Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

Pc Build

Shadequad

why is that

Don't listen to him, trust me. You'll want to overclock.

If you haven't already bought a graphics card, I highly suggest MSI. They'll replace your graphics card if it breaks from overclocking with their program. Get MSI Afterburner for GPU overclocking. Look up "(Brand name) (GTX or another model?) (Number, ex: 960, 1080, etc) overclock settings" and see what people are using that works best.

As for overclocking your CPU, you must make sure that you get a CPU that has a "K" at the end, this means that it is unlocked and can be overclocked. Personally, my BIOS allows me to overclock straight from there, yours might too. Do the same thing as earlier and look up overclocking settings.

If you need any help, let me know. I build computers. :)

• Like 1

Yeah I have an i7 6700k, z170 gaming m5 motherboard, Msi too.

I've got a Msi gtx 1080, which i love so much XD

I just find it difficult on what to do, honestly have never seen a guide to HOW to overclocking, I know specifications more or less, but I just need to learn how to

The question you should first ask yourself is not how to overclock your CPU but why would you overclock your CPU. You already have one of the highest base CPU frequency available in Intel's low price category. Overclocking might be tempting to extend the useful life of an old CPU when it begins to have some difficulty keeping pace to play new games. However, I would strongly recommend you to start using your new build without overclocking your CPU and to overclock it only if needed (execution of highly CPU demanding applications [not gaming]).

If you are still into overclocking, I would strongly recommend you to start with this guide (http://www.intel.com...-overclock.html) from Intel. Ah and notice this warning at the end : “Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of system and components for additional details.â€

Here the link for the software shown in the guide: https://downloadcent...lity-Intel-XTU-

• Like 2

Overclocking is usually straight forward once you know what you are doing. Unlocked processors are definitely better for new overclockers.

Every processor has a overclock guide which recommends how much you should overclock to stay in the safety zone for an average build with the said processor. It takes you step by step the clock ratio, the voltage and anything else that the BIOS desires you to enter manually.

I recommend never using a program as they usually cause issues or don't work as planned.

If you are worried about an overclock not working out and causing damage, CPU's that are not configured properly usually blue screen or just turn themselves off although beware that it isn't always a good sign. PSU should always be a bit higher than a recommended one for the components you get (if you are using a calculator).

For a decent example to rest your mind about the process here is my overclock:

I'm running a 750 Bronze supply (actually it might be gold, i cant remember) with an overclock to 4.3Ghz from base clock 3.9. It isn't the biggest but there is definitly a noticable different. the temps arent to bad, hitting around 30+ C at startup idle to 40+ C after about 30 mins of use. During most games or intensive programs (no not chrome), I usually balance about 49-62, going usually no higher (as it probably shouldn't). This can be pulled off with decent air cooling, but the airflow needs to be good enough. I am using a water cooler, an AIO to be specific. Custom or AIO, don't really matter to be honest. AIO's are easy as piss to setup if you are new to them.

Front rad has proved to be not only most convenient but slightly better with cooling, considering other components such as GPU also. I recommend this unless you are unable to for some reason. Corsair AIO's are highly rated as they are highly efficient and are just fucking awesome. They run well, very rarely, breaking lasting for fucking ages. Please be aware that overtime water dissipates ( I think that is the scientific term ) so I would say every 9 months, top the loop up just a tiny bit. Empty all the water, add a bit and put it back in.

GPU's are probably easier to overclock as they just work better and feel safer on overclock. They can hit much higher temps and don't usually require water cooling for a decent overclock. Many gpus auto overclock in the software that comes with them. MSI afterburner is probably a must for a good stable overclock although EVGA's software isn't the worst I've seen. I would recommend a user variable overclock though.

I've probably explained way more than you wanted to know, but when im fucked i can go on for hours. Hope this was helpful and stuff.

sweet g,.

• Like 1

With the parts you mention overclocking won't do much at all unless you're trying to get the highest scores on 3d mark benchmarks. You'd be risking your parts with beginner over clocking for no reason at all. Like gabil asked in his post, what is your reason for doing it. I've used a 6700k before and never thought I needed to OC it for any reason even for making videos. Right now I'm on a 4790k running stock clocks and it's doing fine, I've had it oc'ed to 4.8 and found it point less and pretty much just raised my temps. I find overclocking as only being more useful when it comes to older CPUs that can't keep up running their stock speeds. If you still plan to go through with it I'd follow kn's advice of not using desktop programs to OC your CPU and instead do it through BIOS where most current motherboards make it super easy to OC, sometimes even at the click of a single button.

• Like 1