory, Set your hotkeys and It's highly recommended to use Push-To-Talk.

10.) Click Advanced on the left bar.

GIrPdyB.png

The rest is coming in the near future, Stay Tuned :D

If you would like to suggest or fix anything in the guide, Please post below.

If you want me to post a Youtube version and/or Make another Ultimate Guide, Please also post that below.

Thanks!

Edited by likeablas
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

So finally tested this and working awesome for recording video in games. There are still 2 issues that I have and are as follows.

1. In CSGO it seems to cause huge lag (Ping) when recording with it jumping into the 150-200 range. As soon as I stop recording it goes away. (This is not internet or should not be as recording only not streaming.)

2. Also when recording in CSGO the Bass is seriously blown out compared to everything else. When playing while recording it sounds normal in my headset yet when playing the file through GOM player it is horrifying.

Any tips or suggestions on what might be happening? Every single other game seems to be fine when recording (Rocket League, Fallout 4, Bioshock) and does not seem to have these issues.

• 1 month later...

2. Also when recording in CSGO the Bass is seriously blown out compared to everything else. When playing while recording it sounds normal in my headset yet when playing the file through GOM player it is horrifying.

Any tips or suggestions on what might be happening? Every single other game seems to be fine when recording (Rocket League, Fallout 4, Bioshock) and does not seem to have these issues.

I only used Bandicam/Miriliis Action! and FRAPS but its probably worth a try and see your csgo audio settings or recorder audio settings or even editor audio settings as the bitrate whatsoever could be worse than you guess.

I use Fraps btw. Audio is full quality regardless of settings but not sure about yours!

I only used Bandicam/Miriliis Action! and FRAPS but its probably worth a try and see your csgo audio settings or recorder audio settings or even editor audio settings as the bitrate whatsoever could be worse than you guess.

I use Fraps btw. Audio is full quality regardless of settings but not sure about yours!

I've long since moved on from OBS as far as recording. I finally managed to get Shadwplay recording for as long as I wish. I might still check out the others.

• 10 months later...