Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

How Does An Engine Work?

Tyler LaCivita

diesel's don't use sparkplugs to ignite the piston chambers but rather the heat inside the chamber and the pressure created on the combustion stroke cause detonation, they do use heatplugs so when you go to start up the truck it can get er going easier, and heatblocks you can plug in to keep the engine block warm on very cold days before you start up, I work out of a truck with a regular engine 7.3L 454 big block v8, its nice during winter vs diesels on start up but the diesels trucks have such nice torque, also on diesels you turn the key to on and you will see the heatplug icon, you want to wait until it goes out then you are ready to crank the engine

diesel's don't use sparkplugs to ignite the piston chambers but rather the heat inside the chamber and the pressure created on the combustion stroke cause detonation, they do use heatplugs so when you go to start up the truck it can get er going easier, and heatblocks you can plug in to keep the engine block warm on very cold days before you start up, I work out of a truck with a regular engine 7.3L 454 big block v8, its nice during winter vs diesels on start up but the diesels trucks have such nice torque, also on diesels you turn the key to on and you will see the heatplug icon, you want to wait until it goes out then you are ready to crank the engine

Without watching that video earlier and being a noob, I consider myself a hobbiest mechanic, I dont know anything about the inside of a computer though. (Not calling you a noob Spikyball) To make it easy, in a diesel engine its a "Spritz" of fuel through an injector, which becomes super compressed, and uses heat to make the fuel explode.

Diesels are a complex engine but create immense power, they are made to work hard, as in hauling large amounts of weight around.

Gasoline engines use once again a "spritz" of fuel which in today's cars is through an injection system alot like the diesel counter-part but it also uses compression and spark from a spark plug, to create the explosion and to explain frostbyte its combustion pushes the piston which is connected to a crankshaft, which is a shaft that turns with the down force and also creates the up force to create more combustion which in turn runs a gear that is (in an automatic) connected to a power converter in the transmission and then so on so forth.

If your old school and you know how carbs work feel free to explain, i never understood them.

I prefer fixing ball joints and swapping axles to actually doing engine work.

• 1 month later...

I majored in Automotive technology and was a certified GM technician for a while

basic concept of the 4 stroke engine consists of a single ignition cycle carried out in 4 strokes of the piston. the main components i will be talking about in this concept is the combustion chamber (cylinder), intake valve, exhaust valve, piston, and spark plug (unless it is diesel -which i'll explain more later-)

upon the first stroke the intake valve will open and the piston will move from the top of the combustion chamber to the bottom creating the a vacuum and drawing air and fuel into the combustion camber. this is the end of the first stroke which is named the intake stroke

the second second stroke begins when the piston reaches the bottom of the combustion chamber, once that happens, the intake valves will close and the piston will move up the to the top of the combustion chamber causing the air and fuel mixture to compress withing a small area- this is second stroke known as the compression stroke.

at the transition from the second stroke and third stroke, in a gas engine. a spark plug will create a spark which ignites the air fuel mixture. in a diesel, there is no spark plug, the air fuel mixture is ignited from the heat caused during the compression stoke and happens when the compression stoke ends.

the third stoke is carried out after the air and fuel are ignited, this will cause a controlled combustion of the air and fuel which will force the piston to the bottom of the combustion chamber. -this is the third stoke which is known as the combustion stroke.

the fourth stroke begins when the piston reaches the bottom of the combustion chamber, the engine will use the momentum and energy it has gained from the combustion stroke and will open the exhaust valve and force the piston to the top of the combustion chamber forcing the byproduct gasses from the combustion stoke to flow into the exhaust system and into the atmosphere. this is the fourth and final stroke and is known as the exhaust stroke.