Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Pls Help Build

Cookie

1. Budget

A range would help or fixed price (how much are you willing to spend)

1000ish

2. Brand preferences

Intel

3. What do you plan to do with the machine?

Play any game I want

4. Is there a place where you'd like to get the parts from?

Amazon prime is best or newegg

5. What parts (if any) do you have already that you don't need upgraded?

None

6. Do you plan to overlock?

No

7. Do you have an OS (e.g. Windows) that you can use for this computer?

Yes

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($120.89 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.00 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1193.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 14:11 EST-0500

The 980 isn't worth an extra 150 compar d to the 970. It's better to go dual 970 if you wanted to go the extra mile for performance.

^This, the 970 is a great card, its kinda like a cut down 980. Speaking from experience, if you're gaming on 1080p the 970 is hands down the best card for the money right now. You can ignore the complaints about how its really only got 3.5gb vram and the other .5 gb being super slow because at 1080p you will never see it go past 3.5 gb unless you're using dsr to push your res to qhd or uhd.

The 980 isn't worth an extra 150 compar d to the 970. It's better to go dual 970 if you wanted to go the extra mile for performance.

This is where I disagree. One better GPU is better then two "lesser" GPU's. Use SLI with GPU's is not always perfect. Some games just don't support it as well. I do agree 980 price is not worth it but I don't recommend two 970's.

• Like 2

This is where I disagree. One better GPU is better then two "lesser" GPU's. Use SLI with GPU's is not always perfect. Some games just don't support it as well. I do agree 980 price is not worth it but I don't recommend two 970's.

This is true, if he had enough money in his initial budget for two 970s I'd say just go for a single 980ti.

Wow. You don't know too much about GPU's then. Two 970 SLI is actually benchmarked higher than the 980 TI.

The argument giants made is still valid though, not all games support sli. Some newer games still don't support it. There's also games that support it but have bad scaling. All that performance from the second card is wasted while the guy running a single 980ti is blazing past you.

• Like 2

Wow. You don't know too much about GPU's then. Two 970 SLI is actually benchmarked higher than the 980 TI. Think of it like pushing a cart. 1 strong guy pushing it will make it go, but it will be harder on the man since he is pushing it all on his own. If two men push the cart, they both are working half as hard, and will therefore be able to go farther and faster.

Another way to put it is to simply add them. 970=7 980=10 980 TI=13. 7+7=14 14> 10 14>13

In a perfect world where you get 200% scaling maybe, but in reality it can be pretty bad or sli being completely broken, along with vram not stacking (other then possibly with dx12 in the future).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($241.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus Z97 PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($120.89 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.00 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($459.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1193.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 14:11 EST-0500

Looks good, I would cut a few things like maybe the ssd size and or just a wd blue and go with 16 GBs of ram.

Edited by Short
  • Like 2

wait, you do realize we're talking about the 980, not the 980 TI right?

Yes, but did you not mention the 980ti in the post I quoted? I know the 980 is the option in the build request. I was only replying to the arguments of dual vs single card performance in actual games.

Before I throw a parts list at you just curious what kind of case were you looking to get? Were you hoping to get a case with side panel to see inside or nah? And what size of case do you need it to be?

Case really doesn't matter

I'm buying the cpu motherboard and case at once then the rest later. Do I need thermal paste or whatever to put the cpu in the mobo?

Edited by Cookie

You only need to apply thermal paste if you're reusing a cpu cooler. Every CPU cooler that is brand new has thermal paste already applied to it, so no need to buy thermal paste

I decided to get a 6600k instead of the 4690k evo suggested, what mobo should I get for that

Get any Z97 Mobo. They would be optimized for that CPU

I don't think z97 supports skylake? 6600k needs a mobo with the z170 chipset, socket 1151. He also might have to change his ram choice depending on the motherboard he chooses since not all z170 boards support ddr3, most are made for ddr4 in mind. It will also have to be low voltage ddr3 which seems like most are now a days but should still check just in case.

I don't think z97 supports skylake? 6600k needs a mobo with the z170 chipset, socket 1151. He also might have to change his ram choice depending on the motherboard he chooses since not all z170 boards support ddr3, most are made for ddr4 in mind. It will also have to be low voltage ddr3 which seems like most are now a days but should still check just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012N6LOZS/ref=ya_st_dp_summary this is the one I got and yea I had to pick up ddr4 instead

Wow. You don't know too much about GPU's then. Two 970 SLI is actually benchmarked higher than the 980 TI. Think of it like pushing a cart. 1 strong guy pushing it will make it go, but it will be harder on the man since he is pushing it all on his own. If two men push the cart, they both are working half as hard, and will therefore be able to go farther and faster.

Another way to put it is to simply add them. 970=7 980=10 980 TI=13. 7+7=14 14> 10 14>13

I mean hey, go ahead and do the SLI. I personally don't recommend it. For some odd reason SLI is not 100% reliable. The fact that a game has to pull VRAM (or whatever it is called) off of two cards simultaneously just opens the doors to problems. With these cards getting so powerful, just going for once it a good bet. The example with the two men does not work with SLI too. It depends on the games optimization. *FOR INSTANCE* If you have one GPU that puts CSGO at 500 frames, and then SLI with the SAME GPU. You are not automatically going to get 1000 frames. Maybe 600-800 but certainly not double. I personally wish this was the case, that would be amazing. Hopefully down the line developers will try to use SLI most efficiently.