Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Need Help In Getting Stronger

karcel

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums.

This is a weird first post, but I would love some input.

I can currently bench 140 lbs, squat 275 lbs, and power-clean 170 lbs.

I am 17 years old, weigh about 130 lbs, and i am 5"7 (i'm really small :/).

So do you guys think I am at least average in terms of strength? I've been having some self-esteem issue regarding my body and strength. I really wish i was stronger, which is why I've started a workout routine.

I'm trying to get fit to enhance my sports performance and just to boost my self-esteem. Do you guys have any workout ideas I can do to accomplish this (triceps, biceps, thighs, pecs, and calves)

I can currently bench 140 lbs, squat 275 lbs, and power-clean 170 lbs.

I am 17 years old, weigh about 130 lbs, and i am 5"7 (i'm really small :/).

So do you guys think I am at least average in terms of strength? I've been having some self-esteem issue regarding my body and strength. I really wish i was stronger, which is why I've started a workout routine.

I'm trying to get fit to enhance my sports performance and just to boost my self-esteem. Do you guys have any workout ideas I can do to accomplish this (triceps, biceps, thighs, pecs, and calves)

At 130lbs and already benching 140, you're on the right path.

As far as self-esteem, completely drop it. If you're going to any kind of gym, I'm telling you, no one is judging you based off of how much you can lift or how big you look. Everyone is at the gym for a reason, to improve their overall health.

Also, something I saw you didn't mention was your eating habits. 90% of how your body is going to look is based off of what you eat. You want to eat your lean meats and get as much protein as you can, going to McDonalds everyday is a good way to completely deteriorate your progress.

Building muscle takes a very long time. Is it not something you will see overnight, in a month, maybe in 4-5 months time. You need to have patience.

Schedule a routine for yourself. Certain muscle progression (arms, legs, calves, etc) work with each other. Figure out which days you want to train and do multiple on the same day.

Lastly, don't overwork yourself. You only need to realistically lift 4 nights a week. Some people go way over that, but it's completely uncessary. You need to give your muscles time to heal.

P.S: don't be scared of cardio. Spend some time on the tread mill.

If you need anymore help/have any more questions I'd be glad to answer them. :)

• Like 3

thanks for the advice guys

EDIT: To answer the question about my diet, I say I eat at fast-food places around once or twice a week. On the other hand, when I do eat home cooked meals, I eat fairly balance meal with a fair portion of meat, vegetables, and sometimes rice or pasta. I rarely drink soda anymore. So I have a pretty healthy diet.

Edited by karcel

This is gonna be kinda like what Suicide wrote but here's my input:

At the start of the wrestling season last year (16 years old), I weighed about 160 pounds (about 5'10"). I could maybe bench 150, squat 225, power clean 150. Nothing special. Although my strength wasn't top tier by the end of the season I was ripped and feeling hella good. Your lifts are undoubtedly better than mine were and you're smaller than I was. Your strength is subjective and is only in relation to your body. What I mean is you can't compare yourself to other people as everything about them is entirely different. You can only use them as a reference point. What you lift is what you lift and you shouldn't feel bad about it. You should embrace your body and your fitness to make yourself better everytime you enter the gym. Feeling self-conscious about your body and lifts is normal. Everyone who starts lifting feels that way and it gets better over time. The only thing you can do is keep lifting and making sure you're making progress every time.

The one thing I have to ask is: what is your goal? Do you want to look good? Or do you want to be strong? The routes are intertwined but there are major differences. As a general statement, like Sui said, watch what you're eating and make sure you have a routine. If you wanna talk more about this feel free to message me and I'll gladly give you pointers and workouts :D Goodluck man!

• Like 1

thanks for the response seraph.

My main goal is to be stronger. Looking good would be nice, but it isn't as significant to me.

It's partially to improve my performance in sports as well, as lacrosse season is coming up and I don't want to be pushed around so easily.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My son is 13 and weights 130, he benches 170 and squats 350, he is an avid inline speed skater which gives him great endurance for long workout sessions. You should try going skating its fun and you dont know your working out your legs alot.

i am alot larger than he is but he works out with me (army) two marines, two seals, and 1 ranger. They are helping him get ready for the marines, which is what he wants to do. I support his decision and if he changes his mind

i am fine with that too. He comes from a long line of military men and has a warrior ancestry through both his Russian and Apache side. I say just play some good music, keep up the good work and dont let negativity

ruin you. Think positive and eat for what best fits your goals.(tons of info inline on what to eat for your goals.)

My son is 13 and weights 130, he benches 170 and squats 350, he is an avid inline speed skater which gives him great endurance for long workout sessions. You should try going skating its fun and you dont know your working out your legs alot.

i am alot larger than he is but he works out with me (army) two marines, two seals, and 1 ranger. They are helping him get ready for the marines, which is what he wants to do. I support his decision and if he changes his mind

i am fine with that too. He comes from a long line of military men and has a warrior ancestry through both his Russian and Apache side. I say just play some good music, keep up the good work and dont let negativity

ruin you. Think positive and eat for what best fits your goals.(tons of info inline on what to eat for your goals.)

Jesus when i was 13 i just finished pokémon without cheats for the first time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like what Suicide said. You are definitely on the right path. Straighten up your diet, don't spend more than an hour to an hour and a half in the gym, and get some sleep. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was not eating enough quality food. If you are eating ALOT and aren't gaining then eat MORE to support your strength gains. I would say 95% of progress is made in the kitchen. I'd like to stress staying in the gym for long periods of time too. There is no need to destroy your muscles more than you need to. Get in the gym, do some work depending on your strength/hypertrophy goals, and get out to recover. No need to stick around. As far as sleep, try your best to get 8-10 hours of sleep a day so you can wake up refreshed and ready to kick the day in the ass.

I don't claim to be very strong, but I have been working out for quite a while now for powerlifting and bodybuilding. Maybe some others will have some different information to slide your way just make sure you do your own research on top of taking our and others advice. Keep killin it whatever your goals are!