Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Gmod Church (Open Meeting) 1/16/2016

white-come-to-church-we-have-cookies-women_design.png

NOTE: Any post not following the template below will be hidden/deleted, please speak to a leadership member with any questions

Basic information on our cult community gathering:

Who: Anyone not banned from TeamSpeak that would like to talk about Garry's Mod

What: Discuss the future of the Garry's Mod division moving forward this year

When: Saturday, January 16th, 2016 at 5:00 PM EST or 2:00 PM PST

Where: TeamSpeak Channel

Why: To seek enlightenment and/or be enlightened

Meeting Preface

I firmly believe that a lack of sufficient communication has caused the issues currently facing the community today and I take full responsibility for that. Leadership decisions were not communicated effectively to the community and feedback from the community was not acted upon in timely manner in certain circumstances. Both issues largely revolved around my own life responsibilities putting a time crunch on my work in HG which usually only gave time for development and delegated most administrative tasks to divisional staff. Whom did not always have enough direction or ability to influence changes in the community, which, unfortunately, caused members to leave when it could have been avoided. That being said, moving forward I would like to work towards being more transparent with leadership decisions, diligently responding to community suggestions, and working with leadership members to make sure they have all the tools they need to be effective. At the same time I would also ask for patience, we're by no means a development studio and our content is entirely developed and maintained by volunteers (leadership included). It often requires finding time in between our education, careers, and having a break in the interim to stop us from burning out. We can be slow to adjust at times, and I completely understand your frustration but it is just the nature of the beast at the moment. I hope this meeting can be one of the first, of many, steps to mitigating this issue as much as problem.

tl;dr - Everyone in the division wants it to succeed, I want it to succeed, leadership wants it to succeed. We will on occasion make mistakes and we just ask that you let us work to correct them even if you don't see immediate results.

Meeting Outline

1. Leadership speaks for a few minutes about current state of the division
  2. Open the floor for general division discussion (not about a specific gamemode/server) from the community
  3. Speak about the current state of the PERP and Cinema servers and what we can do to improve them moving forward
  4. Open Pandora's Bex Have a rational and calm discussion about the current state of the Zombie Survival server and what we should do moving forward
  5. Close things up with anything else that someone would like to ask, clarify, or start World War III over

Meeting Guidelines

• This isn't a meeting to talk about recruit/member/veteran/staff promotions, this meeting is solely to improve the Garry's Mod community in the new year.
  • If you have any specific issues with something on the server not working (i.e. a bug) please make a thread about it on the forums.
  • This is a meeting for rational and calm discussion, any and all drama creators during the meeting will be dreamwrecked, banned from TeamSpeak, and/or permanently placed in the MMO division.
  • Feel free to disagree with something leadership or another community member has said, but your argument can't devolve to the point where you feel the need to say that you're right because of your experience on the server for x number of years or y person doesn't know because they haven't played long enough. You can however give an example or anecdote of a counterpoint to the argument that is being made.
  • Don't talk over people. Its a fairly simple rule and if you feel the need to talk over someone you will likely lose the privilege to continue talking. You yelling louder than them doesn't make your point right.
  • There have been several events recently on the server that will not be discussed at the meeting because it will just derail any further conversation, if you wish to talk about something in general that does not center around a specific set of player(s) or event(s) that is fine. If you would like to privately discuss any of the more recent events feel free to send me a PM on the forums or we can speak after the meeting has concluded in TeamSpeak.

Meeting Topics

While you're more than welcome to wait till the meeting to discuss a topic, I would highly encourage you to use the template below the submit topics or discussions for the meeting. This way myself and other leadership members can be prepared to answer your questions completely. As discussed in the guidelines above, the topics are not to cause drama or focus on specific events related to a handful of people but for improving the community at large.

Topic:
Area: (community related or for a specific server)
Description:

Link Dump

See you at church!

• Like 5

Topic: Garry's Mod Events

Area: Garry's Mod Community

Description: It's been a VERY long time since the garry's mod divison has ever held an event for the community. The only actually ingame event I recall is the PERP Minigames event. Which was a year ago...

Can we volunteer to be in MMO Division also?

∧__∧

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

⊂  ã¤

(㤠ノ

(ノ

\      ☆

|     ☆

(⌒ ⌒ヽ   /

\  (´⌒  ⌒  ⌒ヾ   ï¼

(’⌒ ; ⌒   ::⌒  )

(´     )     ::: ) ï¼

☆─ (´⌒;:    ::⌒`) :;  )

(⌒::   ::     ::⌒ )

ï¼ã€€ï¼ˆã€€ã€€ã€€ã€€ã‚  ヾ 丶  ソ ─

Edited by Manchu_OPFOR
  • Like 3

Topic: Garry's Mod Development

Area: Coders

Description: Wouldn't it be better to get more coders to work on the dev team? It would really help the development of PERP speed up, and could even help in the pioneering of new gamemodes if that's in the interests of HG. If the PERP situation is that it's slowed due to it being a one man project, couldn't HG hire more coders? It gave them a shit ton of money anyway, so investing money into it by hiring coders would seem reasonable.

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion" - Parkinson's Law

Adding more coders immediately to fix a problem isn't going to mean we're going to see more content per updates, or more regular updates. The time it would cost for us to train, hone and articulate a new coder would (for right now at least) not be made back by the eventual speeding up of the process of getting updates on the beat. That's not to say in the future we could use more, but for right now at least, it isn't going to necessarily help.

We realisically cannot financially pay coders to do work for us. We'd have to ask people to work for us in their spare time on a voluntary basis, as both John and Forrest have done. Besides, someone who is passionate about helping us develop and grow (our server is literally bulging at the seams these last few weeks) will do a much better job than someone who just does it for money. Someone who cares about the gamemode will always do their best in the long run, rather than doing their best now and then dropping off soon after.

Also keep in mind the PERP gamemode by design is a very complex system to work with. ZS in comparison is a much more streamlined gamemode code wise, which makes adding more modules, addons and code within it very manageable. Also with PERP, Parkinson's Law would apply even more.

However, we are hoping to address all concerns so we do hope to keep this in mind :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...