Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Looking To Slowly Build A Pc.

techdude92

Hey all,

I'm trying something new out. I am a full-time student and would like to get into more PC-based gaming. However, I do not have the immediate budget to invest in a more expensive build-your-own gaming PC.

What I have done is this: My school sells used IT equipment from time to time and they were selling a used Dell Optiplex 3010 (desktop form factor) for $40. I've ordered it and expect to have it by monday.

I know that on it's own, the desktop configuration of this Optiplex is not conducive to upgrades whatsoever, with the PS being only 250 watts, and the case only being able to fit a low-profile video card.

What I'm hoping to accomplish is this: I want to start a base-level PC that I can upgrade as time goes on and as I have more time and money. My goal with the Optiplex is that I want to gut the entire PC and transfer it over into a larger case, put in a new PS and add more RAM and a video card. I'm wondering if all this will really be worth it? From what I can tell it seems like my idea should work but I just want to make sure that it'll really work before I begin to invest any further.

Here is the specs for the Optiplex

Dell Optiplex 3010

Case: Desktop form factor

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 OR 3220 3.3GHz

RAM: ?? (most likely 2-4 GBS) DDR3 Synch DRAMR Non-ECC Memory 1333 or 1600MHz

PS: 250 watts

GPU: None, only fits low-profile cards

And here's what I'm thinking about getting:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DPnbd6 (includes all the stuff I have)

EDIT: Added link to PC Part Picker

Edited by techdude92

My issue is that I can't put anything new in that case. It will only fit low profile graphics cards and the power supply is only 250 watts, and if I'm going to spend money on a graphics card, I'd rather invest in one I can take into a better machine down the road, and that'll necessitate a new case and a new power supply. My initial investment isn't that bad as I got a decent processor and a motherboard for $40, and I'm not looking to play Crysis 3 at ultra high, just something to play CS:GO better than my MacBook Pro

Power-supply can't be swapped because it's a proprietary PSU for the dell case, and I'm looking for a system to expand. E.G I'll get the PSU, GFX card and case I want for my future ideal build, and just re-use the rest of the components. I don't mind the hassle, because I'm taking it slow, upgrading very gradually. The old components are only 3-4 years old from what I've researched, and the stuff I'm hoping to buy will last for a while.