Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads

What Is The Overall Consensus On My Build?

Switch out that 4790k for a more up to date i7, either a 6700k or 7700k. Reason you can't find a price on that motherboard is because it's kind of outdated, it's for 4th gen i7 when the current line up is on 6th and 7th gen. That's kind of also why your ram is so expensive yet so slow, ddr3 at 1600mhz was good years ago but now you're throwing away money when you could go for the newer CPUs that supports faster ddr4 ram that actually cost about the same as what you have selected now. I would also suggest switching out the hybrid 4tb HDD for a regular 4tb HDD that runs 7200 rpm.

So what exactly is your budget for this build and what do you intend to do with it? Here's a list that makes a lot more sense within the $2,000-$2,500 range https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zPmy9W

Holy mother of wtf overkill

2200$ PC

No m.2 SSD?

1600 Mhz ram?

No win 10 Pro?

Where dat cooler at doe?

4TB hybrid drive, but already has a 500GB SSD?

2k 60Hz monitor?

Also who the fuck uses an optical drive nowadays

Windows 10: I have no need for windows 10 pro.

Cooler: Some parts are a bundle, the CPU comes with a cooler.

Price: It will be lower by a few hundred dollars with the modifications I am making from your suggestions.

RAM and Monitor: Is 1600 too much or too little? Your wording was confusing. The same for the monitor, is 60Hz good or not good?

Switch out that 4790k for a more up to date i7, either a 6700k or 7700k. Reason you can't find a price on that motherboard is because it's kind of outdated, it's for 4th gen i7 when the current line up is on 6th and 7th gen. That's kind of also why your ram is so expensive yet so slow, ddr3 at 1600mhz was good years ago but now you're throwing away money when you could go for the newer CPUs that supports faster ddr4 ram that actually cost about the same as what you have selected now. I would also suggest switching out the hybrid 4tb HDD for a regular 4tb HDD that runs 7200 rpm.

So what exactly is your budget for this build and what do you intend to do with it? Here's a list that makes a lot more sense within the $2,000-$2,500 range https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zPmy9W

Thank you for the suggestions. The new list is: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rTRND8

My budget is about the same as the price of the planned build. Though I would like to keep it below or above $2,000 by only a few hundred dollars. I must thank you all in advance whatever the outcome of this may be for helping me improve the build and cut the price a bit. Glad to see we have a large amount of individuals who know a lot about building. And finally, my purpose is for gaming as well as using a recently released flight simulator I plan on purchasing known as X-Plane 11, which takes up a large amount of RAM and other things, hence the bulkiness of the parts therein.

overkill

IDK what you are doing with your computer whether you are doing photoshop, CADing, etc. but, thats is straight overkill. I wouldn't recommend going over 1000$ but if money isn't an issue then go right ahead.

It may sound overkill, but I plan on running an intensive flight simulator as well as play a plethora of other games that I am unable to download due to a storage shortage on my current computer. That is not to mention the fact games in the future will be a lot more intensive, thus it is optimal to prepare for the future by purchasing a build that is considered overkill today. This will be a computer that I could stretch for years before an upgrade is needed, thus saving me money in the future. This is an investment in my eyes.

Whoa mate. So your updated list is 404'd, but if it's close to the suggested list you might be fine.

I'd definitely go for one of the 7th gen i7 models if you're trying to spend that much. 4th gen is going to hold you back, and you can get the i7-7700K for about $300 and then get to use DDR4-2400 Ram instead of what you had originally.

That Asus mobo isn't bad, but you might be able to save a few bucks with an MSI board that is just as good, if not better.

A 250GB SSD is probably the sweet spot. You really wont need a large amount of space unless you are throwing tons of movies or games on there. I have about 30 games, 200 Songs, 2 movies, Android SDKs, and a ton of other programs on my 500GB SSD, but I'm right about at my limit and I got 500GB because it's on my laptop and is the only drive I have. I probably wouldn't go for a 4 TB HDD, because by the time you would fill that up, prices will drop drastically and you could get 16 TB for the price of that 4 TB.

As far as RAM goes, it's always better to max out the channels for best performance. If your board has 4 slots, get 4x4GB or 4x8GB. 16 GB is probably more than enough for just about anything, but if you feel like maxing out now, 32 GB will last you for the life of your computer.

And for the video card, you could go 1080 Ti, or you could splurge a little more and get (2) 1070 cards and put them in sli.

It may sound overkill, but I plan on running an intensive flight simulator as well as play a plethora of other games that I am unable to download due to a storage shortage on my current computer. That is not to mention the fact games in the future will be a lot more intensive, thus it is optimal to prepare for the future by purchasing a build that is considered overkill today. This will be a computer that I could stretch for years before an upgrade is needed, thus saving me money in the future. This is an investment in my eyes.

what flight sims do you want to play? what games do you want to play? at what resolution? Fps? MMos? singleplayers?

what flight sims do you want to play? what games do you want to play? at what resolution? Fps? MMos? singleplayers?

Whoa mate. So your updated list is 404'd, but if it's close to the suggested list you might be fine.

I'd definitely go for one of the 7th gen i7 models if you're trying to spend that much. 4th gen is going to hold you back, and you can get the i7-7700K for about $300 and then get to use DDR4-2400 Ram instead of what you had originally.

That Asus mobo isn't bad, but you might be able to save a few bucks with an MSI board that is just as good, if not better.

A 250GB SSD is probably the sweet spot. You really wont need a large amount of space unless you are throwing tons of movies or games on there. I have about 30 games, 200 Songs, 2 movies, Android SDKs, and a ton of other programs on my 500GB SSD, but I'm right about at my limit and I got 500GB because it's on my laptop and is the only drive I have. I probably wouldn't go for a 4 TB HDD, because by the time you would fill that up, prices will drop drastically and you could get 16 TB for the price of that 4 TB.

As far as RAM goes, it's always better to max out the channels for best performance. If your board has 4 slots, get 4x4GB or 4x8GB. 16 GB is probably more than enough for just about anything, but if you feel like maxing out now, 32 GB will last you for the life of your computer.

And for the video card, you could go 1080 Ti, or you could splurge a little more and get (2) 1070 cards and put them in sli.

-The flight sim I plan on playing is X-Plane 11. The settings recommended for the game can be found at: http://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-system-requirements/

- I have looked into the 1080 ti, but it is double the price of my currently selected video card, and due to the fact it is not drastically better, I will probably not get it unless I make a major price-cutting change to my build.

New link is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Yycjc

-The flight sim I plan on playing is X-Plane 11. The settings recommended for the game can be found at: http://www.x-plane.c...m-requirements/

- I have looked into the 1080 ti, but it is double the price of my currently selected video card, and due to the fact it is not drastically better, I will probably not get it unless I make a major price-cutting change to my build.

i'd highly suggest getting a 6700k/7700k and if possible the 1080ti (single card) so your build will last longer for future games.

are you going for a triple monitor setup? 1080p or something crazy? 3x 1440p monitors?

-later in life- after doing some research I think your sim will benefit from having more ram

-edit- just saw your most recent post. Yeah something like that lol.

also let me save you a few dollahs

https://www.kinguin.net/category/22175/windows-10-home-oem-key/

I HIGHLY suggest you get an SSD at least to hold your os + flightsim + another few things on there

Edited by FrostByte

i'd highly suggest getting a 6700k/7700k and if possible the 1080ti (single card) so your build will last longer for future games.

are you going for a triple monitor setup? 1080p or something crazy? 3x 1440p monitors?

-later in life- after doing some research I think your sim will benefit from having more ram

- Yes, I updated the part list to include a 7700k

- It was also upgraded to include a 1080, though I still do not think it is worth the money to futureproof with a 1080ti, as it is not siginificantly better than the 1080.

I plan on starting with one monitor, but may later upgrade to a double monitor system. If I stick with the plan of getting a 1440, then it would be dual 1440.

- It was also upgraded to include a 1080, though I still do not think it is worth the money to futureproof with a 1080ti, as it is not siginificantly better than the 1080.

I plan on starting with one monitor, but may later upgrade to a double monitor system. If I stick with the plan of getting a 1440, then it would be dual 1440.

I'm fairly certain that your game will look nice at 60fps and will probably not go past 70fps? so no need for high refreshrate monitors

your build looks ready! but I really really suggest you get a cheaper copy of w10 and get a SSD

I'm fairly certain that your game will look nice at 60fps and will probably not go past 70fps? so no need for high refreshrate monitors

your build looks ready! but I really really suggest you get a cheaper copy of w10 and get a SSD

What about a hybrid drive? Do you have any experience with those? Somebody earlier pointed out the fact that I had an SSD and an SSHD, so I removed the SSD. Do they work as well as an SSD?

What about a hybrid drive? Do you have any experience with those? Somebody earlier pointed out the fact that I had an SSD and an SSHD, so I removed the SSD. Do they work as well as an SSD?

I prefer to have a dedicated ssd to my os + a few games/programs. (faster load times/startup)

I think hybrid drives use to be popular because SSDs were really expensive back in the day. a hybrid drive is for sure better then a regular harddrive.

New link is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Yycjc

Your updated list is making more sense now except for that hybrid drive. There is no real benefit in all around speed on that hybrid drive because the mechanical side of the HDD is still operating at only 5900rpm compared to the rest of the regular drives that run at 7200rpm. The way those hybrid drives work is just by having a large cache size, usually around 8gb big which just caches what ever you are doing for a bit of a faster load the next time you use it so that's why those drives will never come close to the speed of an SSD and barely makes a difference compared to a regular drive. I suggest switching it out for a regular 2tb or 4tb that runs at 7200 rpm. Also for future proofing the 1080ti would be the best choice as it is actually 35% faster compared to the regular 1080 which is better than the 25% difference the 980ti had with the 980. It's also priced at close to what the regular 1080 started to sell at so it makes the 1080 less of a bang for your buck considering the TIs release price. Another thing to remember about the 1080ti is the fact that it actually performs better than a full fledge Titan XP and still at around half the price.

It's a pretty solid build. I like it, but I'm not sure I would go with a 4k dell monitor. 4k is nice, but that one isn't even really built for gaming (although I'm sure it would handle it fine.)

I would personally go with a Ultra-wide monitor which you can get bigger and cheaper. It's all personal preference though. In an ultra-wide set up you don't really want to go dual screen, and also not all games support the 21:9 aspect ratio, so you either get distortion or have to play with horizontal black bars. It looks like your flight sim supports this ratio just fine since it handles custom resolutions, but you might have better experience across the board with a 4k instead. Of course the Windows 10 UI still doesn't fully support 4k or ultra-wide natively, but I'm sure that's soon to change.

Last Note: You probably don't need Win10 Pro, but I find it nicer to have. You get more control over the updates and such, but if you don't really care, it's probably just the same to get the home version. Also, I'd personally go either Asus mobo & Asus 1080 or MSI mobo & MSI 1080, but that's just because I'm a little bit OCD and like the matching stuff. It would bug me too much looking into the side of the clear case and having mismatched components. Lol.

It's a pretty solid build. I like it, but I'm not sure I would go with a 4k dell monitor. 4k is nice, but that one isn't even really built for gaming (although I'm sure it would handle it fine.)

I would personally go with a Ultra-wide monitor which you can get bigger and cheaper. It's all personal preference though. In an ultra-wide set up you don't really want to go dual screen, and also not all games support the 21:9 aspect ratio, so you either get distortion or have to play with horizontal black bars. It looks like your flight sim supports this ratio just fine since it handles custom resolutions, but you might have better experience across the board with a 4k instead. Of course the Windows 10 UI still doesn't fully support 4k or ultra-wide natively, but I'm sure that's soon to change.

Last Note: You probably don't need Win10 Pro, but I find it nicer to have. You get more control over the updates and such, but if you don't really care, it's probably just the same to get the home version. Also, I'd personally go either Asus mobo & Asus 1080 or MSI mobo & MSI 1080, but that's just because I'm a little bit OCD and like the matching stuff. It would bug me too much looking into the side of the clear case and having mismatched components. Lol.

I have OCD too, but uneven things dont bother me, so I don't see mismatched things as an issue. I am still not set on the monitor, but my mother works for dell, so I would like to see if there is any possible discount. I will have to continue searching in that department, though.

• Like 1

I have OCD too, but uneven things don't bother me, so I don't see mismatched things as an issue. I am still not set on the monitor, but my mother works for dell, so I would like to see if there is any possible discount. I will have to continue searching in that department, though.

That would be the only reason I would buy a dell then. Still, it looks like they only give employees 17% off, and you can pick up some on sale at a better rate. They might have a warehouse program for discontinued equipment that they sell to employees or something. Idk, definitely worth checking into though.

• 2 weeks later...