Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

La La Land

FoxHound

*I will attempt to avoid spoilers but a minor one here and there may slip through the cracks*

I am by no means a musical aficionado, I'm not really a fan of most musicals brought to film (broadway is fun) and the only musical I enjoyed before La La Land was Guys and Dolls with Frank Sinatra (I've seen about ~6 other musicals total), but I LOVE film and it is a serious hobby of mine, and I'm kind of a film snob or a cinephile. So when I say La La Land was incredible, I hope my experience with musicals is more convincing rather than not. You do not have to enjoy musicals to see La La Land and enjoy it, the songs don't feel forced (with 1 exception imo that would spoil a lot if I shared the song) and every song is well written, well sung and brilliantly choreographed. The story is exciting and heartfelt and you really are rooting for the characters because they exude unharvested talent that you know is there, which gives you this proud feeling every time they perform (Emma Stone's character being an actress and Ryan Gosling's character being a pianist). This isn't a product of a typical euphoric happy-go-lucky musical, this is the product of mixing a fun musical experience with masterful cinematography. Furthermore, writer and director Damien Chazelle is the same writer who worked on Whiplash and 10 Cloverfield Lane, so I am thoroughly confident that we are alive to witness a new cinematic giant the likes of Spielberg or Fellini, this film is a masterpiece in every sense and created by one of the best in Hollywood. Additionally, La La Land is shot in a very "Wes Anderson" sort of style with its great exuberance of color and lighting, which dramatically sets the mood subconsciously if you don't know what to look for, if that is something you admire (like me) it is a delight to see Chazelle's take. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not seeing La La Land in the best theater nearby.

In today's status updates someone recommended movie reviews, and while I don't intend on writing many (if any) more, this movie needs to be seen and I am passionate about that, so I figured I'd do anything I could to get that message across. Also, shoutout to Father for writing much better reviews than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPS2mjlBmTw

http://www.imdb.com/...?ref_=nm_knf_i3

• Like 2