Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

What Language/topic Would You Be Interested In Learning?

imasonaz

What would you like to learn?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Executive Council

People have expressed interest in learning, sharing, or enriching their knowledge of programming/modeling/mapping/whatever HGDC related, so I thought I would see what people are most interested in, feel free to select as many as you would like, as long as you are serious about learning it!

Edit, descriptions:

My apologies, I did assume some knowledge when posting this. Some of the descriptions are simplified and I try to provide more information than historical background.

• Web design (HTML/PHP/CSS/RoR/???)
    • HTML is sort of the base of what all web pages are written in. Most languages use/manipulate HTML to change how something is displayed to you
    • PHP is a language used to dynamically display web pages, it can manipulate HTML or connect it to databases. This forum is heavily written in PHP
    • CSS is a markup language, it helps standardize how HTML is displayed, based on the groups a container, element, etc is part of.
    • RoR is an acronym for Ruby on Rails, often called just "Rails". To start, Ruby is a general-use programming language, designed to be dynamic and completely flexible. RoR is on rails because it is a Web Application Framework. It takes code written in Ruby or similar languages and creates javascript, HTML, etc to process page requests. RoR is very abstract and can take days or weeks to learn well.
    • Javascript is a web scripting language used to process user input, page changes, server information, etc. etc. It is used as the base of a number of other languages/frame works (Node.js, Ajax, etc), and can do anything from change the placement of a box, process clicks, or pull data from a server.

[*]C/C++/C#

• C Is a very widely used, low-level programming language. It is what many Operating Systems, or hardware-level (aka low-level) pieces or software are written in.
    • C++ is exactly like C, except more advanced. The biggest difference is that C++ is what is called an Object-Oriented language (Details of Object-Oriented Programming are a bit more advanced than I will be going over in this post). Along with this difference, C++ adds modern syntaxing and structures that were not originally part of C. Additionally, since C was "invented" before the rise of the internet, C++ adds a lot of functionality and extends things like sockets and network comparability, process threading (for multi-core processing). C++ is probably more widely used than C these days for this exact reason, you can do more, in essentially the same language (really short summary)
    • C# is another fork of C. It is more "C-like" and less a direct fork of traditional C. Is is usually based in the .NET framework, and therefore many people prefer to program C# in Visual Studio. Many Microsoft users and developers use C# for its ease of getting started, but it is a very capable and expansive language. At the same time, it requires a number of libraries to run it and can therefore seem "heavy"

[*]JAVA

• JAVA is a very versatile programming language, that took a number of ideas from C and expanded them. The main purpose was to make JAVA usable on any platform (since back in the day C didn't play nice on every computer, think Windows vs Mac) JAVA is pretty easy to use and get started.

[*]Weapon and player modeling

• Pretty self-explanatory, wrapping images to player and weapon models.

[*]Map making

• This is a large category. This could include everything from make setup, compilation, Valve Hammer, LUA, etc etc.

[*]LUA/Source Pawn (SM/SMX)

• LUA and Source Pawn are what most server plugins are based in. Clients can also run mods in LUA (and often do), where SP is pretty much 100% server side. SP is the language that Source Mod runs.

[*]Git/Source management

• Git is a set of tools for managing changes to code, or anything really. It tracks changes to text documents directly, but can track versions of things like images as well. It is very versitile and useful for tracking changes and versions of documents or code. I leave it open so "Source management" because there are other ways to do it besides Git. It is common to use sites like GitHub to manage these repositories. blah blah blah

Sources/learning material:

My suggested development environments:

If all else fails, you could always use something like Notepad++

Information, Getting started, Tools, Tutorials:

If anyone has any questions, or has something to add to these, please do. This is a very quick summary of each point.

• Like 8

It would be cool if u could tell us what any of this means, like which one is coding or are they all like subdivisions of coding bc rn the only thing I understand, as someone who knows Jack shit about computers, the only one I understand is map making( bc the name describes it) edit: and the player model/web design, i didn't see those as I'm blind

Edited by kiyu

• Executive Council

It would be cool if u could tell us what any of this means, like which one is coding or are they all like subdivisions of coding bc rn the only thing I understand, as someone who knows Jack shit about computers, the only one I understand is map making( bc the name describes it) edit: and the player model/web design, i didn't see those as I'm blind

Added explainations, links and more to original post to help!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Only one I would like to become more proficient in is C++, it has been quite a few years since the last time I worked on a project using C++. As for Web Design languages such as html, php, css, and javascript, I already have a high proficiency in these languages. As well as some experience in JAVA also.