Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Shots Desktop Build

Shot

Got a good amount of money on my tax refund. Meant to do this earlier but life punched me in the stomach and took away my money. This is the build I am going for, Is there any changes anyone would recommend or is this good enough?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QQMdpg

I will be going in person to a micro center to get the parts.

Edited by Shot

You could get a regular sized atx motherboard since you're getting an atx full tower case but totally up to you, it all looks good.

Made the change, thank you

Should I be worried about this compatibility issue?

• The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

Edited by Shot

Made the change, thank you

Should I be worried about this compatibility issue?

• The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled.

Hhmm well the board comes with 8 sata ports in total so it all depends on if you'll need all 8 ports for drives and such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Executive Council

Sorry to bump here, but it is very worth noting that your M.2 drive is just SATA 3 (6GB/s) so you're paying quite a bit more for the same performance as a normal SSD, while also losing the functionality of 2 of your SATA ports. I would say either pay up for a real M.2 board that uses PCIe, or save money and buy a cheaper SATA SSD.

Here's some reading:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-xp941-z97-pci-express,3826-2.html - this talks about a different Intel chipset than you're using, but similar functionality and performance.

• Like 1

Sorry to bump here, but it is very worth noting that your M.2 drive is just SATA 3 (6GB/s) so you're paying quite a bit more for the same performance as a normal SSD, while also losing the functionality of 2 of your SATA ports. I would say either pay up for a real M.2 board that uses PCIe, or save money and buy a cheaper SATA SSD.

Here's some reading:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-xp941-z97-pci-express,3826-2.html - this talks about a different Intel chipset than you're using, but similar functionality and performance.

Glad I made the change. Build is complete. Changed it a bit but was happy with the outcome.

Http://imgur.com/u5Ox72x

Http://imgur.com/McGXBxW

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

i have to agree that youre kinda wasting a slot on your mobo with the ssd when you could just use an sata ssd, using that slot will limit the size of card you can fit on you mobo and possible sli configurations. and personally i like the corsair 780ti over the 760 when theres only like a $20-25 price difference. but other than that, its a really nice build.

• Executive Council

i have to agree that youre kinda wasting a slot on your mobo with the ssd when you could just use an sata ssd, using that slot will limit the size of card you can fit on you mobo and possible sli configurations. and personally i like the corsair 780ti over the 760 when theres only like a $20-25 price difference. but other than that, its a really nice build.

Solid necro post

But just to nail it down for you:

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/item/13/132/13-132-565/2_081415.jpg

It honestly wouldn't affect much with placement, it's below anything most PCIe card would have on them. Not sure what you're on about SLI (unless it's about the previous mentioned non-issue of card space)

If he used a real M.2 card, there would be a significant speed increase from 6GB/s SATA, so not a waste, if done properly.