Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Baby Panda

Curious to know if people are actually still playing Skyrim to begin with in HG. I know that it's STILL up there on Steam for player stats. I just wanna know about people who play it and also if people got the special edition.

• Do you think it's a huge difference?
  • Are you willing to play the game all over again with much better graphics, environments, quests, characters, weapons, and armor?

Personally, Skyrim is my favorite game of all time and having this special edition come out, also being free because I had all DLCs, is amazing. Playing the game all over again is fine by mean and better when it looks this damn beautiful.

• Like 2

It may look damn beautiful for you, but for me, it looks even worse than Skyrim on low graphics.

Me and my friends experienced major polygon glitches from every single angle, random white patches everywhere.

And then the game crashed at Helgen.

It was pretty disappointing to me. But at least I got it for free.

You receive it as a free copy if you previously owned all downloadable content for Skyrim on Steam. I haven't received any bugs or texture glitches, noticed an immense increase for vanilla graphic quality, meshes and textures. The worked out a lot of vanilla bugs, miscellaneous other improvements that are notable if you're an experienced player.

The biggest con about the Special Edition is that, to my knowledge, some mods are incompatible and SKSE requires a rework in the code before mods can be reapplied. Prior to the Special Edition release - my modified Skyrim looked a lot better due to the amount of modifications I had enabled. I'll have to redo some papyrus script and model placements for the mods that I have created because of what they have changed.

You can tell that within the first 20 minutes of gameplay that there were tremendous engine improvements and revisions. Some textures still look a bit blurry, but that's easy to pass to the side. They spent a lot of their time generating new LOD on ground terrain, which doesn't affect performance because it is generated in sectors. This accounts for the majority of graphical improvements in my opinion.

• Executive Council

The reason for Special Edition is a better engine upgrade. It seems to have fixed crash to desktop issues n' such. But the real benefit will be felt in modding. Once SKSE gets ported over then modding can take off again. The 64bit binary gives much more addressable memory to the process.